The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
jeremybme
Posts in topic: 1

How to disarm correctly

Post by jeremybme »

So the scenario is:

i goto meet friends and i see a 51% sign, so i go back to the car where i keep a pistol lock box in the trunk, can I just pull my gun out of my IWB and then secure in trunk and not worry if anyone happens to catch me in the act of being un-concealed?

what about when we leave, can i walk back to the trunk pull it out of the lock box and put it back in my IWB?

i'm new to all of this and im carrying daily now so i'm trying to understand and be prepared for situations that might present themselves.

thanks in advance

grim-bob

Re: How to disarm correctly

Post by grim-bob »

you need to stay concealed so what you have listed won't work. One option would be to disarm in your car out of view then wrap the weapon in a shirt or towel to place in the trunk. Same for rearming. But the action of going to the trunk to obviously stow something is really calling attention anyway.

What I would recommend and what I believe most here do is to disarm in the vehicle and put it in a locked console or lockable gun box cabled to the seat or something else immovable.
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

For various reasons, I try to make what I'm doing as inconspicuous as possible. As far as legality, I wouldn't be too cavalier about intentionally exposing my handgun. That may get you some unwanted attention.

Also, as time has gone on though, I have become less concerned about the occassional accidental unintentional exposure.

Welcome to the crowd that takes a proactive step to protect themselves and their loved ones.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
(a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder’s person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place.
This is where you would most likely get in trouble with a MWAG call.

Also, that thief who is lurking in the parking lot now knows where to steal a gun. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Itnkrman

Post by Itnkrman »

grim-bob wrote:What I would recommend and what I believe most here do is to disarm in the vehicle and put it in a locked console or lockable gun box cabled to the seat or something else immovable.
:iagree: For this exact reason, I have a nanovault that is kept under the passenger seat of my car with the cable wrapped around the seat base. A worthy ~$30 investment for added privacy, security and convenience.

IMO, going to the trunk every time would eventually become a PITA and might cause you to quit carrying all together.
Ruger SR9c
Taurus PT640 Pro
Bersa 380
Stevens 20ga.

Jeepsk8

Post by Jeepsk8 »

This is only my second post, but I drive a Jeep and have a underseat lockbox that is actually bolted to the seat. If I'm somewhere I can't carry, I just reach under the seat, and place the handgun in there. Once I get out, I just lean over and lock it up. Works really well.

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

Two things that either drive me nuts, or give me pause.
- I have a nano for the car but what with all the wiring and hardware under both front seats, while I can manage to get it under the seat, it is extremely difficult to get out. Which leaves me with having to get out, and stand there bent over into my car practically standing on my head, trying to free the box...only to then have to get back inside to open the box to retrieve my weapon. And don't get me started about trying to bend over while in my seat and get the key in the nano's lock with out rendering myself unconscious from my head banging on the steering wheel.
- I don't know about anyone else but having to put my IWB holster back into my WB while sitting there isn't the easiest thing to do. Never seem to get it just right as the dang seatbelt thingie is r-r-right there. And as for worrying about MWAG, have also been in a situation when just about to put the holster back into my WB only to have a minivan pull up next to me, a bunch of kids pile out and stand there with one of them staring at me. So then I have sat and waited as it would make my day for the kid to point at me and start telling Mom that that man has a gun.

I really miss OC on those days and admit that there have been a few times where I knew I couldn't carry at one particular upcoming destination, and decided that I just didn't want to fight with the nano that day, so didn't carry.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

epontius

Post by epontius »

I carry fullsize 92fs in an IWB AlienGear holster. If I need to disarm, I go back to the car, scoot down in the seat a little and remove my gun making sure to keep everything below the sight line of the windows and slip it into the glovebox and lock the glovebox. Then do the reverse for re-arming. I've thought about getting a gun vault micro for the car if I can figure out a way to secure it.
I think the goal is to be as discrete as possible and try not to attract too much attention. Until this country is a little more used to the legal handling of firearms anyone that sees anyone with a gun will automatically assume they are up to no good.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Itnkrman is right on the money.

Cabled to the seat frame, very strong boxes, are relatively inexpensive, (I paid about $40/45 for my Center of Mass lock box) and when one has to disarm, this is one very good way to to go...

Disarming in the open, for all to see, not at all good...from possible arrest to theft is never a good approach.

Good luck!

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Honestly I have a vault under my seat attached with a cable to the frame of the seat. now given how thin the metal is I suspect a good yank or 2 will deform the metal enough so the vault and gun get taken, so I don't even bother with it any more just drop in center console or put under back seat and go about my biz. If it gets stolen I just get a new gun. Honestly my glove box would be a better spot but it is full of manuals I never read and repair bills and it doesn't lock like the old cars did.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

I just slip my still-holstered gun (Comp-Tac IWB Minotaur) out from my belt and drop the still-holstered gun into the center console. Coming back to the car, I open my belt and slide the holstered handgun into my waist band and tuck the shirt around it, refasten the belt, and go.

I don't spend any energy worrying about it, it has become second nature.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

Glockster wrote: - I don't know about anyone else but having to put my IWB holster back into my WB while sitting there isn't the easiest thing to do. Never seem to get it just right as the dang seatbelt thingie is r-r-right there.
one day a week i visit my kids schools for lunch with them and at least twice a week i have physical therapy.... on those days regardless if I'm carrying IWB or OWB i leave the holster on and just lock the weapon in the console... AND lock the doors... havent been called out yet for the empty holster even though those in therapy has seen it and i suspect the school resource officer seen my OWB one day, but he hasnt said anything.. When stowing the weapon and re-holstering I always check the area to ensure nobody sees it....
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

I mounted a lock box into the console of my truck and then cabled it to the console frame. It's easy to get to and as safe as anything else. On the rare occasion I need to disarm (day care) I drop it in there before I get out of the vehicle and rearm when I return.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

kkahler

Post by kkahler »

What about 46.02(2)?
PC §46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS
. (a) A person commits an
offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his
or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person’s own premises or premises under the person’s control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned
by the person or under the person’s control.

Don't get me wrong...I completely understand the point of being discrete with your firearm; however, legally can't you disarm in a parking lot? Maybe standing behind your car disarming your firearm isn't "en route"...

joe817

Post by joe817 »

kkahler wrote:What about 46.02(2)?
PC §46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS
. (a) A person commits an
offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his
or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person’s own premises or premises under the person’s control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned
by the person or under the person’s control.

Don't get me wrong...I completely understand the point of being discrete with your firearm; however, legally can't you disarm in a parking lot? Maybe standing behind your car disarming your firearm isn't "en route"...
You can disarm in the parking lot, but a Pawpaw said above, the issue would then be:
"PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
(a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder’s person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place."

Not 46.02(2)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “New to CHL?”