Rule Reminder: The Forum is Non-commercial!

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Rule Reminder: The Forum is Non-commercial!

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

It seems that we are seeing an increasing number of Members using the Forum primarily if not exclusively to sell items or post firearms training classes. Please review and comply with Rules 13, 14 and 18 set out below. There is a setting in the software that allows us to prohibit anyone from being able to post in the Market Sections or in the class listing section and we have used this feature on rare occasions. It will be used more frequently if rule violations continue, so if any Member is using the Forum as free advertising/selling, don't be surprised to see there's no "Post" button when in the market sections. Don't bother sending a PM to a Moderator complaining; the rules are clear and the Forum will remain non-commercial.

Here's a brief summary of Rules 13, 14 & 18:

1. Don't post anything for sale, or advertise training classes, until you have 45 posts. ("Me too" posts to run up post count will be deleted.)
2. If over 40% of a Members posts are in the Market Sections, they will be blocked from posting in those sections or listing classes.
3. All items listed for sale (including classes) must state an asking price.
4. Links to another website for the item are not permitted, but a link to your website concerning classes is fine.
5. Do not post more than one class of the same type at a time; ex. two different CHL classes. Posting different classes is fine (ex. 1 CHL & 1 NRA class).
5. If your signature line has a link to your website, or any commercial site, a backlink to TexasCHLforum.com must be on that website, or in your signature line on the other website if it is not under your control.
6. Business logos cannot be used in signature lines or as an avatar.
7. Business names cannot be used as usernames.

Over the years, I've had numerous requests to allow advertising and to purchase the TexasCHLforum. Some of those offers have been very tempting, but I do not want the Forum to be commercialized. The market sections are here for our Members convenience, not to provide free advertising for people conducting business. I must confess that I'm growing less tolerant of people ignoring the market section rules, so please take this warning seriously, if you are one of the few to whom this post is directed.

Chas.
TexasCHLforum Rules wrote:TexasCHLforum is non-commercial!! With limited exceptions set out below in Rules 13, 14 & 18, do not advertise your business.
13. Posting items for sale/trade in the Market Section Except for the FFL subsection, the Market is intended solely for participating members (posts, not money) of TexasCHLforum.com. It was created as a courtesy to, and for the convenience of, our members, not as an open forum for marketing. Members must reach "Member" status, i.e. 45 posts, before posting anything for sale in the Market Section. (The transition from "Junior Member" to "Member" is done automatically.) If the majority of a Member's posts are in the market sections, they will be blocked from posting items for sale. Further, "for sale" posts cannot have a link to an auction website or any other website and all posts must list an asking price. All purchasers are strongly encouraged to get the full name, address and telephone number of a seller before purchasing an item and to verify that information. Refusal to provide that information to a purchaser will result in the seller being banned. If your signature line or the post contains a link to your website or any commercial website, a backlink to TexasCHLforum.com must be included in the linked site.

To avoid "for sale' threads from becoming stale, all threads will be locked and moved to the Closed section one month after the first post. Sellers, please edit the subject line to add "CLOSED" if the item is sold or withdrawn.

14. Posting classes in the Instructors, Classes & Training section. All posts in the Instructors, Classes & Training section must meet the requirements of Forum Rule 13. Post only one class at a time. If you have a website, you must post a link to the TexasCHLforum.com.

18. Business logos and use of business names as user names are prohibited Do not use a logo in signature lines, as an avatar, or in the body of posts. (Logos can be included in the body of a post, if it is germane to the subject matter of a post that is not commercial in nature.) This rule does not prohibit placing a link to your business website in your signature line once you have 45 meaningful posts, but such links must be in default font size. At no point can you use your business name as your username.

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Rule Reminder: The Forum is Non-commercial!

Post by RogueUSMC »

"Me Too"...lol...just kidding. This is one of the characteristics of this forum that I like the most (not having to sift through ads in the 'recent threads' listings) It ranks second only to the good folks that populate the forum, helping folks feel welcome and not feel like TOTAL noobs...lol

Thank you Charles for making this forum available. I have hosted forums in the past and it is a royal pain in the...well, I guess I am preachin' to the choir...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

TREKFAN

Post by TREKFAN »

So what if I just found a website, which I did, and they are selling ammo at 9.00 of 9mm and other types of ammo for great prices? Can I post something saying this place has ammo on sale? I have no affiliation with the business and my only motivation is to help people save money. The prices are good even before the crazy ammo rush. Also, thank you Chas and everyone else who keeps this site running.
Application, Fingerprints & CHL class done by 1-12-13
All documents mailed USPS 1-16-13
All Documents Received, background check under review 2-1-13
Background check complete 2/15

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

TREKFAN wrote:So what if I just found a website, which I did, and they are selling ammo at 9.00 of 9mm and other types of ammo for great prices? Can I post something saying this place has ammo on sale? I have no affiliation with the business and my only motivation is to help people save money. The prices are good even before the crazy ammo rush. Also, thank you Chas and everyone else who keeps this site running.
http://texaschlforum.com/viewforum.php?f=118" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: 7. Business names cannot be used as usernames.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

TREKFAN wrote:So what if I just found a website, which I did, and they are selling ammo at 9.00 of 9mm and other types of ammo for great prices? Can I post something saying this place has ammo on sale? I have no affiliation with the business and my only motivation is to help people save money. The prices are good even before the crazy ammo rush. Also, thank you Chas and everyone else who keeps this site running.
You should tell me before you post anything on the forum. :tiphat:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

OldCannon wrote:
[ Image ]
You're fine, you had that username before you started the business. Plus, OldCannon isn't Old Cannon Armory.

Chas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
OldCannon wrote:
[ Image ]
You're fine, you had that username before you started the business. Plus, OldCannon isn't Old Cannon Armory.

Chas.
Crud, I was hoping OldCannon was going to get busted. j/k

Glad this forum is ran with common sense instead of zero tolerance as some schools.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

mojo84 wrote: Crud, I was hoping OldCannon was going to get busted. j/k
"rlol"
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

RX8er wrote:
"rlol"
:totap: :nono: :headscratch :grumble

"rlol"

(Man, if it weren't for these smilies and ability to embed images, I'd never be able to make posts :lol: )
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

and this ^ is why I love you guys ;-)
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

OldCannon wrote:
RX8er wrote:
"rlol"
:totap: :nono: :headscratch :grumble

"rlol"

(Man, if it weren't for these smilies and ability to embed images, I'd never be able to make posts :lol: )
Or post our commercial guns in the for sale threads. :biggrinjester:
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

If your describing a holser you bought & want to share it with other is it not cool to mention the holster maker? Thanks
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Pecos wrote:If your describing a holser you bought & want to share it with other is it not cool to mention the holster maker? Thanks
Not a problem if you are doing a review of the holster and have no association with the holster manufacturer. We encourage our members to comment on products they like or recommend. The problem is those members who join only to promote their commercial products they are trying to sell.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”