Are HB 508 and SB 1907 the Main Sausage Left

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Are HB 508 and SB 1907 the Main Sausage Left

Post by puma guy »

I see they are still assigning conferees to Bills so what happens after that action? Do they report back to the full body and if so what is the timeline or deadline.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

artx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by artx »

HB 508 update - Senate conference committee report filed - http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=HB508

Not sure if this means they reached agreement with the House conference committee members or not.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

artx wrote:HB 508 update - Senate conference committee report filed - http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=HB508

Not sure if this means they reached agreement with the House conference committee members or not.
Watching some newly installed sod take root in my yard is faster than this!

jmra
Posts in topic: 8

Post by jmra »

puma guy wrote:
artx wrote:HB 508 update - Senate conference committee report filed - http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=HB508

:iagree: must be a better way to do this stuff.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

jmra wrote:
puma guy wrote:

For 99% of new laws (since most of them further restrict liberty instead of advancing it), I want it to be a slow and difficult process. I don't want new laws passed at the drop of a hat.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

jmra

Post by jmra »

Jumping Frog wrote:
jmra wrote:
puma guy wrote:

For 99% of new laws (since most of them further restrict liberty instead of advancing it), I want it to be a slow and difficult process. I don't want new laws passed at the drop of a hat.
:iagree: but this is a far cry fro m a drop of a hat.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

jmra wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:
jmra wrote:
puma guy wrote:

:iagree: but this is a far cry fro m a drop of a hat.
There was a bill which failed, I believe, that did much the same thing as this amendment. The troubling part is using the amendment process to get something done that didn't pass muster before. Especially at the last minute. I don't know anything about Sen. Carona except he puts himself above us "plain folks" and has no problem jeopardizing a bill that has had great support in both houses. While I agree legislation should been done carefully and cautiously, this is not a process I support. We all know even if HB508 doesn't pass he'd get off scott free if he was caught violating an improper 30.06 where as us plain folks would be spending time, money to fight an arrest and probably some time in jail. And during that time our weapon would be taken and probably never returned w/o a lot of frustration, attorney costs, etc.

Topic author
2firfun50
Posts in topic: 19

Post by 2firfun50 »

The conference committee report is posted here. http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=HB508" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks to me like they took the special permission portion of the amendment and moved it to a "defense to prosecution". However, all the good stuff for us "regular" folks is still in there. Yeah, I know it stinks and attaching failed bills to good bills is political trickery, but we need this bill!!!! Smell and all.

Rrash
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Rrash »

puma guy wrote:The troubling part is using the amendment process to get something done that didn't pass muster before. Especially at the last minute. I don't know anything about Sen. Carona except he puts himself above us "plain folks" and has no problem jeopardizing a bill that has had great support in both houses. While I agree legislation should been done carefully and cautiously, this is not a process I support. We all know even if HB508 doesn't pass he'd get off scott free if he was caught violating an improper 30.06 where as us plain folks would be spending time, money to fight an arrest and probably some time in jail. And during that time our weapon would be taken and probably never returned w/o a lot of frustration, attorney costs, etc.
That is something important to remember when it is time to vote. Don't just look at the NRA grades, remember their trickery in the past. Regardless of whether or not this bill passes, we should remember this stuff as voters.

CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

2firfun50 wrote:The conference committee report is posted here. http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=HB508" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks to me like they took the special permission portion of the amendment and moved it to a "defense to prosecution". However, all the good stuff for us "regular" folks is still in there. Yeah, I know it stinks and attaching failed bills to good bills is political trickery, but we need this bill!!!! Smell and all.
As was said, it is better for we lower class folk to have it rather than not, BUT...

Assuming that this passes as the conference committee recommends, the negative politics of it for those "special" people in the legislature are going to be potentially. highly inflammatory.

