CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bdsnooks
Posts in topic: 1

Canton 1st Monday posted 30.06????

Post by bdsnooks »

Subject says it all-----

I've heard a lot about it and never been, so I'm planning to go next week, any reason I can't carry?

TIA
After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring.
He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.
The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I never seen any 30.06 signs. It covers many acres - Enjoy.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Me neither, I have not seen a 30.06 posting there at the main fairgrounds...

Ironically, there happens to be this bronze statue of a guy holding a big lever action rifle at the main entrance...IIRC...

I know that may not mean a thing, but I just happened to notice that...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

numist
Posts in topic: 3

Post by numist »

Been there many times while carrying. No signs anywhere I saw. If you want to see some neat older guns, check out the guy in the convention center near the west (I think) doors. Hope to be going next Thursday. Look for me, I'll be the guy with all the junk, an empty wallet and sore feet ;-)

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

If discovered, I guess they'd give verbal notice and ask you to leave:

http://www.firstmondaycanton.com/faq_policies.htm

"No concealed weapons, drugs, alcohol, loud music, amplifiers or vulgar language are allowed on the grounds at any time."

govnor

Post by govnor »

Went for the first time last month. First of all, I didn't see any signs. Secondly, it's a very safe area... I know, no reason not to pack. There's so many people there though...bumping into you and such, I'd do a discreet carry. Thirdly...there's a corny dog stand about every ten feet, so bring your wallet and an empty stomach!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because hard men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

NRA member!

atxgun

Post by atxgun »

If you really had to defend yourself at the fair grounds could you do it though? I might be too worried about all the bystanders

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

For any of this to make any sense, has there been any serious crimes committed (other than the occasional food poisoning ;-) ) in and around the fairgrounds in relation to patrons of these events???

I have never really heard of anything that would cause me to do anything other than what I do normally in my carry routine...

We don't live up that way, yet, but the few times I have been dragged through there, I have gotten nothing but sore feet and indigestion... ;-)

All in all, I have seen a lot of happy people in and around the fairgrounds and not a lot of people looking for trouble...

But I am not looking through rose colored glasses either...I'm sure there are some problems, but I just don't see it...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

govnor

Post by govnor »

stevie_d_64 wrote:For any of this to make any sense, has there been any serious crimes committed (other than the occasional food poisoning ;-) ) in and around the fairgrounds in relation to patrons of these events???

I have never really heard of anything that would cause me to do anything other than what I do normally in my carry routine...

We don't live up that way, yet, but the few times I have been dragged through there, I have gotten nothing but sore feet and indigestion... ;-)

All in all, I have seen a lot of happy people in and around the fairgrounds and not a lot of people looking for trouble...

But I am not looking through rose colored glasses either...I'm sure there are some problems, but I just don't see it...
I seriously doubt there are many problems at first monday. I think people want to carry for peace of mind, such as in situations with a suicidal maniac or the like. What are the odds of it happening there? Probably about as good as winning the lotto. But then again that's probably what the people in the Killeen Luby's thought.

It's highly unlikely, but anything can happen anywhere at anytime. That's the way I feel about it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because hard men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

NRA member!

numist

Post by numist »

The way the policy is written you would think it was just for vendors as part of an agreement. Even though this is posted obscurely on their website is it still enforeceable to visitors even though no 30.06 signs are found at the entrances? I've never seen any signs at any of the entrances to the area.

Nazrat

Post by Nazrat »

I have never seen any 30.06 signs in Canton. However, as the former prosecuting attorney for child support cases in that county, I was always running into "happy" customers there. It is definitely not the most dangerous place in Texas but it was much more so for me than the general public.

Quite a few petty crimes occur around First Monday but a significant portion of the community make the majority of their income from that weekend so the local authorities are usually very proactive.

numist

Post by numist »

I know what you mean about low criminal activity there. In all the years I have gone (at least 5+ times a year on average) I have never seen the LEO there work any harder than having to get up or sit down on the 4 wheelers they run around on there.

Longtooths

Post by Longtooths »

My parents live in Canton and have been to first monday many times carrying. If discovered you might have to let the person handle your piece and compliment you on it. but that's all.

Shoot I have even seen long guns available for sale ala gun show style laid out on the table.
I'm from Texas, what country are you from?

govnor

Post by govnor »

There are many different ways to walk into the trades days. I would just find a place without any sign and go in. If you are questioned then you can always show where you came in and there was no sign there. Just like at Grapevine Mills mall...there are several entrances that don't have the sign. Some do, so those are the ones to avoid.

NRA member!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”