Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Paint_dry
Posts in topic: 1

Rethinking my EDC

Post by Paint_dry »

Just a story showing that there is no magic bullet or caliber that will stop
a deranged and violent man.

http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/ ... n-the-job/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ddstuder

Re: Rethinking my EDC

Post by ddstuder »

If he had used a 1911 instead of a Glock, he would have only needed one bullet! "rlol" :mrgreen:
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Jason K
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jason K »

If he used a S&W .44 Magnum, he could blow a man's head clean off and not worry if he had fired five shots or six.....

10mmillie

Post by 10mmillie »

Good article. Glad to see the good guy won.

CC Italian
Posts in topic: 5

Post by CC Italian »

Once again I am not surprised. We can't have a rifle or shotgun at all times or in the officers case he was unable to gain access but for home defense purposes my wife and I always know if possible make our way to the long guns. Glad the officer made it out alive. His training obviously paid off!

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

ddstuder wrote:If he had used a 1911 instead of a Glock, he would have only needed one bullet! "rlol" :mrgreen:
Last I check but a .45 is a .45....I carry a small 9 mm most of the time off duty. I plan on being a good witness and can hit a target with the gun.
Sgt. Timothy Gramins who fired 17 .45-cal. rounds into a determined suspect before putting him down offers these lessons learned from his extraordinary fight for his life:

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

If it'd been a 10mm, the perp woulda burst into flames...
;-)
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Lol!I love the 10mm also and have taken large mule deer and hogs with single clean shots but I think this is a prime example of why handguns are never the best choice. Humans are not deer or hogs and our self consciousness changes everything. Also don't forget this guy could have been on any number of drugs.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Glad the LEO won.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Other then a cns hit loss of air then blood are the quickest ways to incapacitate. Think about the famous Miami shoot out with Fbi in 86. This is why long guns are far superior. They bring crippling physical damage to the body. Taking a round of 00 buck to the torso in most cases is an automatic fight stopper while I assume many handgun stops are compliance or psychological stops even if they die after the fact.

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

I don't know how many times I have heard someone say my 1911 only holds 8 rounds of 45 but 1 is all I need. I rather have a 20 or 12 gauge with 5-6 rounds of buck then a glock 17 in a home invasion. I have never understood the logic of a handgun as a primary but many would grab one over a shootgun or rifle because of capacity or maneuverability. You should have access to both but you know the old saying about a handgun is for fighting your way back to the rifle you should have never left!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

CC Italian wrote:Other then a cns hit loss of air then blood are the quickest ways to incapacitate. Think about the famous Miami shoot out with Fbi in 86. This is why long guns are far superior. They bring crippling physical damage to the body. Taking a round of 00 buck to the torso in most cases is an automatic fight stopper while I assume many handgun stops are compliance or psychological stops even if they die after the fact.
A LEO friend of mine was hit in the stomach with a .410 load of buckshot at nearly point blank. He went down on his back, drew his .357, and shot the perp in the forehead, right between the eyes. The bullet glanced off the perp's forehead and the guy shook the blow off and ran away. My friend's bowel was perforated in a few places. He was badly hurt, but neither the buckshot in his belly nor his .357 round in the other guy's forehead stopped the fight.

The difference between me and the officer in the OP's story is that he gets paid to confront the bad guys. My job is to avoid them, and to only draw my weapon and shoot when I cannot otherwise avoid the encounter. He should carry enough ammo to pull his pants down. I'm just not going to do that. His Glock 17 is a very good pistol, but my compact .45 conceals better. I don't bother denying that more ammo is better than less. That is manifestly true. But also, I'm getting on in years, and I'm just not going to carry 145 rounds of amm. It's better for me to eat tofu burgers too, but hey, there's a Sonic just a couple of blocks from my house.....

I used to keep a carbine with several 30 round magazines in the back of my car. A month ago, my son's car was broken into in his driveway during the night. The thief stole his radar detector. There was an AR carbine in the trunk of his car. The thief never looked in the trunk. Now he doesn't leave a carbine in his car any longer. I drive an SUV, and neither do I leave an AR in my car any longer......which means that I don't drive around with one either because I don't want to come out of Lowes or Sears and find that my windows have been smashed and my carbine is gone. Maybe if I lived in the country it would be different, but I don't. On the other hand, there would be fewer Sonics around, so.....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

I am with you on that TAM. Where I live I would be worried about a long gun getting stolen from my car. Sorry to hear about your officer friend but I think your story reiterate s the long gun. Also consider your friend got hit with about half the payload of a 20 gauge and a 1/3 of a 12 gauge. Just the. 410 as you said was enough to put him on his back!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Maybe if I lived in the country it would be different, but I don't. On the other hand, there would be fewer Sonics around, so.....
Maybe, but there might also be a DQ closer. :drool:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

xb12s

Post by xb12s »

C-dub wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Maybe if I lived in the country it would be different, but I don't. On the other hand, there would be fewer Sonics around, so.....
Maybe, but there might also be a DQ closer. :drool:
:lol:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”