CHL used to when buying a gun...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CHL used to when buying a gun...

Post by SQLGeek »

I bought a gun at my local Academy last year and they didn't call it in.
Psalm 91:2

ldj1002

Post by ldj1002 »

suthdj wrote:
EEllis wrote:
poppo wrote:
GeekwithaGun wrote:Yes, but some stores will always run a BG Check - :grumble
I would tell them they would not be getting my business.
I've personally never ran into that situation though.
I've bought a lot of guns and I've never run across anyone who wanted to call in after seeing my CHL.
Shoot smart did it to me, the girl said my dl didn't match address on chl never asked about it just ran off closed door and called it in, when i pointed out after the fact her response was "oh". That irritated me off a bit. So I just wont buy a gun there again.
Was it a TX CHL or a non resident chl from another state

rockinar

Post by rockinar »

bones281 wrote:I have a question regarding the purchase of a firearms. I recently went to buy a new handgun and I has asked if I had a CHL? at the time I didn't have it so I said no. Now here''s the question, would having a CHL allow me to skip the background check conducted by the store?

They would have to call it in. So the process would take 10 minutes instead of 5.

jmra
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jmra »

rockinar wrote:
bones281 wrote:I have a question regarding the purchase of a firearms. I recently went to buy a new handgun and I has asked if I had a CHL? at the time I didn't have it so I said no. Now here''s the question, would having a CHL allow me to skip the background check conducted by the store?

They would have to call it in. So the process would take 10 minutes instead of 5.
Or in some cases, days instead of 5 minutes. The NICS system is name based (entering your SS# does absolutely nothing) and is extremely flawed.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Jnsey

Post by Jnsey »

C-dub wrote:
suthdj wrote:
EEllis wrote:
poppo wrote:
I've bought a lot of guns and I've never run across anyone who wanted to call in after seeing my CHL.
Shoot smart did it to me, the girl said my dl didn't match address on chl never asked about it just ran off closed door and called it in, when i pointed out after the fact her response was "oh". That irritated me off a bit. So I just wont buy a gun there again.
Since they are supposed to match, I wonder if that's why she called it in.
My address on my CHL and CDL don't match, my CHL is my physical address and my CDL is my PO Box. Was told when I got my CDL renewed last that I had to use my PO Box

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

jmra wrote:
rockinar wrote:

Or in some cases, days instead of 5 minutes. The NICS system is name based (entering your SS# does absolutely nothing) and is extremely flawed.
You guys both lost me here. Bones281 asked if having his CHL would have allowed him to skip the background check. The answer is, Yes. Why would anyone have to call it in? The store may still want to per their own policy, but having the CHL does allow one to skip the background check, right? So, no requirement to make the NICS call, right?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jmra

Post by jmra »

C-dub wrote:
jmra wrote:
rockinar wrote:

You guys both lost me here. Bones281 asked if having his CHL would have allowed him to skip the background check. The answer is, Yes. Why would anyone have to call it in? The store may still want to per their own policy, but having the CHL does allow one to skip the background check, right? So, no requirement to make the NICS call, right?
I was responding to rockinar's suggestion that a NICS check just meant an additional 5 mins delay. I assume that rockinar was stating that the difference in having a CHL and not having one only adds 5 mins to the purchase process.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

jmra wrote:The NICS system is name based (entering your SS# does absolutely nothing) and is extremely flawed.
Tell me about the SSN thing. IIRC the "optional" note suggests having it can help--but it's not used at all by the FFL on whatever "Search" screen, or entry screen, that they use to submit for the computer check? Nor on "call-in"?

Taltyman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Taltyman »

TomsTXCHL wrote:
jmra wrote:The NICS system is name based (entering your SS# does absolutely nothing) and is extremely flawed.
Tell me about the SSN thing. IIRC the "optional" note suggests having it can help--but it's not used at all by the FFL on whatever "Search" screen, or entry screen, that they use to submit for the computer check? Nor on "call-in"?
It is on the electronic entry form that FFLs and for a manual call in. It is optional but used, what makes you think it isn't? There were some items on the 4473 that were not used on the electronic form submission but several of those were added just this last week to make it more similar to information given for a manual call in.

jmra

Post by jmra »

TomsTXCHL wrote:
Here's what I know:
I have the same first name, middle initial, last name, and birth date as a convicted felon in NJ. Obviously we have different SS#'s. My first name is in the top 5 of most popular names in the country and my last name is in the top 4. I have never been to NJ.
Because of this I always provided my SS# when purchasing firearms. NICS results were always hit and miss. Half the time no issues other times a day or two delay until my last NICS check (just before my CHL) when I was denied. I immediately called the number the FFL uses for NICS check and spoke to a supervisor.
Of course it was obvious to the supervisor that I was not the same person as the felon (the reason the initial agent used for the denial), but he refused to override the decision because the system is name based and that is the way agents are trained to handle the calls. I informed him that I listed my SS# on the form which should have cleared up any confusion.
His response is what about made me blow my top. SS#s are never used in the NICS process. They are only used in follow up investigations to determine ownership of a firearm.
I haven't undergone a NICS check since getting my CHL, but I don't list my SS# on the form as it does nothing whatsoever to help you. (Ironically the calls from the FBI, or people claiming to be with the FBI, wanting to know if I've ever been to NJ stopped when I got my CHL.)
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

Taltyman wrote:It is optional but used, what makes you think it isn't?
According to multiple supervisors I have spoken to overseeing the NICS program, the SS# is not used in the proceed, delay, or deny NICS procedure. If you have information otherwise I would love to see it.

According to Attorney & Author Cindy Hill, of the more than 100,000 denials issued every year the vast majority are due to issues related to common names. If the system actually utilized SS#s this mistake should never happen, at least not where the applicant listed their SS# on the form which is the case more often than not.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

ldj1002 wrote:
suthdj wrote:
EEllis wrote:
poppo wrote:
Was it a TX CHL or a non resident chl from another state
Tex chl
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

jmra wrote:
According to multiple supervisors I have spoken to overseeing the NICS program, the SS# is not used in the proceed, delay, or deny NICS procedure. If you have information otherwise I would love to see it.

According to Attorney & Author Cindy Hill, of the more than 100,000 denials issued every year the vast majority are due to issues related to common names. If the system actually utilized SS#s this mistake should never happen, at least not where the applicant listed their SS# on the form which is the case more often than not.
Listing your social is only helpful if they have avaliable to them the social of the person with whom you share a name.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Taltyman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Taltyman »

jmra wrote:

http://www.atf.gov/files/applications/e ... -buyer.pdf says this
The Social Security Number is an optional field, but will help prevent misidentification
However it sounds like it they may not be using it in actuality. Interesting...

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

jmra wrote:The NICS system is name based (entering your SS# does absolutely nothing) ... my last NICS check (just before my CHL) ...I was denied. I immediately called the number the FFL uses for NICS check and spoke to a supervisor. Of course it was obvious to the supervisor that I was not the same person as the felon (the reason the initial agent used for the denial), but he refused to override the decision because the system is name based and that is the way agents are trained to handle the calls. I informed him that I listed my SS# on the form which should have cleared up any confusion. His response is what about made me blow my top. SS#s are never used in the NICS process. They are only used in follow up investigations to determine ownership of a firearm. I haven't undergone a NICS check since getting my CHL, but I don't list my SS# on the form as it does nothing whatsoever to help you.
I believe all of it--thanks for telling.

I'm sorry now that I put my SSN on a couple of 4473s, though I did this only with a couple of LGS that I trust. Apparently it went no further than that paper and thus their files.

Learn something new every day--Thanks again jmra. :patriot: :txflag:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”