Is it legal to carry a collapsible baton in texas?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Tsaiko
Posts in topic: 2

Is it legal to carry a collapsible baton in texas?

Post by Tsaiko »

With how hot it can get here I have started going for runs during the night to keep cool however since im going around a night a lot now I want to have something to carry for self defense. I want to get a collapsible baton but I was wondering if anybody could tell me if It's legal to carry one in public. or do I need to get some sort of permit for it?

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Is it legal to carry a collapsible baton in texas?

Post by nightmare69 »

Yes it illegal, you cannot carry an ASP unless you are a police officer.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

PBR
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PBR »

nightmare69 wrote:Yes it illegal, you cannot carry an ASP unless you are a police officer.
im guessing your sure but i have carried one and still have one in the car and had many officers look at even grab and expand it -- none have ever said anything about it -- i even got it from an police officer who bought him a new one -- guess maybe should take it out -- dont really need it cause always carry anyway
Last edited by PBR on Sat May 31, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Topic author
Tsaiko

Post by Tsaiko »

nightmare69 wrote:Yes it illegal, you cannot carry an ASP unless you are a police officer.
Ah , alright. I noticed you can just buy them online though. Could i keep it around the house?

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Tsaiko wrote:
Ah , alright. I noticed you can just buy them online though. Could i keep it around the house?
Yep just don't carry it off your property. If you really want the best protection on your walks get your CHL and carry a firearm.
PENAL CODE

TITLE 10. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY, AND MORALS

CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(1) "Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument, and includes but is not limited to the following:
(A) blackjack;
(B) nightstick;
(C) mace;
(D) tomahawk.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

I can go to a gun show and buy brass knuckles, blackjacks, ASP, double edged knives, etc, all day. Just cause they sell these items using loopholes does not mean you can carry them. If you don't have a CHL or want to get it then get some quality pepper spray.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

A-R

Post by A-R »

Just like a handgun, you can have a baton in your home or vehicle no license required.

You canNOT carry it on your person in public. Whether CHL allows you to carry anything other than a concealed handgun, based on the wording of PC 46.15, is a source of endless debate.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

get a lacrosse stick, just as affective as a baton, and you can carry that anywhere, just tell anyone you're in training.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

rotor

Post by rotor »

They carry them at Academy and even WalMart. Again though illegal to carry outside of your property.

jbarn
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jbarn »

It is NOT illegal to carry a club, which is what an ASP or collapsable baton is, everywhere off of your property. Penal code 46.02 prohibits the carry of a club unless you are own your own premises or premises under your control, OR inside of of en route to a motor vehicle you own or is under your control.

One can carry in ones car. The restrictions that apply to unlicensed handgun carry in a car do not apply to the carry of clubs.

For the OP, even if you carry a club lawfully, unless you have specific training in the non lethal use of the club any strike is likely to be deadly force. Unless deadly force is justified your could have serious legal consequences. Pepper spray ma be a better alternative.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

jbarn
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jbarn »

Or a commissioned security guard, or a non commissioned security guard who meets specific requirments, or are a person in his own vehicle or one under his control, or are traveling, or meet other exceptions. :cheers2:
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

sbrawley wrote:
oohrah wrote:get a lacrosse stick, just as affective as a baton, and you can carry that anywhere, just tell anyone you're in training.
I was thinking baseball bat
I have a good stout wooden cane with a t-handle. Many of the spinning techniques useful for a PR24 side handle baton can be adapted or used with a cane.

I've carried my cane onto airplanes. Unless I happened to use the cane on someone without justification, it is difficult for me to envision any circumstance where a deadly weapon charge would stick.

Mine has a handle like this:

-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Canes are the way to go. Check out Canemasters and the Cane Thread over on The High Road. :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”