Trip to Heck ... I mean NJ/NY

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
terryg
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Trip to Heck ... I mean NJ/NY

Post by terryg »

I will be leaving in the morning ... sadly my hardware will be staying behind. :banghead:

Thanks for the confirmation ...
... this space intentionally left blank ...

steelhawk
Posts in topic: 1

Post by steelhawk »

Of the states I will probably never visit, New Jersey is top of the list. NY and Illinois are on the list, but they have some sights I would like to see. I can't think of any in NJ, though.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

steelhawk wrote:Of the states I will probably never visit, New Jersey is top of the list. NY and Illinois are on the list, but they have some sights I would like to see. I can't think of any in NJ, though.
Yeah, I have family in IL. They have some cool Abraham Lincoln stuff there.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hirundo82 »

Excaliber wrote:
Middle Age Russ wrote:Kinda makes me wonder if slingshots are regulated there. I bet if the authorities have looked into it, ammo pouches are probably limited to no more than ten projectiles, though.
The answer is yes, of course.

Here's a link to an attorney's overview of what's prohibited.

Scroll down the page to the "Other Prohibited Items" heading to find slingshots.

New Jersey is a bit of the UK in the U.S. About the only thing you can legally do when attacked in New Jersey is submit and die.
Interesting. I would have sworn they were referring to a slungshot, which is a different weapon and is prohibited by a number of states (used to be a favored weapon among sailors). However, it appears that the New Jersey Code does indeed prohibit slingshots.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 5

Post by canvasbck »

I hate to resurrect and old thread, but I have a dilemma that wasn’t quite answered above.

Mrs. Canvasbck and I are heading up to Moutain Top, PA for her nephew’s graduation. The weekend that we are going to be up there, the local IDPA club is hosting their monthly match. I was going to take the BIL to the match. We were shopping around for airfare and flying into Newark and renting a car from there was going to be very cost effective. Is there ANY way to legally transport my IDPA gun and a couple hundred rounds of ammo through Naziland, I mean, NJ?
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

canvasbck wrote:I hate to resurrect and old thread, but I have a dilemma that wasn’t quite answered above.

Mrs. Canvasbck and I are heading up to Moutain Top, PA for her nephew’s graduation. The weekend that we are going to be up there, the local IDPA club is hosting their monthly match. I was going to take the BIL to the match. We were shopping around for airfare and flying into Newark and renting a car from there was going to be very cost effective. Is there ANY way to legally transport my IDPA gun and a couple hundred rounds of ammo through Naziland, I mean, NJ?
Newark, Laguardia and JFK are the places that you will DEFINATELY get arrested for any possesion. I would fly into Philly or somewhere west of there instead. Stay out of NJ, NY, CT, MA and DC.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Keith B wrote:
canvasbck wrote:I hate to resurrect and old thread, but I have a dilemma that wasn’t quite answered above.

Newark, Laguardia and JFK are the places that you will DEFINATELY get arrested for any possesion. I would fly into Philly or somewhere west of there instead. Stay out of NJ, NY, CT, MA and DC.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: How are they openly violating federal laws??? (18 USC 926(A))

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

canvasbck wrote: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: How are they openly violating federal laws??? (18 USC 926(A))
I repeat, it's NJ, NY, MS, DC.....
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

I'm not trying to be argumentative/hardheaded here, but the NJ state police have this on their website regarding transporting firearms through NJ.
All firearms transported through the State of New Jersey:
The following guidelines are provided in order to assist law enforcement officers in applying New Jersey's firearms laws to persons who are transporting firearms through the State of New Jersey.

I.New Jersey laws governing firearms permits, purchaser identification cards, registration and licenses do not apply to a person who is transporting the firearm through this State if that person is transporting the firearm in a manner permitted by federal law, 18 U.S.C.A. 926A.

