Cruz Declares Candidacy for POTUS 2016

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 8

Cruz Declares Candidacy for POTUS 2016

Post by RoyGBiv »

As much as I despise the NYT, I thought this was a fair analysis.

Why Ted Cruz Is Such a Long Shot
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

jamminbutter
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Cruz Declares Candidacy for POTUS 2016

Post by jamminbutter »

I like Mr. Cruz alot but I think that he needs more political experience so my eyes are on Mr. Walker for now.

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

RoyGBiv wrote:As much as I despise the NYT, I thought this was a fair analysis.

Why Ted Cruz Is Such a Long Shot
But he beat Dewhurst who was supposed to be a shoe in.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I like Ted Cruz as my senator. Very broadly, I prefer to elect a sitting governor as president. There are pros and cons in either case. Whether senator or governor, I would prefer my presidential candidate to have completed at least one full term before running for president.

Most importantly, my condidate must be electable. Another term or two with a Democrat in charge would not bode well for gun rights.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

I am all in, 100%, for Ted Cruz for President! :patriot:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 10

Post by baldeagle »

This is Cruz' speech today at Liberty University.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

The biggest thing that makes Cruz "unelectable" is all the people talking about how he's unelectable, because he's unelectable, because people are talking about how he's unelectable...

Sure, he's a junior Senator, on his first term. But in 2016, he'll have been a Senator for 4 years, twice what our sitting President was. Yes, he's a firebrand, but I think we need that, and after the current Occupant-In-Chief, we need someone who will push hard to undo the damage that's been done. He's principled, unafraid of the media OR "party elites," and he's not been around long enough to become part of the problem. Plus, IIRC, he's also got a fair bunch of "real-world" experience to boot.

He was on my "short list," and I can't say I'm displeased he's announced, except that if he wins, it'll leave a mighty big hole in the Senate.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

JSThane wrote:The biggest thing that makes Cruz "unelectable" is all the people talking about how he's unelectable, because he's unelectable, because people are talking about how he's unelectable...

Sure, he's a junior Senator, on his first term. But in 2016, he'll have been a Senator for 4 years, twice what our sitting President was. Yes, he's a firebrand, but I think we need that, and after the current Occupant-In-Chief, we need someone who will push hard to undo the damage that's been done. He's principled, unafraid of the media OR "party elites," and he's not been around long enough to become part of the problem. Plus, IIRC, he's also got a fair bunch of "real-world" experience to boot.

He was on my "short list," and I can't say I'm displeased he's announced, except that if he wins, it'll leave a mighty big hole in the Senate.
Exactly! We are our own worst enemy! First we say we want that we need / want a real Conservative for a change, then when we get one we say " he's too Conservative to be electable"... :confused5
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Jason K
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Jason K »

I pose a question for anyone here who would not be willing to vote for Cruz......

....If not Cruz, who?

If Rand Paul announced his candidacy tomorrow, I would have a tough choice b/t the two. If any other Republican "front-runner" announced, my choice would be a lot easier.

....If not Cruz, who?

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Any and all Republican candidates will have weak points. In my opinion, it is way to early to start serious, detailed discussions.

In answer to the question, "Who else", Scott Walker comes to mind. There are several potential candidates. I still want to hear more from governors and/or former governors who may be inclined to join the race.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I could go for a Jindal/Walker ticket, with either one in either position.

I adore Cruz, but we had a problem with Obama not serving a complete term, I would like for Cruz to do a full term, without campaigning for much of it.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jmra »

More power to him. I'll wait and look at all of the candidates. If I were a betting man though, I wouldn't bet the farm on Cruz getting the GOP nod.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

papabear

Post by papabear »

I hate to ask this. I am for Cruz. As much as we said O could not be president because he was not a Natural born Citizen. How are we going to justify Cruz coming from Canada

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 10

Post by baldeagle »

papabear wrote:I hate to ask this. I am for Cruz. As much as we said O could not be president because he was not a Natural born Citizen. How are we going to justify Cruz coming from Canada
Very easy. HIs mother was a US citizen at the time of his birth. Therefore he is a natural born citizen. (The same applies to Obama, despite all the various claims about where he was born and who his father might have been.)
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

joe817

Post by joe817 »

baldeagle wrote:
papabear wrote:I hate to ask this. I am for Cruz. As much as we said O could not be president because he was not a Natural born Citizen. How are we going to justify Cruz coming from Canada
Very easy. HIs mother was a US citizen at the time of his birth. Therefore he is a natural born citizen. (The same applies to Obama, despite all the various claims about where he was born and who his father might have been.)
Besides, he's a Texan. :txflag: :cool:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “Federal”