Where does sound of a firing a gun come from?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Running Arrow Bill
Posts in topic: 1

Where does sound of a firing a gun come from?

Post by Running Arrow Bill »

Am curious. If one fires a gun inside of a vehicle or building, BUT the muzzle is outside of the structure, is the sound about the same as if you fired it in the open, outside? Thus, the sound comes from the muzzle, not the rest of the gun??

The practical point is that if someone shoots a predator inside their home, I imagine that one would be DEAF for a while due to the percussion effects.

Anyone have any real information on the above?

Thanks,
Bill
Running Arrow Farm, LLC
Wellington, TX. 79095
longhorncattle2013@gmail.ocom
Registered Texas Longhorn Cattle

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Where does sound of a firing a gun come from?

Post by puma guy »

Running Arrow Bill wrote:Am curious. If one fires a gun inside of a vehicle or building, BUT the muzzle is outside of the structure, is the sound about the same as if you fired it in the open, outside? Thus, the sound comes from the muzzle, not the rest of the gun??

The practical point is that if someone shoots a predator inside their home, I imagine that one would be DEAF for a while due to the percussion effects.

Thanks,
Bill
I can only tell you that I know for a fact shooting from my blind with the muzzle outside the structure is far, far less loud on my ears than if the muzzle is inside. Inside a building the sound bounces back.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Gunner4640

Post by Gunner4640 »

Running Arrow Bill wrote:Am curious. If one fires a gun inside of a vehicle or building, BUT the muzzle is outside of the structure, is the sound about the same as if you fired it in the open, outside? Thus, the sound comes from the muzzle, not the rest of the gun??

Thanks,
Bill
As long as the muzzle is out of a confined area the sound would be the same, except for echos etc if you're around buildings etc. Yep the sound comes from the muzzle end only. I've never fired indoors without being hearing protected. But have fired outside without hearing protection. Also in the heat of the moment I doubt you would even hear the shot indoors with (adrenalin - sp?) flowing cuz you would be focused on the BG. just my opinion. :txflag:
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

Panda

Post by Panda »

Rapidly expanding gasses cause the noise.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Panda wrote:Rapidly expanding gasses cause the noise.
Nope. It's from the little "tick" of the firing pin against the primer. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Panda wrote:Rapidly expanding gasses cause the noise.
If the projectile velocity is above 1126 fps there is also the sonic boom.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

android

Post by android »

On a rifle with the bolt close, the brass expands slightly and basically seals the breach momentarily, so most of the sound pressure is out of the muzzle.

Revolvers have the cylinder gap, so you will get sound from there and the muzzle. That's why it's stupid when you see suppressors on revolvers in the movies.

esxmarkc

Post by esxmarkc »

Man I can tell you from experience that if you are 16 years old and driving down a dirt road and stop, lean over, roll down the passenger window, get your borther's .44 mag out of his glove box and sit back up in the driver's seat, aim said .44 hogleg at said armadillo for 5 minutes and set that canon off at said armadillo with the muzzle well inside the truck cab you will miss said armadillo by 10 feet and you will walk around for a week going:

Is that the phone? I think the phone is ringing. Someone get the phone. Someone at the door? Izzat the doorbell again? I hear the ice cream truck!
Keeping the king of England out of your face since 12/05/2009

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

I'd say from Shooting IDPA matches that it's still pretty loud, no matter what side you shoot outta!
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

puma guy wrote: I can only tell you that I know for a fact shooting from my blind with the muzzle outside the structure is far, far less loud on my ears than if the muzzle is inside. Inside a building the sound bounces back.

Hahaha... I made the mistake of having the muzzle inside my blind ONCE, and only once. Never again!! It was so loud, I thought I had shot myself...LOL.

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

This thread reminds me of the argument for not using a 357 for home defense. Shooting it indoors in the dark leaves you deaf and blind. Of course it's ok if you ascribe to the one shot does it theory. :biggrinjester:
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Mostly from gas expanding out the muzzle end and the sonic boom of the bullet. If you're shooting a semi or full auto, there's a bit of sound from the action cycling, but I've read that it's not too loud.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

Amen to the sonic boom. I got a chance to go with a friend to Bayou Rifle and shoot at 1000 yards. One person sits in the pit and marks the target after each shot while the other shoots. It is amazing how loud the bullet is when it passes by even at 1000 yards, had to have my ear plugs in even in the pit.

alvins

Post by alvins »

which is why i enjoy my supressors.

talltex

Post by talltex »

esxmarkc wrote:Man I can tell you from experience that if you are 16 years old and driving down a dirt road and stop, lean over, roll down the passenger window, get your borther's .44 mag out of his glove box and sit back up in the driver's seat, aim said .44 hogleg at said armadillo for 5 minutes and set that canon off at said armadillo with the muzzle well inside the truck cab you will miss said armadillo by 10 feet and you will walk around for a week going:

Is that the phone? I think the phone is ringing. Someone get the phone. Someone at the door? Izzat the doorbell again? I hear the ice cream truck!
:iagree: As teenaged boys, we used to go out at night and shoot jackrabbits while driving around the dirt roads ( yes, it was illegal to road hunt even way back then...just another example of my misspent youth)...no problem with .22 rifles...decided to pop one with .357 mag revolver one time--got muzzle and cylinder gap blast...that was the ONLY time!
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”