Show your DIY Ideas and Projects

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Paul's Shield
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Show your DIY Ideas and Projects

Post by Paul's Shield »

Made myself a small pocket holster but also decided to try my hand at tooling. I have always loved hand tooled leather. Something my father passed down to me. Anyways I purchased the S&W M & P BG380 and couldn't find any pocket holster so I decided to make my own but decided to add the tooling. I really enjoy this stuff. This was only a second piece I did but will continue to learn and practice more. I still need to dye it and polish it but just wanted to show you guys.

"Just put that hammer down and give it h3ll" - Jerry Reid

jiannichan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jiannichan »

corbmonster wrote:[ Image ]

Not as cool as others DIY, or other DIY I've done. But This is my first lower build, and I don''t have space for a work bench. I've read of many people building a platform for people to stand on while they torque down the barrel nut. So I build one.
That is pretty awesome. I live in an apartment and I don't have the luxury of having a dedicated room for working on my builds or guns. I have always wanted to build my own upper and thought about building something like that to allow me. I may have to build one now and start buying some tools to work on an upper.
-jchan

TBJK
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TBJK »

corbmonster wrote:[ Image ]

Not as cool as others DIY, or other DIY I've done. But This is my first lower build, and I don''t have space for a work bench. I've read of many people building a platform for people to stand on while they torque down the barrel nut. So I build one.
My upper is an A3 so I did as many others had & use cutting board to sandwich the upper in the vise while I torqued it. I couldn't find an upper jig during the hight of the AR scare.

BAW1967
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BAW1967 »

Paul's Shield wrote:Made myself a small pocket holster but also decided to try my hand at tooling. I have always loved hand tooled leather. Something my father passed down to me. Anyways I purchased the S&W M & P BG380 and couldn't find any pocket holster so I decided to make my own but decided to add the tooling. I really enjoy this stuff. This was only a second piece I did but will continue to learn and practice more. I still need to dye it and polish it but just wanted to show you guys.

[ Image ]
Nice

asbandr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by asbandr »

Nice job! I was gonna post pics of the holsters I've made, but I'm not following that post up! Lol! My stuff looks like kindergarten crafts compared to yours!
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

Paul's Shield

Post by Paul's Shield »

asbandr wrote:Nice job! I was gonna post pics of the holsters I've made, but I'm not following that post up! Lol! My stuff looks like kindergarten crafts compared to yours!

Thanks. I'm still practicing and growing my tool collection. I had no idea how many little tools this leather tooling requires. I'll be making a small OWB holster for a S&W M&P BG380 soon. just ordering some stuff and waiting on it to get here.

asbandr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by asbandr »

Paul's Shield wrote:
asbandr wrote:Nice job! I was gonna post pics of the holsters I've made, but I'm not following that post up! Lol! My stuff looks like kindergarten crafts compared to yours!

Thanks. I'm still practicing and growing my tool collection. I had no idea how many little tools this leather tooling requires. I'll be making a small OWB holster for a S&W M&P BG380 soon. just ordering some stuff and waiting on it to get here.
Oh I know it! I decided to try making a leather holster and got hooked. Every time I went to Tandy's I got a few more tools. My husband started getting pretty annoyed with me. Until I had the tools and skills to make him a custom holder for his new glock 19. He's not allowed to talk trash now.
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

Paul's Shield

Post by Paul's Shield »

Not gun related, but my next piece will be a small OWB holster for a BG380.

I purchased this knife in Utah while on a moto trip and while the holster it came with was ok you could tell it was just a cheap holster to temporarily cover the knife. I set out to make my own worthy of this handmade knife and something it would be proud to be covered in.

First step: Tooled

Then I accented the background with black dye

Afterwards I dyed it with a desert tan dye and polished with some saddlesoap and finished off with a good burnish on the edges.

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

The finish on my Taurus 709 Slim barrel was looking pretty bad, or bad enough to bother me, and I decided to try my hand at polishing the barrel. All I needed was a YouTube video from Yankee Marshall and a few items from WalMart and I was good to go. I'm very happy with the results and the pistol now looks much better although I have a little touch up work to do in areas I couldn't reach with polishing wheel I have. It took me about 45 minutes to get the results you see now.

Sorry the pictures are so big.

EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

100 years from now, when everybody uses laser guns, your heirs are going to lament that you ruined the collectors' value of your antique Taurus handgun by removing the original finish. (collectors want the original finish, even if it is crappy looking. shiny refinished guns have very low collector value unless it is exceedingly rare).

LOL. :biggrinjester:
CoffeeNut wrote:The finish on my Taurus 709 Slim barrel was looking pretty bad, or bad enough to bother me, and I decided to try my hand at polishing the barrel. All I needed was a YouTube video from Yankee Marshall and a few items from WalMart and I was good to go. I'm very happy with the results and the pistol now looks much better although I have a little touch up work to do in areas I couldn't reach with polishing wheel I have. It took me about 45 minutes to get the results you see now.

Sorry the pictures are so big.

[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

drjoker wrote:100 years from now, when everybody uses laser guns, your heirs are going to lament that you ruined the collectors' value of your antique Taurus handgun by removing the original finish. (collectors want the original finish, even if it is crappy looking. shiny refinished guns have very low collector value unless it is exceedingly rare).
Have a hard time imagining a Taurus 709 being a valuable antique. "rlol"

Maybe 1,000 years from now . . . :biggrinjester:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

drjoker wrote:100 years from now, when everybody uses laser guns, your heirs are going to lament that you ruined the collectors' value of your antique Taurus handgun by removing the original finish. (collectors want the original finish, even if it is crappy looking. shiny refinished guns have very low collector value unless it is exceedingly rare).

LOL. :biggrinjester:
I'm surprised it took someone on the internet over 2 months to take a swipe at Taurus. :lol::

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Have a hard time imagining a Taurus 709 being a valuable antique. "rlol"

Maybe 1,000 years from now . . . :biggrinjester:
Just you wait until the next gun panic. I'll sell this sweet $300 piece with super shiny barrel and 8 rare 9mm bullets for $700 :biggrinjester:

Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Deltaboy »

puma guy wrote:This may belong in another heading since I didn't build it. Found this bag at Sears on sale for $5.99 and I thought it would make a great simple gear bag. It makes a perfect case carrier for shotgun shells, but it would hold just about anything. I put 6 boxes of 12 ga in it for the pictures and there's room to spare. 12 inch Big Mouth Bag
[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]
I use one for my black power stuff and another one I customized as my travel toiletries bag since I got all those prescriptions to carry.

They are great bags and I try to buy them every time they are on sale at Sears. :txflag:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

CoffeeNut wrote:Just you wait until the next gun panic. I'll sell this sweet $300 piece with super shiny barrel and 8 rare 9mm bullets for $700 :biggrinjester:
:mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
Well, I sat on the sidelines the last two gun buying panics with a quiet smile on my face. With components stockpiled to make over 20,000 rounds and thousands more finished rounds in inventory, I never worried about running out. :tiphat:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”