Dove season !!!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

birdman253
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Dove season !!!

Post by birdman253 »

Season opens here today at 12:00 (Special Whitewing Area), and yes, I will be there, and yes again, I will be carrying. Concealed, but carrying. I know I could open carry while hunting, but why change what already works every day?

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

Hunting season means I can open carry the .44 while out at the farm. It's too big for CC unless you are Dirty Harry ;) so this is its chance to get out and experience holster time. Last year was a bust for me on birds, but the hogs made up for it.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

Iunnrais wrote:Hunting season means I can open carry the .44 while out at the farm. It's too big for CC unless you are Dirty Harry ;) so this is its chance to get out and experience holster time. Last year was a bust for me on birds, but the hogs made up for it.
Assuming it is your farm, you would be OK to open carry on it any time.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I don't have a property to hunt on, and don't have the time to go find public land. I love dove hunting, but I've been dependent on the generosity of friends to invite me out to their places, so I've only done it two or three times. But after the first time, I've never looked at dove the same. Now, every time I see them in flight, I want raise my arms and pantomime drawing a bead on them. I've got it bad.

Some day. SOME day....we'll have a piece of land, and when we do, lookout.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

ScottDLS wrote:
Assuming it is your farm, you would be OK to open carry on it any time.
Quite true. Though outside of dove season, a rifle generally negates pulling out the .44 unless I'm planning on some plinking :)

Longhorn-breeder

Post by Longhorn-breeder »

cb1000rider wrote:I went yesterday, first time. Lots of birds on the way out there, but our field was probably a bit over hunted. I managed 1/4 of a bird. (that's one bird that 4 people shot)
They're actually quite tasty with bacon... :-)
EVERYTHING is tasty with bacon
Longhorn-breeder
Central TX

jmra

Post by jmra »

Longhorn-breeder wrote:
cb1000rider wrote:I went yesterday, first time. Lots of birds on the way out there, but our field was probably a bit over hunted. I managed 1/4 of a bird. (that's one bird that 4 people shot)
:iagree:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

jmra wrote:
Longhorn-breeder wrote:
:iagree:

Even "nothing" is tasty with bacon!

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I don't have a property to hunt on, and don't have the time to go find public land. I love dove hunting, but I've been dependent on the generosity of friends to invite me out to their places, so I've only done it two or three times. But after the first time, I've never looked at dove the same. Now, every time I see them in flight, I want raise my arms and pantomime drawing a bead on them. I've got it bad.

Some day. SOME day....we'll have a piece of land, and when we do, lookout.
No, Chris, you don't have it bad yet. You know you have it bad when you find yourself sitting in church, looking up at the descending dove symbol of the Holy Spirit and you think about drawing a bead on it. That is bad. Really, really bad.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Crossfire wrote:No, Chris, you don't have it bad yet. You know you have it bad when you find yourself sitting in church, looking up at the descending dove symbol of the Holy Spirit and you think about drawing a bead on it. That is bad. Really, really bad.
:shock:

:lol::
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

I'm not a hunter, but the neighborhood hawk started off the season by taking down a dove in our back yard. No doggies you can't go flush the hawk, it might shred your face...

mossytxn

Post by mossytxn »

Crossfire wrote:No, Chris, you don't have it bad yet. You know you have it bad when you find yourself sitting in church, looking up at the descending dove symbol of the Holy Spirit and you think about drawing a bead on it. That is bad. Really, really bad.

My wife rolls her eyes everytime I do this. I even have my 4 year old drawing down on birds in the sky with his bright orange nerf gun.

He is so excited to go with daddy next week. I'm excited to get a bird dog that talks...

And since we live about 4 minutes from the fields I hunt, bringing the little one will be easy this year. I figure a few years of exposure, then he'll be ready to get the .410 I got when I was young. This is the same .410 that was given to my father when he was 7 or 8. We're just a few years from the third generation of use.
Gun control is hitting the bullseye

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

mossytxn wrote: And since we live about 4 minutes from the fields I hunt, bringing the little one will be easy this year. I figure a few years of exposure, then he'll be ready to get the .410 I got when I was young. This is the same .410 that was given to my father when he was 7 or 8. We're just a few years from the third generation of use.
That is awesome!

And, on another note... why is it that every Walgreens in North Texas is out of Chigarid?!!!!!

mossytxn

Post by mossytxn »

Crossfire wrote:And, on another note... why is it that every Walgreens in North Texas is out of Chigarid?!!!!!
ummm, because it's dove season....

I'd kill for some right now. Maybe not kill, but severely maim. I only have about 40 bites on my legs. It is available on Amazon right now for about 6 bucks.
Gun control is hitting the bullseye

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

mossytxn wrote:
Crossfire wrote:And, on another note... why is it that every Walgreens in North Texas is out of Chigarid?!!!!!
ummm, because it's dove season....

I'd kill for some right now. Maybe not kill, but severely maim. I only have about 40 bites on my legs. It is available on Amazon right now for about 6 bucks.
A pharmacist told us to use Vicks Vapor Rub. Same active ingredients. It is messier than Chigarid, but it does stop the itching. For awhile.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”