Obama and Guns

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

C-dub
Posts in topic: 13

Re: Obama and Guns

Post by C-dub »

gdanaher wrote:He is quietly working to create anti gun legislation? He actually legalized illegal aliens? Really?? Is there any evidence of this at all? If so, quote it. Do not use the off the chart internet 'newspapers'. Try something like the WSJ, or the actual written legislation that was introduced and given a number. The POTUS might in fact be opposed to assault weapons, and everyone gets an opinion. He has made no effort to initiate legislation, and in the next 4 years if he is around you can bet it is a non issue. Please take what the folks at the big lobby in DC have to say about this with a grain of salt. They are selling memberships which means bucks. If they can get people all worked up, their pockets are enriched.
Sarah Brady claims Obama pushing ‘under the radar’ gun control
Gun Rights Examiner ^ | 19 April, 2011 | David Codrea
Posted on Wed Apr 20 2011 06:54:32 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time) by marktwain

Anti-gun activist Sarah Brady claims President Barack Obama is committed to stealth gun control according to a report in The Washington Post.

Recounting a March 30 meeting between Brady, her husband Jim and White House Press secretary Jay Carney, The Post reports:

During the meeting, President Obama dropped in and, according to Sarah Brady, brought up the issue of gun control, “to fill us in that it was very much on his agenda,” she said.

“I just want you to know that we are working on it,” Brady recalled the president telling them. “We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar.”

Among the measures discussed:

[H]ow records get into the system and what can be done about firearms retailers. Her husband specifically brought up the proposed ban on large magazine clips…

While Brady reports the president “just laughed” she also expressed “absolute confidence that the president was committed to regulation.”

That Obama is coyly discussing “processes…under the radar” directly contradicts a campaign pledge further documented via an official White House memorandum:

My Administration is committed to creating an unprecedented level of openness in Government. We will work together to ensure the public trust and establish a system of transparency, public participation, and collaboration. Openness will strengthen our democracy and promote efficiency and effectiveness in Government.

There is nothing transparent, open or participatory about maneuvers to exercise control over unalienable rights. The entire purpose of being “under the radar” is to escape detection.

(Excerpt) Read more at examiner.com ...
We've also talked about it here. Just search (obama under radar) on our forum.

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=56208&p=697136&hil ... ar#p697136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We've also talked about his immigration policies.

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=55814&hilit=obama+ ... immigrants" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/ju ... immigrants" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

The man currently occupying the White House has done several things that cannot be pinned down specifically. It is how this administration operates, by other means. They don't care what the laws say or about pushing legislation through. They simply decide to "interpret" things the way they want to and enforce what they want to, how they want to...NOTHING says that these ILLEGAL ALIEN people should not be deported for breaking our immigration laws, but this administration came out and said they weren't going to deport them...likely in an effort to sway a voting block to their side. The "Fast and Furious" operation was NOT intended to catch criminals; if it were, they would have tried to ACTUALLY TRACK the guns and arrest people the way it was done during the Bush administration. "F&F" was intended to drum up public support for a new AWB but it backfired on them. They touted those ridiculous numbers about what percentage of guns in Mexico were from the USA via private sales...and needed something to back it up, especially since they invited ol' Calderon to DC to lash us dirty firearms owners for the trouble in Mexico. This administration is anti-firearm, anti-self-defense and will do whatever they can get away with to cause us problems. If people love this administration, fine, go ahead and proclaim your love, don't be shy about it...but stop trying to make out that they are just innocent and misunderstood and the "evil meanie Republicans won't play nice".

Slowplay
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Slowplay »

Yep, why should Obama care about getting legislation pushed through when he can just ignore the oath he took & do whatever he wants through executive fiat. If he doesn't like a law, he orders it not to be enforced and/or he chooses not to defend it in court. If he can't get legislation passed & on his desk to sign, he directs the executive branch to act as if it was de facto the law.

Reading this thread reminds me that progressives will continue to vilify the opponents of their guy while trying to make you believe their guy just really isn't that bad. Most of us seem able to see through their tactics, but progressives are a persistent bunch. The Obama guys seem to follow the approach of repeating a lie often enough...
NRA Benefactor Member
"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance..."
- John Philpot Curran

Matto79
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Matto79 »

glockstero wrote:So Matto,

Considering Obama's record of truth telling thus far, what makes you think he will keep his word on his views of the 2nd ammedment? Me thinks it will be like his promise to have the health care bill debated and discussed on CSPAN among a slew of other lies.
Well, I can ask the same thing about Mitt Romney. How are we to believe Mitt Romney that he is against creating new gun control laws when he signed and enacted the Assault Weapons Ban in Massachusetts? Just because he said he's for protecting the 2nd amendment during campaign season and he joined the NRA?

And just so you don't think I sidestepped your last comment, you are correct. He did say they would broadcast the debates on C-SPAN and that never happened. I'll give you that.

What makes me think he'll (Obama) keep his promise? Partly due to the fact that be hasn't done anything to us (gun owners) yet. He hasn't enacted any new laws. All he's done is (and I know this next word will get jumped on) talk about greater enforcing the current gun laws we have. He's for the assault weapons ban. Fine. This will sound ignorant, but oh well. I already have one. Got the only one I want/need. If he's successful, I guess I bought mine in time. (Sorry for how ignorant that sounds, really)

Will criminals still gain access to assault weapons if a ban is reinstated, probably. But here is a worse problem, I think.

Search TXCHLFORUM for topics regarding James Holmes or Wade Michael Page. You'll see the few topics regarding the facts of the shootings and how tragic they were.

