Bought a .410 double

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

bulinm
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Bought a .410 double

Post by bulinm »

Very nice. Congratulations.

Several years ago I bought myself a Mossberg .410, intending it to be my dove gun, as I
was becoming so efficient and deadly with my side-by 20 ga. I was also looking forward
to re-capturing those days of yore when I ventured into the field with my first shotgun, a
JC Higgins bolt-action .410, a scourge on the bird population.

Well, lemme tell you, that was a humbing experience. Hell, some of the dove I was shootin'
at just lit and started walkin'.

That little Mossberg awaits the next expert in the family.
Dallas

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doin' in a rustic setting like this ?

puma guy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by puma guy »

bulinm wrote:Very nice. Congratulations.

Several years ago I bought myself a Mossberg .410, intending it to be my dove gun, as I
was becoming so efficient and deadly with my side-by 20 ga. I was also looking forward
to re-capturing those days of yore when I ventured into the field with my first shotgun, a
JC Higgins bolt-action .410, a scourge on the bird population.

Well, lemme tell you, that was a humbing experience. heck, some of the dove I was shootin'
at just lit and started walkin'.

That little Mossberg awaits the next expert in the family.
Doves seem to have lead shot sensing radar.
The way Andy is shooting skeet with his .410 double SXS we may have to handicap him with a bolt action. Shooting doubles w/ a bolt action :smilelol5:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

fm2

Post by fm2 »

Nice looking blaster, I bet it's a delight to carry afield.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

puma guy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote:
puma guy wrote:Doves seem to have lead shot sensing radar.
I've been convinced of that same thing for decades!
puma guy wrote:The way Andy is shooting skeet with his .410 double SXS we may have to handicap him with a bolt action. Shooting doubles w/ a bolt action :smilelol5:
Hmmm... how much do those cost? :cool:
Don't know about now, but back when I sold them they about the price of two boxes of .410 shell today. They the first gun of a lot of kids.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Deltaboy »

Love 410's I still got my Ithaca M-66 Super Single I got when I was 7. It been my go to gun when I was growing up on the Farm. Slugs take care of yotes ,dogs, coons and other critters , #6's put squirrels and rabbits in the pot.

They are easy on the shoulder and your daughter will enjoy that double.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Hi Andy, LTNTT. My first shotgun was a Winchester Mod. 42 that I got for my 6th birthday. I then grew up on a Remington Mod.1100 .410. That's the only hunting shotguns I ever used. Tell you what..using a 410 bore sure teaches you how to lead! Good choice. Have hunted quails & doves when I was a kid, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's fun! It puts the 'sporting' back into bird hunting.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

I've got a .410 double-gun as well, and it's a hoot. I haven't hunted or shot trap/skeet/clays with it, but it's a right handy "snake gun" to keep around.

Me being me, I had to be different, and a couple years ago, found "my" .410 double-gun. It's an ancient shotgun, sidelock, external hammers, double trigger, and just barely this side of the age of fluid steel barrels. The only real marking left on it is a barely-legible "American Gun" "New York" on the left sideplate. Adding to that, the wood's beat up, there's zero bluing, and the action's so loose I had to shim the foreend to reduce the "barrel wobble."

I got it for about 50 bucks. :biggrinjester: It works, so I got my money's worth. :mrgreen:

I do have to say, the other shotguns posted are much prettier than mine.

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

JSThane wrote:I've got a .410 double-gun as well, and it's a hoot. I haven't hunted or shot trap/skeet/clays with it, but it's a right handy "snake gun" to keep around.

Me being me, I had to be different, and a couple years ago, found "my" .410 double-gun. It's an ancient shotgun, sidelock, external hammers, double trigger, and just barely this side of the age of fluid steel barrels. The only real marking left on it is a barely-legible "American Gun" "New York" on the left sideplate. Adding to that, the wood's beat up, there's zero bluing, and the action's so loose I had to shim the foreend to reduce the "barrel wobble."

I got it for about 50 bucks. :biggrinjester: It works, so I got my money's worth. :mrgreen:

You have an old Crescent Firearms Co. "Trade Brand Named" gun. Crescent made double guns in Norwich, CT for 40 years, 1892 thru 1931. Many early retailers(Sears, Wards, Penneys) as well as small hardware companies contracted with Crescent for double guns. If the gun coming off the line wasn't for one of those contracts it got the American Gun Co. roll marks and was wholesaled or retailed thru H.D. Folsom of New York(Folsom owned the Crescent works). Pre-war the exposed hammer guns came in 5 grades and were priced from $12 to $16. The hammerless doubles were marketed as "Knickerbockers" and came in 3 grades $25, $27, and $30.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

Dadtodabone wrote:
JSThane wrote:I've got a .410 double-gun as well, and it's a hoot. I haven't hunted or shot trap/skeet/clays with it, but it's a right handy "snake gun" to keep around.

You have an old Crescent Firearms Co. "Trade Brand Named" gun. Crescent made double guns in Norwich, CT for 40 years, 1892 thru 1931. Many early retailers(Sears, Wards, Penneys) as well as small hardware companies contracted with Crescent for double guns. If the gun coming off the line wasn't for one of those contracts it got the American Gun Co. roll marks and was wholesaled or retailed thru H.D. Folsom of New York(Folsom owned the Crescent works). Pre-war the exposed hammer guns came in 5 grades and were priced from $12 to $16. The hammerless doubles were marketed as "Knickerbockers" and came in 3 grades $25, $27, and $30.
That is indeed what I've got. I'd researched it shortly after grabbing it, but it's been a year or three, and I'd forgotten. :biggrinjester:

It's old and worn enough that my only real concern is "does it work?" Yes, it works quite well, and I suspect that in a few years, it'll make a good "first shotgun" for our daughter. Functional, but old and beat up enough that she can't "hurt" it.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Cool find .
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”