thigh holster

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
SewTexas
Posts in topic: 8

thigh holster

Post by SewTexas »

hey ladies,

was browsing ebay and spotting a "new to me" thigh holster, looks simple enough, has anyone seen this? http://www.gungarters.com/
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

MotherBear
Posts in topic: 2

Re: thigh holster

Post by MotherBear »

I haven't seen that specific model. If you try it I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it. I need to figure out something to wear with a dress/skirt for church.

Topic author
SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I ordered one last night, should be here soon. We'll see..... I shall report back soon.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Songbird
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Songbird »

It says its good for guns up to a pound. My PPS would be too heavy. Guess I might have to buy another gun. :lol:
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

Songbird wrote:It says its good for guns up to a pound. My PPS would be too heavy. Guess I might have to buy another gun. :lol:
Man, life is rough. :cryin

:mrgreen:

Topic author
SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Songbird wrote:It says its good for guns up to a pound. My PPS would be too heavy. Guess I might have to buy another gun. :lol:
:rolll like I say, if it goes with the dress......
~Tracy

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Seems to me that if they combined it with a garter-belt-style design, where there was a waistband with straps hooking to the thigh holster, then the gun would be held up far more securely. The thigh holster pictured in the link looks to me like it would be insecure and slide down the leg.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Jumping Frog wrote:Seems to me that if they combined it with a garter-belt-style design, where there was a waistband with straps hooking to the thigh holster, then the gun would be held up far more securely. The thigh holster pictured in the link looks to me like it would be insecure and slide down the leg.
I think that's why they say a pound or less, but we'll see. I should get it tomorrow and I'll try it out, I think one of the reasons it's appealing to us is the lack of "stuff" it will hide well under a light dress.
~Tracy

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

I posted this in another thread...
[ Image ]

This is $30 at the http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/home.aspx. I bought it and was a little less than completely satisfied.

Pros:
  • It is generic/ambidextrous. it can be worn on the left leg or the right...inside or outside the leg.
    It conceals well even on the outside of the leg in cargo shorts.
    It is light-weight.
Cons:
  • The retention strap is velcro...very loud velcro.
    The holster itself is an elastic material to be generic for multiple pistols.
The above list of cons were partially corrected. I had my mother in law alter the retention strap to a magnet snap set-up. Now it is much quieter access to the gun.

The elastic holster portion carries my J-frame 4" very nicely...my XDS not so much. I had to practice drawing the XDS as the front fiber-optic site wants to get hung up. Once I figured out the right twist, it works passably.

Over all, I would say the holster is well worth the $30 as an alternative carry option but I would still not consider it for a primary mode of carry.

Just my two cents adjusted for inflation...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Topic author
SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I saw that one....it's not what "most" women are looking for, at least I don't think so. My first thought..."it's like wearing my purse around my leg", it's alot of thick straps and velcro that will catch on a dress, and that pouch is between your legs, ugg. It's an interesting idea, I just think it might need work. The only thing it's going to work under is a very full cotton skirt, and the style right now is fairly thin and only slightly loose. maybe it looks bulkier than it is?

edited for spelling
~Tracy

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

I don't know if it is any thicker than the one you are looking except for the retaining strap that I though about removing all together but decided to retain...the straps are made of a fairly thin elastic material.

Your point about the velcro snagging on your dresses may very well be valid. Depending on how big around your leg is, you will have none, some, most of the coarse side of the velcro facing towards your skirt material. As I use this holster inside khaki cargo shorts, I had not considered it...but I may include it in future reviews of this holster...

Though this holster works fairly well for me, I still would not consider it a primary method at all...it is purely an alternate method and that's all I would give it a reference for...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Topic author
SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I got the "gun garter" and have worn it around the house. I loved the concept, and I had done the measuring as instructed on the website, but it felt a bit big to me, it wanted to slip down....

since it is a very simple design and I do sew, I picked up some elastic and went to work. I think I've got it done, I had to add some more velcro this evening to tighten it up, so I'll try it again in the morning.

I think I would recommend it, but, even if you are in the middle of the measurements range, go smaller....now, that's not on the "lace" model, I'm guessing that one doesn't stretch much, that's why they have different measurements on that one.

I'm trying it with an LCP, don't go much heavier than one of the LCs
~Tracy

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

I'm a guy, and I've been looking for something like this for awhile now. I want a thigh holster that will hold my PM9 on the outside of my thigh under a pair of athletic shorts. I don't mind using something with the name "Gun Garter" (i'm pretty secure in my masculinity), but I wish there was an option without ruffle or lace.

I've also thought about buying a Holster Patch and sewing it to the outside of a pair of compression shorts (below the hips). If it works, it would be good for athletic activity, but not for everyday use.

Dirthawking

Post by Dirthawking »

TrueFlog wrote:I'm a guy, and I've been looking for something like this for awhile now. I want a thigh holster that will hold my PM9 on the outside of my thigh under a pair of athletic shorts. I don't mind using something with the name "Gun Garter" (i'm pretty secure in my masculinity), but I wish there was an option without ruffle or lace.

I've also thought about buying a Holster Patch and sewing it to the outside of a pair of compression shorts (below the hips). If it works, it would be good for athletic activity, but not for everyday use.
Sounds like you need thunderwear.

http://www.thunderwear.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some people simply need a high five, to the face, with a chair!

Topic author
SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

what are you looking at carrying?

the one I ended up making doesn't have any ruffles or anything, it's not even what I would call pretty, but it works for me and my LCP, if you're interested in carrying something similar I can make you one, just PM me.
~Tracy

Return to “Ladies”