A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Deadline for class

Post by RossA »

I can't remember ever having this issue come up before, but I know that some of you must have, so I thought someone here would have the answer off the top of his head.
I was contacted by a prospective student who applied online with the DPS last September, but hasn't taken her CHL class yet do to a weird work schedule. This is her initial application, not a renewal.
How long does she have to complete a class before she has to start all over again with a new application?
Thanks
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Deadline for class

Post by sjfcontrol »

once she's paid, she has a year to complete the application.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

That's what I was thinking, but I hadn't hit the books yet to find the specific time limits. Thanks!
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

mattdfw

Post by mattdfw »

I just opened my class notes and instructor materials provided in class (Jan. CHL Instructor class).

The State application is now only to be stored for 90 days. By rule, under certain circumstances, the application can be extended for an additional 90 days. The CHL-100 is good for two years.

Sherrie did discuss this in class. Her explanation was that the way their computer system is setup, there is just to much clutter to search threw.

Matt

infoman
Posts in topic: 10

Post by infoman »

The CHL-100 is good for 2 years, the online payment is good for 1 year. The 90 day thing is if someone sent an incomplete app & they get a written notice to send docs, get new prints, etc. They have 90 days to correct their app or else it gets terminated & they must start over from scratch.

mattdfw

Post by mattdfw »

infoman wrote:The CHL-100 is good for 2 years, the online payment is good for 1 year. The 90 day thing is if someone sent an incomplete app & they get a written notice to send docs, get new prints, etc. They have 90 days to correct their app or else it gets terminated & they must start over from scratch.
We were told otherwise, and given an explanation. The extended rule is if they need new prints, extra docs or whatever. If you submit an application, and do nothing with it, and you have NO contact with the DPS, after 90 days they will delete it. Sherrie was very clear in explaining that they have limited resources and they will no longer accommodate slackers and procrastinators. Many uploaded documents are in either image or PDF format; many of which are hand written. OCR software along with a traditional database isn't what they have to use. It was CLEARLY stated in my class that they will no longer tolerate garbage records in their system.

As far as I know, they have only had 2 new Instructor classes this year (within the last six months), which were you in? I'm pretty damn sure I'm up-to-date.

As stated in class, the payment is no longer good for one year. They delete the record after 90 days, and at that point, the FBI back-ground check must be done again (since no record exist). Thus, payment is required again.

We are coming out of a new legislative cycle were new laws are being implemented.

I don't mean to argue, I'm just parroting what was stated in my class regarding this issue.

I'll look for links to the law, if you find any, please post. I don't want to have wrong info.

Thanks

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

mattdfw wrote: We were told otherwise, and given an explanation. The extended rule is if they need new prints, extra docs or whatever. If you submit an application, and do nothing with it, and you have NO contact with the DPS, after 90 days they will delete it. Sherrie was very clear in explaining that they have limited resources and they will no longer accommodate slackers and procrastinators. Many uploaded documents are in either image or PDF format; many of which are hand written. OCR software along with a traditional database isn't what they have to use. It was CLEARLY stated in my class that they will no longer tolerate garbage records in their system.

As far as I know, they have only had 2 new Instructor classes this year (within the last six months), which were you in? I'm pretty darn sure I'm up-to-date.

As stated in class, the payment is no longer good for one year. They delete the record after 90 days, and at that point, the FBI back-ground check must be done again (since no record exist). Thus, payment is required again.

We are coming out of a new legislative cycle were new laws are being implemented.

I don't mean to argue, I'm just parroting what was stated in my class regarding this issue.

I'll look for links to the law, if you find any, please post. I don't want to have wrong info.

Thanks
Incorrect. The online application is good for one year. Once your send in the CHL-100 if there is missing informaition and a letter is sent, THEN you have 90 days to comply before the application is terminated. This is the correct information.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

Keith B wrote:
mattdfw wrote: We were told otherwise, and given an explanation. The extended rule is if they need new prints, extra docs or whatever. If you submit an application, and do nothing with it, and you have NO contact with the DPS, after 90 days they will delete it. Sherrie was very clear in explaining that they have limited resources and they will no longer accommodate slackers and procrastinators. Many uploaded documents are in either image or PDF format; many of which are hand written. OCR software along with a traditional database isn't what they have to use. It was CLEARLY stated in my class that they will no longer tolerate garbage records in their system.

