House 5/27 - HB910 or SB11

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Winchster
Posts in topic: 4

Re: House 5/27 - HB910 or SB11

Post by Winchster »

So, I'm slightly confused.

From the Legislature website

If a bill is returned to the originating chamber with amendments, the originating chamber can either agree to the amendments or request a conference committee to work out differences between the house version and the senate version. If the amendments are agreed to, the bill is put in final form, signed by the presiding officers, and sent to the governor.

Conference committees are composed of five members from each house appointed by the presiding officers. Once the conference committee reaches agreement, a conference committee report is prepared and must be approved by at least three of the five conferees from each house. Conference committee reports are voted on in each house and must be approved or rejected without amendment. If approved by both houses, the bill is signed by the presiding officers and sent to the governor.

Paragraph 1 implies: If the differences are ironed out the Speaker and Lt. Governor sign and send to the Governor.

Paragraph 2 implies: If the differences are ironed out a report is issued and then voted on in each house.

Which is it? What am I missing?
What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

7GenTex
Posts in topic: 2

Maybe another angle........?

Post by 7GenTex »

HB 910 now goes to committee and they are going to conference over the amendment.

However, if the amendment is withdrawn by Huffines, I believe the bill can be brought back for a vote without the conference reaching a conclusion? Or would that require both houses to vote on it again?

(edited a bit after reading the above post)
Last edited by 7GenTex on Wed May 27, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 16

Post by sugar land dave »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Thank you CJ Grisham/OCT and Sen. Huffines for setting up HB910 to be filibustered. The amendment provided no protection in the real world and it may well have killed open-carry. People can argue pro and con on the merits of the amendment until the Second Coming, but the fact is it may have killed the bill.

To those who care only about making a point, rather than a difference, I hope you're happy. Mount your high horse, pontificate for hours, but make sure you keep your handgun concealed while you do so. :banghead: This is what happens when people who don't know what they are doing try to get involved in legislation that carries with it a high degree of emotion.

Chas.
Charles,

How many times do they have to throw us under the bus? I seriously begin to question what if anything they bring to our party except grief, poor public relations, resentment from most of our political friends, and an unwillingness to take a 90 % win when it is there to be had.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 11

Post by NotRPB »

joe817 wrote:Just got back home. Have read the thread. Stickland(no r) is up. Is he trying to keep the bill alive?
@RepStickland & Simpson double teamed the chair&parlimentarian? #parliamentaryinquiry

I'm no lawyer
but what Parlimentarian read sounds like Cmttee is limited to language passed by Senate OR House (so Dutton OR Huffines) but can't add nor delete text ?

@RepStickland asserts they have a choice of grammar then, between Huffines or Dutton's 4 word difference is the limit of committee action

I'm not sure if an amendment could be "removed" by Huffines since it was voted ...

I'm officially lost in "Rules" now
Last edited by NotRPB on Wed May 27, 2015 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joe817
Posts in topic: 5

Post by joe817 »

NotRPB wrote:
joe817 wrote:Just got back home. Have read the thread. Stickland(no r) is up. Is he trying to keep the bill alive?
@RepStickland & Simpson ? #parliamentaryinquiry

I'm no lawyer but what Parlimentarian read sounds like Cmttee is limited to language passed by Senate OR House (so Dutton OR Huffines) but can't add nor delete text ?

@RepStickland asserts they have a choice of grammar then, between Huffines or Dutton's 4 word difference is the limit of committee action

I'm not sure if an amendment could be "removed" by Huffines since it was voted ...I'm officially lost in "Rules" now
Thanks NotRPB. :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

txyaloo

Post by txyaloo »

Winchster wrote:So, I'm slightly confused.

If a bill is returned to the originating chamber with amendments, the originating chamber can either agree to the amendments or request a conference committee to work out differences between the house version and the senate version. If the amendments are agreed to, the bill is put in final form, signed by the presiding officers, and sent to the governor.

Conference committees are composed of five members from each house appointed by the presiding officers. Once the conference committee reaches agreement, a conference committee report is prepared and must be approved by at least three of the five conferees from each house. Conference committee reports are voted on in each house and must be approved or rejected without amendment. If approved by both houses, the bill is signed by the presiding officers and sent to the governor.

Paragraph 1 implies: If the differences are ironed out the Speaker and Lt. Governor sign and send to the Governor.

Paragraph 2 implies: If the differences are ironed out a report is issued and then voted on in each house.

Paragraph 1 says: The originating chamber can confer on the amendments. If they confer (amendments are agreed to), the bill is signed by the presiding officers and sent to the governor

Paragraph 2 says: If they can't confer, a conference committee is formed. If/when the committee reaches an agreement, a report is formed, and then the house/senate vote on the report.

