If the squeegee men were doing this in Texas

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rp_photo
Posts in topic: 7

If the squeegee men were doing this in Texas

Post by rp_photo »

http://nypost.com/2014/08/07/squeegee-m ... y-streets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If this type of aggressive "soft robbery" was going on in a Texas city, at what point would a driver first be legally allowed to display a weapon and ultimately when would shooting be justified?

What about use of pepper spray?
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: If the squeegee men were doing this in Texas

Post by MoJo »

I am not sure deadly force would be warranted in a case like this unless there was a physical threat. Same for pepper spray. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

I've been noticing a fair amount of guys doing this in Southwest Houston but none that I've encountered have been aggressive at all.

A quick wave and a polite no thanks seem to make them move on. I had one guy who ignored me and cleaned my windshield anyways but didn't ask me for money.

I'd think there'd have to be a threat of force with a weapon before I'd consider taking any action. My preference would be to speed off if at all possible.
Psalm 91:2

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

It's funny, I remember a lot of folks doing the squeegee thing in Houston, but I haven't seen a single person doing it in Dallas since I've moved here in 2000.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

If they persisted, I shot them windshield sprayer and wipers. That was very effective.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

So-called squeegee men are beggars trying to disguise themselves as workers basing the synthetic guilt we're supposed to feel once they finish "the job" we didn't request. The bogus guilt is then supposed to produce money from me to them.

Fat chance!

Now, if they did a little song and dance or maybe a magic trick, hmmmm, maybe I'd fork over a couple bucks for the entertainment, but I sure won't give in to low quality extortion.

Topic author
rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

A lot of people today don't even carry change of small bills today as there's little need to.
CHL since 2/2011

Topic author
rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

Abraham wrote:So-called squeegee men are beggars trying to disguise themselves as workers basing the synthetic guilt we're supposed to feel once they finish "the job" we didn't request. The bogus guilt is then supposed to produce money from me to them.

Fat chance!

Now, if they did a little song and dance or maybe a magic trick, hmmmm, maybe I'd fork over a couple bucks for the entertainment, but I sure won't give in to low quality extortion.
I'd put them in a spectrum ranging from beggars (the majority) to robbers (a few). Most will accept that you don't want their service or accept the fact you won't pay for that which is unsolicited, but a small number may turn hostile, which is where degree of threat and appropriate response comes into play.
CHL since 2/2011

Topic author
rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

SQLGeek wrote:I've been noticing a fair amount of guys doing this in Southwest Houston but none that I've encountered have been aggressive at all.

A quick wave and a polite no thanks seem to make them move on. I had one guy who ignored me and cleaned my windshield anyways but didn't ask me for money.

I'd think there'd have to be a threat of force with a weapon before I'd consider taking any action. My preference would be to speed off if at all possible.
I see one most mornings at Harwin and Dairy Ashford. He waved back politely when I nodded "No" and mostly walks by me now.

I remember them being a lot more prevalent and perhaps a bit more aggressive in the early 1990's.
CHL since 2/2011

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

The awnser is a simple one, your trucks not tall enugh.

Topic author
rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

Abraham wrote:So-called squeegee men are beggars trying to disguise themselves as workers basing the synthetic guilt we're supposed to feel once they finish "the job" we didn't request. The bogus guilt is then supposed to produce money from me to them.

Fat chance!

If a motorist pays out of fear of retribution rather than guilt, then the line has been crossed as far as perceived physical threat.

And like I said earlier, many people today don't carry change and small bills, and they are put into an uncomfortable situation if "pounced"

It would seem that people in NYC are adept at "street talk" and bluster, but aren't as willing to stand up to petty criminals (in part because their city and state are not self-defense friendly) as us Texans.
CHL since 2/2011

ryanj

Post by ryanj »

I had the squeegee man go up to my car. I just drove off before they got there. My biggest fear is them scratching my car, not having to pay.

DeBlasio is certainly turning the city around, all right. Back to the '70s we go...

Longhorn-breeder

Post by Longhorn-breeder »

They are doing it in Texas, Austin, Houston, Galveston. I have been approved in all these cities so far no one has gotten agressive with a no. But they are more agressive with women than men.
Longhorn-breeder
Central TX

dicion

Post by dicion »

Here's a thought...

Couldn't you call the police on them? I mean, they are spraying an unknown substance on your property. For all you know, it could be acid that will eat away at your paint...

Topic author
rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

dicion wrote:Here's a thought...

Couldn't you call the police on them? I mean, they are spraying an unknown substance on your property. For all you know, it could be acid that will eat away at your paint...
I blame compliant people who don't firmly tell them "No" for the problem just as much as the panhandlers. Otherwise, the panhandling activity wouldn't be worthwhile and the problem would go away.
CHL since 2/2011

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”