9mm vs 380

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Canon1d4
Posts in topic: 4

9mm vs 380

Post by Canon1d4 »

I'm getting ready to buy another gun, something like a pocket pistol. I need something to carry when I can't carry a real gun. I'm looking at the Sig 938 and the 238. I'm not much of a fan of either 9mm or 380, I normally carry a Kimber CDPII ultra .45, but sometimes it would be nice to have something smaller according to how I dress. I was wondering if anyone had any real life experience with the 380. The 380 is about 1/2" shorter than the 9mm, so it would be easier to drop in a pocket. I worry about the results though if you actually had to use it. Your thought will be appreciated.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 9mm vs 380

Post by RPBrown »

I have carried a P3AT for some time as a BUG or a quick throw in your pocket for a quick trip to the store gun. However, my wife was looking for a new carry pistol and she found the P938. Liked the feel and that it was a 9mm (which is what she prefers) so we went to the range and rented one for her to try. She loved it. I also tried it and found it to be a very good little pistol. Santa actually brought us each one so I am retiring the Kel-Tec to the safe after the break in of the Sig.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

what's the old sayin'..? a .380 in your pocket is better than a kimber in your safe. you can't go wrong with a ruger LCP
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

I have both the P238 and the P938. I'm not going to sell the P238 anytime soon, but I only carry the P938.

That extra .4 inches of overall length is a total non-issue. In fact, I had to check the specs on the Sig website to confirm the difference was that much.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

Canon1d4 wrote:I'm getting ready to buy another gun, something like a pocket pistol. I need something to carry when I can't carry a real gun. I'm looking at the Sig 938 and the 238. I'm not much of a fan of either 9mm or 380, I normally carry a Kimber CDPII ultra .45, but sometimes it would be nice to have something smaller according to how I dress. I was wondering if anyone had any real life experience with the 380. The 380 is about 1/2" shorter than the 9mm, so it would be easier to drop in a pocket. I worry about the results though if you actually had to use it. Your thought will be appreciated.
I carry an XDm 9mm Compact as my every day carry weapon I have no issue with a 9mm as my every day weapon. The link below seems to confirm that shot placement is key (within reason) and capacity will take you farther than "knock down power" based on statistics from LEOs in shooting incidents.

http://looserounds.com/2014/09/21/fbi-9 ... -division/

I also own a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380 which I carry occasionally during the summer when I'm wearing shorts or lighter clothes. I hear a lot of talk about .380 not having enough punch etc. but I have no issue counting on it for self defense. I think well placed shots from a .380 will stop threats effectively.

My two cents...
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

Topic author
Canon1d4

Post by Canon1d4 »

I appreciate all the replies, I think that I will go for the p938. I don't think that the extra bit of length will matter, and the 9mm will give at least better piece of mind.

winters
Banned

Post by winters »

I know its not as small as the little 380's but I like my walther 9mm pps pretty well. I don't like the recoil of the 380's.

charliee

Post by charliee »

I front pocket carry a P938, cocked and locked with Federal HST 124 grain. I have put 500 rounds thru it with no problems at all. I also like my Kahr CM9. Very slightly lighter and double action only. If you front pocket carry the P938 I would strongly recommend a pocket holster that covers the thumb safety. I got mine from Vetter Holsters.

patterson

Post by patterson »

I would go for the Sig P224

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

Another vote for the P938
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Topic author
Canon1d4

Post by Canon1d4 »

Bought the P938 this afternoon. Went to the indoor range to give it a run through and they were closed. I don't want to carry it before I run some ammo through it, but I do have it in my pocket as we speak. I also bought a Blackhawk pocket holster for now. I will most likely get a better holster as time permits. The P938 that I bought is not listed on the Sig website though. Mine is the engraved one.

I'm trying to decide what ammo to carry in it now. I carry Speer Gold Dot short barrel rounds in my CDPII ultra. The shop guy said he used Civil Defense ammo in his but these are +P and I don't know how that will work in such a small gun. Any advice on which rounds would be appreciated.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I keep mine loaded with Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr. My reasoning is that from such a short barrel I want the lighter bullet so it can get up as much speed as possible before it leaves the muzzle.

Besides, it was designed for short barrels and the shape promotes reliable feeding.

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Itnkrman

Post by Itnkrman »

Go to Youtube and look up "Ammo Quest 9mm". There's a series of 8-12 videos with a demo of different kinds of ammo through short barrel 9mm's.

Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4I9G9Fkv_w

After you've seen the intro a couple of times you can FFW to the important stuff. Pretty interesting conclusions. Based on his test results, I've starting carrying the Federal HST 124g. (I would carry the 147g if I could find it.) This isn't the only good choice, just my decision.

Perhaps I should start another thread, but I'd be interested in your experience and feedback vs. his conclusions.
Ruger SR9c
Taurus PT640 Pro
Bersa 380
Stevens 20ga.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Canon1d4 wrote:I appreciate all the replies, I think that I will go for the p938. I don't think that the extra bit of length will matter, and the 9mm will give at least better piece of mind.
Wise move. In my case the pocket gun is a Kahr PM9, but it disappears into a pocket. My EDC is a XDS-45, which can also be pocketed in a pinch if absolutely necessary. But given how easy it is to conceal the Kahr, a .380 is pointless. In fact it is not significantly bigger than the P3AT I used to own, and in which I lacked confidence.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Looks like a great little BUG. I've never carried a BUG, but began considering something smaller for more discrete carry when the wardrobe designates it and for possible use as a BUG. I was going to mention the gun I've been thinking about, the little XD-S 9mm 3.3". That's if you wanted to do 9mm. I haven't decided that yet or to go with the .45ACP that is the same size. Almost had one here a little while ago, but it was sold out from under me.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”