II.This federal law permitting interstate transportation of a firearm applies only if all of the following requirements are met:

A.
The person's possession of the firearm was lawful in the state in which the journey began;

B.
The person's possession of the firearm will be lawful in the state in which the journey will end;

C.
The person is transporting the firearm for lawful purpose

D.
The firearm is unloaded

E.
The firearm is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle

F.
The ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle

G.
If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console;
Where/how would the arrest take place?

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

canvasbck wrote:
F. The ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle

G.
If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console;
The last arrest at Newark airport that turned into a lengthy court case, the issue hinged upon the firearm transporter having the firearm and ammunition "accessible". NJ claimed that carrying them in a suitcase between the car and the airport counter made them "accessible".

It's been a couple years, so I do not remember the guy's name, but this was a famous case that had the NRA involved and hit all the gun forums.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jimlongley »

Middle Age Russ wrote:Kinda makes me wonder if slingshots are regulated there. I bet if the authorities have looked into it, ammo pouches are probably limited to no more than ten projectiles, though.
Yes, they are.

S 265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree.
A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth
degree when:
(1) He or she possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic
stun gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal
knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, plastic knuckles,
metal knuckles, chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type
slingshot or slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"; or

In the years that I lived in NY and fought the gun laws there, I was never able to find anyone who could define what a "slungshot" is. And a court has held that even though a slingshot does not have a wrist brace, it is still covered.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

canvasbck wrote:I'm not trying to be argumentative/hardheaded here, but the NJ state police have this on their website regarding transporting firearms through NJ.
All firearms transported through the State of New Jersey:
The following guidelines are provided in order to assist law enforcement officers in applying New Jersey's firearms laws to persons who are transporting firearms through the State of New Jersey.

I.New Jersey laws governing firearms permits, purchaser identification cards, registration and licenses do not apply to a person who is transporting the firearm through this State if that person is transporting the firearm in a manner permitted by federal law, 18 U.S.C.A. 926A.

II.This federal law permitting interstate transportation of a firearm applies only if all of the following requirements are met:

A.
The person's possession of the firearm was lawful in the state in which the journey began;

B.
The person's possession of the firearm will be lawful in the state in which the journey will end;

C.
The person is transporting the firearm for lawful purpose

D.
The firearm is unloaded

E.
The firearm is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle

F.
The ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle

G.
Applies ONLY to transporting through the state in a vehicle, not to checking it at the airport.

Newark airport is part of the The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey, and as such they are policed by a non-New Jersey police department and they follow NY City's laws on possession of firearms.

And of course the airlines are acting as police agents by reporting people attempting to legally check bags containing firearms.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

jimlongley wrote: In the years that I lived in NY and fought the gun laws there, I was never able to find anyone who could define what a "slungshot" is. And a court has held that even though a slingshot does not have a wrist brace, it is still covered.
Slungshot--aka "slingshot" or "monkey fist". Commonly associated with sailors, who were known to use them as weapons. Not what we think of when we hear "slingshot" these days, but there are still laws prohibiting them on the books in a number of states (and not all are anti-self defense states--Florida prohibits the,, for one).
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

hirundo82 wrote:
jimlongley wrote: In the years that I lived in NY and fought the gun laws there, I was never able to find anyone who could define what a "slungshot" is. And a court has held that even though a slingshot does not have a wrist brace, it is still covered.
Slungshot--aka "slingshot" or "monkey fist". Commonly associated with sailors, who were known to use them as weapons. Not what we think of when we hear "slingshot" these days, but there are still laws prohibiting them on the books in a number of states (and not all are anti-self defense states--Florida prohibits the,, for one).
I know that and you know that, but walking the halls of the Capital and Legislative Office Building, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who knew that.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

canvasbck wrote:
Keith B wrote:

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: How are they openly violating federal laws??? (18 USC 926(A))
Easy

In those places, the letter of the law is only a suggestion. Radical left politics reigns supreme, and all the powers of the state are brought to bear against freedom. If you're thinking that the U.S. Justice Department should take action to stop violations of federal law, you need to reconsider who those laws affect (law abiding citizens), who leads that department, and his record of adherence to and defense of federal laws.

The bottom line is that's what a state gets when citizens elect thugs who act in this manner and then reelect them over and over. Elections have consequences.

And yes, it can happen here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “Other States”