Do you practice a phrase to yell if you draw on a BG?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CHLLady
Posts in topic: 5

Do you practice a phrase to yell if you draw on a BG?

Post by CHLLady »

Sounds like a dumb question, but I want to know if you all train to say something if you draw on a bad guy?

I don't recall the CH class discussing this and have not asked my instructor about this topic. I have not found anything on my lady gun sites.

Do you yell "Freeze!" Or "Stop or I'll shoot!" Or not say anything because you are already shooting, depending on the situation. :confused5
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Do you practice a phrase to yell if you draw on a BG?

Post by gigag04 »

Nope
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

gigag04 wrote:Nope
:thumbs2: After the gun is pulled, the talking is over.

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jimlongley »

I knew a couple of IDPA shooters who yelled commands as they worked the course, not many.

In the Navy, during the Weather Underground bombing of reserve centers, senior E4s and junior E5s were selected to stand guard duty carrying actual ammunition for our rifles and pistols, unlike the normal sentries who walked their posts with semi-automatic clubs. Some of us had been "exempt" from standing sentry watches for a while, and all of us were retrained due to our new ammo carrying status. We were taught that we had to yell "HALT" twice, fire a warning shot in the air (in the NY Naval Shipyard among other populated places), yell HALT" again and then fire for effect.

The way most of us practiced it was to yell "HALT" twice, as fast as possible, shoot the bad guy (as often as needed), yell "HALT" again and fire one shot in the air.

We figured that it would be hard to tell which shots were which later.

I have never even considered using that in civilian life.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

[youtube][/youtube]
NRA Endowment Member

jmra
Posts in topic: 12

Post by jmra »

WildBill wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
"rlol"
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

thatguy

Post by thatguy »

a time for talkin and a time for doin, not time for both...
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

jmra

Post by jmra »

CHLLady wrote:Sounds like a dumb question, but I want to know if you all train to say something if you draw on a bad guy?

I don't recall the CH class discussing this and have not asked my instructor about this topic. I have not found anything on my lady gun sites.

Do you yell "Freeze!" Or "Stop or I'll shoot!" Or not say anything because you are already shooting, depending on the situation. :confused5
Why was the gun pulled? If the gun was pulled because "force" was justified, I'm starting a conversation with instructions for the individual down range of the barrel. If the gun was pulled because "deadly force" was justified, there is no time or need for words.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

jmra wrote:
CHLLady wrote:Sounds like a dumb question, but I want to know if you all train to say something if you draw on a bad guy?

Why was the gun pulled? If the gun was pulled because "force" was justified, I'm starting a conversation with instructions for the individual down range of the barrel. If the gun was pulled because "deadly force" was justified, there is no time or need for words.
Ok, this is what I was wondering, but you worded it better. ;-) It was late when I posted this last night. Lol.

Thank you all for helping me, I'm just trying to follow through on the draw in a "force" was justified scenario.
**Ok, so what are you telling the BG? What is the best way to deal with a compliant BG and how do you disarm him/her safely without getting close to them?

Wild Bill, that's hilarious! And yes, in that situation no time for talking. Lol.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

jmra

Post by jmra »

CHLLady wrote:
jmra wrote:

Ok, this is what I was wondering, but you worded it better. ;-) It was late when I posted this last night. Lol.

Thank you all for helping me, I'm just trying to follow through on the draw in a "force" was justified scenario.
**Ok, so what are you telling the BG? What is the best way to deal with a compliant BG and how do you disarm him/her safely without getting close to them?

Wild Bill, that's hilarious! And yes, in that situation no time for talking. Lol.
Again, it depends on what the BG is doing that justified "force". Chances are once you pull a gun in a situation where deadly force is not yet justified, you will very quickly be looking at the persons hind side moving away from you. In this case I'm getting the best description I can and calling 911. I don't see a need to say anything to him.
If he doesn't run, I'm telling him to keep his distance and keep his hands where I can see them (not asking him to drop a weapon because there shouldn't be one otherwise deadly force would be justified). I may also move away from him to create distance. I'm also yelling for any bystanders to call 911.
I'm not interested in detaining or disarming a BG. I am only interested in protecting myself and innocents around me. If the BG has a weapon, deadly force should be justified so disarming is achieved by sending lead down range. Detaining is a LEO function, not a CHL function.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

old farmer

Post by old farmer »

:tiphat:
WildBill wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
:iagree:
God Bliss America.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Silent but deadly.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

jmra wrote:
CHLLady wrote:
jmra wrote:

" I may also move away from him to create distance. I'm also yelling for any bystanders to call 911." Gotcha. So either I am firing my weapon or I am moving myself to a better advantage. No words necessary. Unless I'm trying to control the situation before it escalates, as in he is approaching and I'm telling him to "Back Off! What do you want?" kind of thing.

jmra

Post by jmra »

CHLLady wrote:
jmra wrote:
CHLLady wrote:
jmra wrote:

" I may also move away from him to create distance. I'm also yelling for any bystanders to call 911." Gotcha. So either I am firing my weapon or I am moving myself to a better advantage. No words necessary. Unless I'm trying to control the situation before it escalates, as in he is approaching and I'm telling him to "Back Off! What do you want?" kind of thing.
Yep. I would probably tell someone (in a "force" only situation) once to back off before pulling my weapon. If they continued to advance I would not hesitate to draw.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

CHLLady wrote: Unless I'm trying to control the situation before it escalates, as in he is approaching and I'm telling him to "Back Off! What do you want?" kind of thing.
I would not ask "what do you want?" To me, that is almost a kind of an invite to stay and explain. If I think the person is up to no good, I want "back off" to mean turn around and leave while you still can. That's just me though.

YMMV.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”