CHL-6

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
2firfun50
Posts in topic: 1

CHL-6

Post by 2firfun50 »

From the posting yesterday on the DPS website, it looks like a CHL-6 is no longer required for Texas residents.
June 18, 2013
Passport-style Photos
For security purposes and processing efficiency, DPS is now utilizing the Texas Driver License or ID Card photo on file for Concealed Handgun Licenses. The CHL-6 (Photo Holder) is only required to be submitted by applicants who hold an out of state Driver License or Identification Card. A revised CHL-6 is now available in downloadable forms.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 5

Re: CHL-6

Post by sjfcontrol »

2firfun50 wrote:From the posting yesterday on the DPS website, it looks like a CHL-6 is no longer required for Texas residents.
June 18, 2013
Passport-style Photos
For security purposes and processing efficiency, DPS is now utilizing the Texas Driver License or ID Card photo on file for Concealed Handgun Licenses. The CHL-6 (Photo Holder) is only required to be submitted by applicants who hold an out of state Driver License or Identification Card. A revised CHL-6 is now available in downloadable forms.
Link?
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

OK -- I found it: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/ne ... pdates.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never Forget. Image

6 Point Star
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 6 Point Star »

Wonder if they will still let you send it in if you don't like your Drivers License Photo and have the Passport Photos remade? Does not list that as an option or would that mess up their system.

Jerry

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

They claimed it was also for security reasons, which makes sense. They don't want somebody to use a picture of a person that doesn't match the DL.
Never Forget. Image

6 Point Star
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 6 Point Star »

sjfcontrol wrote:They claimed it was also for security reasons, which makes sense. They don't want somebody to use a picture of a person that doesn't match the DL.
I thought that was what the photo that Morpho Trust takes was for when the do the fingerprints.

Jerry

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

6 Point Star wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:They claimed it was also for security reasons, which makes sense. They don't want somebody to use a picture of a person that doesn't match the DL.
I thought that was what the photo that Morpho Trust takes was for when the do the fingerprints.

Jerry
That would be so that they can prove who the FINGERPRINTS came from.
Never Forget. Image

bwilie

Post by bwilie »

I attended instructor school a few weeks ago and they told us officially during class that from now on they will only use Texas DL or Texas ID photos for the CHL's. They had too many photos that would not scan properly or that did not meet the size criteria, etc and using the DL photos already in the system streamlines the process. The only exception is if you have an out of state DL or ID. DPS would not have that in their system, so you would still need to download a CHL-6 form and send a picture.
TX CHL Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection in the Home
NRA Range Safety Officer

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

Thank you. It helps everyone for the new Instructors to post things like this. :tiphat:
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Papacub

Post by Papacub »

I saw this yesterday when checking DPS site for any updates. The top of the new CHL-6 Clearly states PHOTO HOLDER (submit only if applicant does not hold Texas DL/ID).

I've started making it a habit of checking the DPS website at least once a week to see if they have any updates.

:txflag:
Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified RSO
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Papacub wrote:I saw this yesterday when checking DPS site for any updates. The top of the new CHL-6 Clearly states PHOTO HOLDER (submit only if applicant does not hold Texas DL/ID).

I've started making it a habit of checking the DPS website at least once a week to see if they have any updates.

:txflag:
Wow! Really? Lets see, they had one update in April, an now one in June. The previous update was in 2010. They went three years without a whisper, so you check weekly? Well, post something here if you see anything new. :cheers2:
Never Forget. Image

Return to “Instructors' Corner”