Home-Assembled Firearms Restriction Act of 2015

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Syntyr
Posts in topic: 2

Home-Assembled Firearms Restriction Act of 2015

Post by Syntyr »

Text of the Home-Assembled Firearms Restriction Act of 2015. It looks like this is being prepped. They are coming after the 80% lower industry. However, by reading this bill it would seem like all blocks of aluminum would now be illegal because you could mill them down into a weapon. :banghead:

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr376/text

114th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 376

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 14, 2015

Mr. Honda (for himself, Mr. Conyers, Mr. Hastings, Ms. Kelly of Illinois, Mr. Danny K. Davis of Illinois, Ms. Matsui, Ms. Schakowsky, and Mrs. Capps) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Energy and Commerce

A BILL

To prohibit the sale, offering for sale, manufacture for sale, distribution in commerce, or import into the United States of certain firearm receiver castings or blanks, assault weapon parts kits, and machinegun parts kits and to prohibit the marketing or advertising of such castings or blanks and kits on any medium of electronic communications.

Section 1.Short title

This Act may be cited as the “Home-Assembled Firearms Restriction Act of 2015”.

Sec. 2.Do-it-yourself assault weapon ban

(a)Banned hazardous products.—

Notwithstanding section 3(a)(5)(E) of the Consumer Product Safety Act (15 U.S.C. 2052(a)(5)(E)), the following shall be considered banned hazardous products under section 8 of such Act (15 U.S.C. 2057):

(1)A firearm receiver casting or firearm receiver blank that—

(A)at the point of sale does not meet the definition of a firearm in section 921(a) of title 18, United States Code; and

(B)after purchase by a consumer, can be completed by the consumer to the point at which such casting or blank functions as a firearm frame or receiver for a semiautomatic assault weapon or machine gun.

(2)An assault weapon parts kit.

(3)A machinegun parts kit.

(b)Enforcement.—

Subsection (a) shall be treated as a ban under section 19 of the Consumer Product Safety Act (15 U.S.C. 2068).

(c)Consultation.—

In enforcing this section, the Consumer Product Safety Commission shall periodically consult with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives regarding effective strategies for and methods of enforcement.

Sec. 3.Prohibition of advertising do-it-yourself assault weapons

(a)In general.—

It shall be unlawful to market or advertise, on any medium of electronic communications, including over the Internet, for the sale of any of the following:

(1)A firearm receiver casting or firearm receiver blank that—

(A)at the point of sale does not meet the definition of a firearm in section 921(a) of title 18, United States Code; and

(B)after purchase by a consumer, can be completed by the consumer to the point at which such casting or blank functions as a firearm frame or receiver for a semiautomatic assault weapon or machinegun.

(3)A machinegun parts kit.

(b)Enforcement by the Federal Trade Commission.—

A violation of subsection (a) shall be treated as a violation of a rule defining an unfair or deceptive act or practice described under section 18(a)(1)(B) of the Federal Trade Commission Act (15 U.S.C. 57a(a)(1)(B)). The Federal Trade Commission shall enforce this section in the same manner, by the same means, and with the same jurisdiction, powers, and duties as though all applicable terms and provisions of the Federal Trade Commission Act (15 U.S.C. 41 et seq.) were incorporated into and made a part of this Act.

(c)Rule of construction.—

Nothing contained in this Act shall be construed to limit the authority of the Federal Trade Commission under any other provision of law.

Sec. 4.Definitions

(a)Terms.—

For purposes of this Act—

(1)the term “assault weapon parts kit” means any part or combination of parts not designed and intended for repair or replacement but designed and intended to enable a consumer who possesses all such necessary parts to assemble a semiautomatic assault weapon;

(2)the term “machinegun parts kit” means any part or combination of parts designed and intended to enable a consumer who possesses all such necessary parts to assemble a machinegun or convert a firearm into a machinegun;

(3)the term “semiautomatic assault weapon” means—

(A)a semiautomatic rifle or semiautomatic shotgun that has the capacity to accept a detachable ammunition magazine; or

(B)a semiautomatic pistol that has—

(i)the capacity to accept a detachable ammunition magazine; and

(ii)any one of the features described in subsection (b);

(4)the term “machinegun” has the meaning given such term in section 5845(b) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;

(5)the term “semiautomatic pistol” means any repeating pistol that utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fixed cartridge case and chamber the next round and requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge;

(6)the term “semiautomatic rifle” has the meaning given such term in section 921(a)(28) of title 18, United States Code; and

(7)the term “semiautomatic shotgun” means any repeating shotgun that utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fixed cartridge case and chamber the next round and requires a separate pull of a trigger to fire each cartridge.

(b)Special features of a semiautomatic pistol.—

The special features described in subsection (a)(3)(B)(ii) are—

(1)an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2)a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

(3)a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(4)a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(5)a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.