Paragrouper
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Paragrouper »

sugar land dave wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Thank you CJ Grisham/OCT and Sen. Huffines for setting up HB910 to be filibustered. The amendment provided no protection in the real world and it may well have killed open-carry. People can argue pro and con on the merits of the amendment until the Second Coming, but the fact is it may have killed the bill.

To those who care only about making a point, rather than a difference, I hope you're happy. Mount your high horse, pontificate for hours, but make sure you keep your handgun concealed while you do so. :banghead: This is what happens when people who don't know what they are doing try to get involved in legislation that carries with it a high degree of emotion.

Chas.
Charles,

How many times do they have to throw us under the bus? I seriously begin to question what if anything they bring to our party except grief, poor public relations, resentment from most of our political friends, and an unwillingness to take a 90 % win when it is there to be had.
When I hear their statements and observe their tactics it's apparent to be that they are driven by their own egos. Not only must they win, but it must be won their way so they can prove their importance. They drive division into a house that should be united, then blame others and make threats when the opposition exploits the division's they've created.
DCC
"Beware the fury of of the patient man." ~John Dryden

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

You're welcome, in a nutshell I think Stickland and Simpson were pointing out the amendment should not go away in committee, rather they decide which to use, depending on which order they want the 4 words in...

Rules regulating Conference Committees
http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/pubslegref/gtli.pdf#page=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (PDF)
Conference Committee
If a conference committee is requested, the presiding officers each appoint five members
from their respective chambers to serve on the committee. The senate rules require that at
least two of the senate conferees be members of the senate committee from which the bill
was reported. A conference committee’s charge is limited to reconciling differences between
the two chambers, and the committee, unless so directed, may not alter, amend, or omit
text that is not in disagreement. The committee also may not add text on any matter that is
not in disagreement or that is not included in either version of the bill in question
. After the
committee has reached an agreement, a report is prepared for submittal to the house and
senate. The report must be approved by at least three conferees from each chamber and must
contain the text of the bill as approved by the conference committee, a side-by-side analysis
comparing the text of the compromise bill to both the house and the senate versions, and
the signatures of those members of the conference committee who approved the report. A
conference committee report is not subject to amendment by the house or senate but must
be accepted or rejected in its entirety
So, do they want the Dutton version or the Huffines version with 4 words in different order?

Is that what determines Paragraph 1 versus Paragraph 2 below?

I admit I'm lost
txyaloo wrote:

Paragraph 1 says: The originating chamber can confer on the amendments. If they confer (amendments are agreed to), the bill is signed by the presiding officers and sent to the governor

Paragraph 2 says: If they can't confer, a conference committee is formed. If/when the committee reaches an agreement, a report is formed, and then the house/senate vote on the report
Last edited by NotRPB on Wed May 27, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 16

Post by sugar land dave »

kg5ie wrote:The politicians win both ways....they can say they voted in support of open carry passing the bill...and they can say they voted in support of law enforcement by leaving the amendment on, thus killing the bill.

Don't you love politics!
I love keeping score and when it becomes necessary voting out incumbents. It is the only thing they finally understand. Republicans have a majority in this state and support the second amendment? I didn't see anything today that suggests to me their honoring those suppositions. They just say the words, but words without actions are useless. Some guy named Paul in a Good Book said that a long time ago. It sadly still seems true this evening.
Last edited by sugar land dave on Wed May 27, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Winchster
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Winchster »

txyaloo wrote:

Paragraph 2 says: If they can't confer, a conference committee is formed. If/when the committee reaches an agreement, a report is formed, and then the house/senate vote on the report.
That makes more sense. Thanks. So we failed to reach agreement with paragraph 1 and have now moved to paragraph 2. Got it.
What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

pt145ss

Post by pt145ss »

So... Is it dead or not. When will they "confer" on it?

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 14

Post by v7a »

pt145ss wrote:So... Is it dead or not. When will they "confer" on it?
Patrick needs to appoint Senate members to the conference committee.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

<<deleted>>>
Last edited by NotRPB on Wed May 27, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Overthehill

Post by Overthehill »

Just emailed my Representative to thank him for his vote. He voted to concur. Stood firm throughout. Will be working hard for him next election.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Well, pick your metaphor: Fumbled on the one yard line in the last second of the game or Hoist by your own petard.... This legislature had the potential to get so much done and it was derailed by a bunch of all or nothing zealots and egos. I am still holding out SLIM hope for both HB 910 and SB 11 as they respectively go through Senate Concurrance and Conference Committee, but I am NOT holding my breath. It is obvious that the opposition is better organized and willing to compromise within their own ranks in order to defeat us while we argue over slightly different choices of words.........I fear that the next legislature may not be nearly as friendly to us as this one had the potential to be.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”