As far as I know, they have only had 2 new Instructor classes this year (within the last six months), which were you in? I'm pretty darn sure I'm up-to-date.

Thanks
Incorrect. The online application is good for one year. Once your send in the CHL-100 if there is missing informaition and a letter is sent, THEN you have 90 days to comply before the application is terminated. This is the correct information.

Gotta agree with my esteemed colleague. My notes are clear, and I just spent a little time perusing the Administrative Code..... :patriot:
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Keith B wrote:

Thanks
I can't find anything in the admin code that says 1 year. Does anyone here have that?
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

infoman

Post by infoman »

I'm not sure the admin code off hand, but I happen to know 100% certain for fact that the online payment is good for one year. Now, if they send in their documents (CHL-100, DD-214, BOC doc, etc) & there's an issue, they get sent a 90 day letter to correct issue. If they don't comply then their app in terminated. But, a person can pay online Jan. 2, 2014 & wait until Dec. 31, 2014 to send their documents if they chose & they'll be ok. I promise this is the reality.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

infoman wrote:I'm not sure the admin code off hand, but I happen to know 100% certain for fact that the online payment is good for one year. Now, if they send in their documents (CHL-100, DD-214, BOC doc, etc) & there's an issue, they get sent a 90 day letter to correct issue. If they don't comply then their app in terminated. But, a person can pay online Jan. 2, 2014 & wait until Dec. 31, 2014 to send their documents if they chose & they'll be ok. I promise this is the reality.
Yes, it has always been 1 year. But, again, where is it in the admin code?

Cause, if it's not in there, they can choose to continue to honor the 1 year period as before, or make it 90 days, or 9 days.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

infoman

Post by infoman »

I'll see what I can dig up, but just for people's knowledge, I know for right now & the foreseeable future they are honoring the 1 year web app payment period. If or when that ever stops being honored I'll be the first to post on the forum.

Unicorn Rancher
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Unicorn Rancher »

Crossfire wrote:
infoman wrote:But, a person can pay online Jan. 2, 2014 & wait until Dec. 31, 2014 to send their documents if they chose & they'll be ok. I promise this is the reality.

Cause, if it's not in there, they can choose to continue to honor the 1 year period as before, or make it 90 days, or 9 days.

As far as I can tell, if management desired, they could send a notice when someone applies saying what is missing. Call it a checklist or punch list or whatever. Then the applicant would have 90 days to remedy the deficiencies or start over.

mattdfw

Post by mattdfw »

Well...

I just sent an email to the DPS's RSD director asking for clarification (Regulatory Services Division).

Once I get a response from her, I'll post exactly what she says about this...

Matt

P.S. Crossfire, I got my initial CHL from you. It was a great class, soooo much better than my renewal. I do try to model the occasional class I hold after yours' but will never be able to match it (I don't know who is posting here, I seem to recall the names Linda and Marty.?.?.) Anyhow, I got sucked into the CHL instructor program via personal experience. Due to your work, there is a young mother and 4 yrld boy alive and well today...

mattdfw

Post by mattdfw »

Unicorn Rancher wrote:
Crossfire wrote:
infoman wrote:But, a person can pay online Jan. 2, 2014 & wait until Dec. 31, 2014 to send their documents if they chose & they'll be ok. I promise this is the reality.

As far as I can tell, if management desired, they could send a notice when someone applies saying what is missing. Call it a checklist or punch list or whatever. Then the applicant would have 90 days to remedy the deficiencies or start over.
Yes, exactly what I've been saying. They have all the other docs, but NO CHL-100 to go forward with, it's an incomplete application. 90 days, they're dumping the record.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”