Sec. 5.Construction

Nothing in this Act shall be construed as limiting the ability of a State to enact more restrictive gun-related laws, or bans on firearm receiver castings, firearm receiver blanks, assault weapon parts kits, or machinegun parts kits.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Jago668

Re: Home-Assembled Firearms Restriction Act of 2015

Post by Jago668 »

Any block of any size that could be milled into a receiver, so long as it would function after the milling. So lead, gold, etc would be okay, but aluminum, steel, titanium, etc wouldn't. Not to mention the ban on parts kit. So if they label it repair kit is it okay all of a sudden? Will have to give my rep a call about it.
NRA Benefactor Member

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jimlongley »

Jago668 wrote:Any block of any size that could be milled into a receiver, so long as it would function after the milling. So lead, gold, etc would be okay, but aluminum, steel, titanium, etc wouldn't. Not to mention the ban on parts kit. So if they label it repair kit is it okay all of a sudden? Will have to give my rep a call about it.
Given the broad definitions included in the bill, one would have to assume that lead, gold, and even styrofoam would be included, as there is no mention of the device having to be capable of firing more than one shot.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

So, it is still legal to print your lower?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I may be mistaken, but it seems that "parts kits" -- ie... trigger groups and perhaps even things like replacement stocks, forend kits or bolt carrier groups -- would be banned from sale or advertizing along with the 80% lowers. This legislation again seems to rely on the definition of a semi-automatic assault weapon. I doubt it will get any traction, but is proof that the political class regards an absolute monopoly of force (in their control) as a crucial stepping stone to their utopia.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

https://www.google.com/search?q=stapler ... 60&bih=669" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will this make all Staplers illegal, or just Semi-Auto Staplers and not Revolver or Single Shot Staplers :confused5 :willynilly: :headscratch ??
Attachments
Stapler Shotgun.jpg
Stapler Shotgun.jpg (5.63 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
tumblr_m4k59tRLUN1rvhbxso1_1280.jpg

txcharvel

Post by txcharvel »

Reading this makes me furious, but I seriously doubt this has any traction.

What is entertaining is that all of these bills are obviously written by someone who knows nothing about guns, rifles, or weapons period. It's as if they are looking at pictures or recalling what they've seen in movies and using that as a tool to describe what they are trying to outlaw. I especially love this one:
(3)a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
But...reading this one give me the creeps...maybe they do have someone mechanically inclined in their service. Even though they are referring to a shotgun cartridge and not a shell.
(7)the term “semiautomatic shotgun” means any repeating shotgun that utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fixed cartridge case and chamber the next round and requires a separate pull of a trigger to fire each cartridge.
This line is ominous as well, it could mean anything:
(5)a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.
I read regulations all day long and have successfully argued many points with regulators simply using the language from the regulations to prove my point. Of course, the SCOTUS has just set the precedence that words mean nothing. It's a sad day for common sense.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

:iagree:
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

Syntyr wrote: ....

(A)a semiautomatic rifle or semiautomatic shotgun that has the capacity to accept a detachable ammunition magazine; or
With this simple definition, my Marlin .22 is a semiautomatic assault weapon.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

jerry_r60 wrote:

So is a Ruger 10-22.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

jerry_r60 wrote:

Every weapon I have except for my Dan Wesson .357 would become illegal.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Syntyr wrote:
jerry_r60 wrote:

Every weapon I have except for my Dan Wesson .357 would become illegal.
Is its cylinder removable?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

4.Definitions
(a)Terms
For purposes of this Act—

(1)the term assault weapon parts kit means any part or combination of parts not designed and intended for repair or replacement but designed and intended to enable a consumer who possesses all such necessary parts to assemble a semiautomatic assault weapon;
This would make it illegal to buy a LPK for that AR you are assembling with a legal 100% receiver.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Well, let's see if any trends are readily observable:

Mr. Honda - CA (D)
Mrs. Capps - CA (D)
Mr. Conyers - MI (D)
Mr. Danny K. Davis of Illinois, IL (D)
Mr. Hastings - FL (D)
Ms. Kelly of Illinois, - IL (D)
Ms. Matsui - CA (D)
Ms. Schakowsky - IL (D)

This is going nowhere in the current House of Representatives so long as it is controlled by the letter (R).

However, when I read of someone saying they are not willing to vote for this Republican or that Republican because they are not a "pure enough" conservative, we always have to consider "compared to what". If we hadn't had conservatives sitting on their hands and refusing to vote in 2008, we would never have had to endure the last seven years of the Obamination. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Remember this bill as just another example of clueless liberal idiocy on display.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

jimlongley wrote:
Jago668 wrote:Any block of any size that could be milled into a receiver, so long as it would function after the milling. So lead, gold, etc would be okay, but aluminum, steel, titanium, etc wouldn't. Not to mention the ban on parts kit. So if they label it repair kit is it okay all of a sudden? Will have to give my rep a call about it.
Given the broad definitions included in the bill, one would have to assume that lead, gold, and even styrofoam would be included, as there is no mention of the device having to be capable of firing more than one shot.
Don't forget, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that can be eaten into a shape of a gun can be banned, regulated and have to be registered as well...Otherwise, they can be confiscated and you will have to be assigned to an alternative school because you pose a threat to society...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”