Hatch chiles

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Warhorse545
Posts in topic: 4

Hatch chiles

Post by Warhorse545 »

It is that time of year again. :woohoo Got my first 50 pounds in today and will fire roast the little green yummy bad boys up this weekend over mesquite. Anyone else a fan? I always think I buy enough and then run just a tad short.
TSRA Life Member

Piney
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Hatch chiles

Post by Piney »

Do you buy them little beasties locally or order them ?

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Bought some (2-3 pounds maybe??) freshly roasted on Saturday... I'm down to my last pepper. Need to restock.
The family doesn't care much for them so they're all mine. ;-)
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

clarionite
Posts in topic: 2

Post by clarionite »

I thought I stocked enough up last year. Then my 15 year old son developed a taste for them... Didn't have enough by far.

nyj

Post by nyj »

Do you do anything special with them?

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

Hatch is right up the road from us. You may all commence being jealous.

:biggrinjester: :leaving

spolct

Post by spolct »

hatch chile festival at central market until the 20th with lots of green chile goodies to be had. our favorite so far has been the hatch apple pie. delicious! just a small hint of chile and a very slight afterburn (could have used a bit more maybe). bought a few containers of fresh roasted peppers as well so we should be good to go for the next year or so.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

Warhorse545,

Yes, I'm a fan, but know nothing about how to go about roasting them.

How do you go about it?

Thanks

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

^^^ Same as you'd roast any other pepper... There are various ways..

Central market brings out these huge wire barrel roasters with giant propane burners (like a small jet engine :mrgreen: ). The wire barrels turn in front of the heat source until the peppers are done.

At home I like to coat them with a bit of olive oil (NOT EV..! E-V oil is NOT for grilling. Temp is too high.) and roast them on the gas grill, turning occasionally until the skin blackens.

If you want to make skin removal easy, after it's well blackened, put the peppers into a brown paper bag and let them sit for 5 minutes or so. The steam will help the skins separate and will be easier to peel.

I'm sure there are other good ways to do it... Experiment and have fun.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

RoyGBiv much thanks.

I've been eating them raw in salads.

clarionite
Posts in topic: 2

Post by clarionite »

RoyGBiv wrote:^^^ Same as you'd roast any other pepper... There are various ways..

Central market brings out these huge wire barrel roasters with giant propane burners (like a small jet engine :mrgreen: ). The wire barrels turn in front of the heat source until the peppers are done.

At home I like to coat them with a bit of olive oil (NOT EV..! E-V oil is NOT for grilling. Temp is too high.) and roast them on the gas grill, turning occasionally until the skin blackens.

If you want to make skin removal easy, after it's well blackened, put the peppers into a brown paper bag and let them sit for 5 minutes or so. The steam will help the skins separate and will be easier to peel.

I'm sure there are other good ways to do it... Experiment and have fun.

I do them in a similar way on my gas grill. I thought about smoking a little this year.
I didn't know about the paper bag trick. Thanks for sharing. You might have saved me a lot of time this year.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Abraham wrote:RoyGBiv much thanks.

I've been eating them raw in salads.
Yum...

My wife likes to cut them in slices (raw) and saute them together with sliced onions and garlic.
Makes a great topping for lots of things.... Steak, tacos, veggies (ever tried grilled broccoli or cauliflower?.. ), even over eggs for breakfast.
She uses Poblanos when Hatch aren't in season.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Yes, and you're right.

I'm a meat eater, but I do love me veggies!

Topic author
Warhorse545

Post by Warhorse545 »

I got a friend that lives in NM that I have bring them in for me. Usually a tad cheaper then HEB and better shape. But at .79 a pound right now at HEB they are a deal. I got mine for about .43 a pound, but he has connections and travels to Austin a lot so I catch a break.

Me I just roast over hot coals if I got a lot and lots of time. If not, I will just toss on top of a gas burner on stove and keep flipping till skin is blackened. Brown paper bag works, as does a trash bag if you have a lot. Roast them, put in bag and let steam till cool. Then easy to peal skin right off. No burnt fingers and no fighting to pull the skin off. If a little bit sticks on them it is ok.

I have loved this time of year since I was a kid living in West Texas. seems there was also something in season and we had guys come into town with them. Was always something you could buy off a truck. Watermelons ( real ones with seeds ), cantaloupe, tomatoes, sweet potatoes ( like I said I hate ), peanuts, onions, all kinds of citrus near winter. Usually just a day or 2 out from being picked. Not like the wonder apples they can store now days for a year. But Hatch chilies were my fav.

Also meant school was about to start, but also meant I had something different then meat loaf and pot roast and tuna casserole to eat :) We had TACOS AND ENCHALADS. Man I do love this time of year.
TSRA Life Member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Warhorse545 wrote:I got a friend that lives in NM that I have bring them in for me. Usually a tad cheaper then HEB and better shape. But at .79 a pound right now at HEB they are a deal. I got mine for about .43 a pound, but he has connections and travels to Austin a lot so I catch a break.

Me I just roast over hot coals if I got a lot and lots of time. If not, I will just toss on top of a gas burner on stove and keep flipping till skin is blackened. Brown paper bag works, as does a trash bag if you have a lot. Roast them, put in bag and let steam till cool. Then easy to peal skin right off. No burnt fingers and no fighting to pull the skin off. If a little bit sticks on them it is ok.

I have loved this time of year since I was a kid living in West Texas. seems there was also something in season and we had guys come into town with them. Was always something you could buy off a truck. Watermelons ( real ones with seeds ), cantaloupe, tomatoes, sweet potatoes ( like I said I hate ), peanuts, onions, all kinds of citrus near winter. Usually just a day or 2 out from being picked. Not like the wonder apples they can store now days for a year. But Hatch chilies were my fav.

Also meant school was about to start, but also meant I had something different then meat loaf and pot roast and tuna casserole to eat :) We had TACOS AND ENCHALADS. Man I do love this time of year.
I finished reading that and realized I was smiling ear to ear... Thanks for sharing. :thumbs2:

Return to “Off-Topic”