Imagine what will be written and said when the news media gets word of it and finds out that the legislators have allowed themselves the authority to legally:

46.02 (does not apply)
1. carry while engaged in criminal activity,
2. carry exposed,

46.03 (does not apply)
3. carry at a school,
4. carry at a polling station,
5. carry at a racetrack,
6. carry in the secured area of an airport,

46.035 (defense to prosecution)
7. carry in a bar,
8. carry at various sporting events,
9. carry while intoxicated

This could be interesting (fun) to watch. :lol::

tarkus

Post by tarkus »

Rrash wrote:That is something important to remember when it is time to vote. Don't just look at the NRA grades, remember their trickery in the past. Regardless of whether or not this bill passes, we should remember this stuff as voters.
:iagree: It's valuable insight into their character.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's on the internet, thank a geek.

scud runner

Post by scud runner »

tarkus wrote:
Rrash wrote:That is something important to remember when it is time to vote. Don't just look at the NRA grades, remember their trickery in the past. Regardless of whether or not this bill passes, we should remember this stuff as voters.
:iagree: It's valuable insight into their character.

[ Image ]
It's not just the communists. Special rights for the "elites" was typical for the governments of King George and Santa Ana.

The best thing decent people can do if that Carona crap becomes law is make sure none of the current crop will never, ever enjoy their un-American, anti-Texan perks after the next election. :patriot: :txflag:

Rrash
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Rrash »

I wouldn't compare these guys to Stalin, King George, or Santa Ana. I'm just saying that if they are willing to sneak some amendment that is not related to the bill in, its time to consider other candidates. If this were actually done, I think a lot of politicians would think twice before trying this kind of shadiness.

artx

Post by artx »

Before y'all run Carona out of town on a rail, have you looked at the pro 2a bills he has helped with in the past? There are a lot.

Also, after watching the TX legislature fairly closely for 4 sessions now, I agree with Chas that Carona's amendment helps pass a bill like hb3218 in upcoming sessions. Before going with the emotional response, think about how pro gun laws actuall get passed in Texas.

The general flow of pro 2a bills that are contraversal in the TX legislature goes like this:

1) Exposure - bill is introduced but has little chance for passage. May get a committee hearing or one house floor vote, but not tremendous progress.
2) Groundswell of support and debate - bill is heavily debated in committee, is supported by a sizable 'contact your reps/senators campaign', may get through one house but ultimately fails. This can continue for several sessions (employer parking lots is good example). TSRA, NRA lobbyists help generate support and influence representatives/senators to vote for the bill.
3) bill overcomes hurdles and is eventually passed. Examples like the HB 508 modifications help here (hey, you allowed yourselves to do this! Besides, nothing bad happened, just like we predicted).

TSRA and their lobbyist (Alice Tripp) helps tremendously with this process.

In short, do I like the 'some animals are more equal than others' scenario as it exists for a couple years? Of course not. But I can see how it can help long term.

FYI judges and prosecutors today can carry into off limits locations.

jmra

Post by jmra »

artx wrote:Before y'all run Carona out of town on a rail, have you looked at the pro 2a bills he has helped with in the past? There are a lot.

Also, after watching the TX legislature fairly closely for 4 sessions now, I agree with Chas that Carona's amendment helps pass a bill like hb3218 in upcoming sessions. Before going with the emotional response, think about how pro gun laws actuall get passed in Texas.

The general flow of pro 2a bills that are contraversal in the TX legislature goes like this:

1) Exposure - bill is introduced but has little chance for passage. May get a committee hearing or one house floor vote, but not tremendous progress.
2) Groundswell of support and debate - bill is heavily debated in committee, is supported by a sizable 'contact your reps/senators campaign', may get through one house but ultimately fails. This can continue for several sessions (employer parking lots is good example). TSRA, NRA lobbyists help generate support and influence representatives/senators to vote for the bill.
3) bill overcomes hurdles and is eventually passed. Examples like the HB 508 modifications help here (hey, you allowed yourselves to do this! Besides, nothing bad happened, just like we predicted).

TSRA and their lobbyist (Alice Tripp) helps tremendously with this process.

In short, do I like the 'some animals are more equal than others' scenario as it exists for a couple years? Of course not. But I can see how it can help long term.

FYI judges and prosecutors today can carry into off limits locations.
:iagree: in the long term I believe in works in our favor.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”