Then the anti-liberal/anti-democrats/anti-Obama comments. Heck, one person said his 16 year old had a theory that the Colorado shooting was probably orchestrated by anti-gun liberals to help further their gun control agenda. I understand free speech, but that comment still has me upset. That is as bad as the 9/11 conspiracy theorists suggesting that was planned by Bush's administration to allow them to pass the Patriot Act and sidestep laws so they could go and do whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted. Both are wrong.

You can even search "Obama", and you'll get a ton of hits of anti-Obama sentiment over a huge range of issues, particularly gun.

Moreover, try searching the forum for comments regarding condemnation or punishment or hatred of James Holmes and Wade Michael Page. You won't find any, at least I didn't. That's a problem. Its people like these two sick and deranged men, who actually bought hand guns and an AR15 legally and proceeded to go on shooting rampages, that have caused us gun owners to have this discussion right now. These killers screwed us! They bought their guns the same way we did, except where we are responsible and hopefully good Christian people, these men are/were evil with like intentions of doing harm. You wan't to be mad at a President who hasn't messed with our gun rights? Fine.

I'll be irritated at people like these killers who's evil acts are forcing this unfortunate dialog were having/debating about gun control. If (and I believe with all my heart it won't happen) the government came after our guns, it won't be mainly their (govt) fault. It will be the fault of evil ignorant killers like Homles and Page that screwed it up for the rest of us by forcing the hand of those in power.

Trust me, blame Page and Holmes.
XDM .45 4.5
XDM 9mm Compact 3.8
Kimber Ultra Carry II .45

Thoughts on CHL Carry - I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it!

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jimlongley »

Matto79 wrote: . . . Partly due to the fact that be hasn't done anything to us (gun owners) yet. He hasn't enacted any new laws. All he's done is (and I know this next word will get jumped on) talk about greater enforcing the current gun laws we have. . . .
Well, that depends on how far back you go. He does have a track record of lying about his support for gun owners, which sure seems to be a large part of anything that he has done.

You also can know him by the company he keeps, what he says seems to me to be for political purposes and to placate the "powerful gun lobby" but those around him are most certainly anti-rights and have proved it many times.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Matto79

Post by Matto79 »

C-dub wrote:
I hope you have as much disdain for lies that Dingy Harry and the Obamanation have told about Mitt and Bain Capital as you do for theoretical concerns that conservatives do about the Obamanation base on his prior actions and statements. The latest is, of course, that Mitt is responsible for a woman's death from, undiagnosed while at Bain, cancer 7 years after he left the company and 5 years after she left another company where she did have health care coverage.
C-dub, I didn't quote the rest of your post because with some of your claims, I don't know enough or anything about that to give an educated/proper opinioned response. As far as Mitt and Bain go, I assume you mean the claim that Mitt was secretly in charge of Bain during discussed period of massive job outsourcing and several business going bankrupt. Yea, that's quite a stretch of the truth, and several fact check sites agree. However, I won't say all lies in the fact that during his many leave of absences, and post leaving the firm, Mitt received pretty nice compensation packages, partly made possible by Bain's actions in regards to their outsourcing efforts of certain companies. That would be the main and only fault of Mitt in my opinion. Maybe not running the show, but taking a fat paycheck bankrolled off job losses in the US. That's it. But did he order Bain to make those moves? I don't think so. So yeah, Obama's campaign should back off that, and reword their claim better.

I do wish Mitt would release those tax returns though. I personally would like to know his worth, and what made in salary dating back to the early Bain days. Hiding his taxes only adds fuel to the fire. If he has nothing to hide, just release them. Nearly every president and candidate has before him, including his Dad.

In regard to your claim hoping I'm fair about false claims being made from both sides, I assure you I am. I don't like when either side takes things out of context, or uses inflammatory speech to get people riled up over half-truths and falsehoods. For example, Obama should talk to his ad folks and have them quit pursuing the angle that Mitt, while running Bain, ordered jobs be outsourced to China. That type of claim is helping no one be more informed properly. Honestly, I hate that, from both sides. I can't stand when people make false statements and try to pass them off as truths. Polarizing people like Sarah Palin are the worst. They infect our conversations with their ignorance, and most of the time, we do nothing. Like someone else posts, we look for the part in the article that we agree with, and stop reading. I try to look at everything I can.

I hated it when people made comparisons of Bush and Monkeys and called him a War Criminal and I hate it now when people paint Hilter mustaches on Obama's face and call him a Nazi, or emphasize his middle name trying to imply he's a Muslim terrorist. Its all wrong. But, people like ignorance unfortunately.

Also, I'm not one of those people who think all conservatives and declared Republicans are bad people and the only ones who spit ignorance. Liberals/Democrats (I wish those weren't dirty words in Texas) are just as guilty of playing that game too. And that's why I've spoken up. I'm just tired of reading and hearing people tear down the President with false statements, or not taking the time to back up their claims with research. I can't sit back anymore and not say anything. I may lean and vote Democrat more than I do Republican (but I have voted for and will still vote for several Republicans), but at least I'm not so far to one side that I forget the other side exists. And just to be clear, I'm not implying that you are like that either.
Last edited by Matto79 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XDM .45 4.5
XDM 9mm Compact 3.8

Thoughts on CHL Carry - I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it!

Matto79

Post by Matto79 »

C-dub wrote:
gdanaher wrote:He is quietly working to create anti gun legislation? He actually legalized illegal aliens? Really?? Is there any evidence of this at all? If so, quote it. Do not use the off the chart internet 'newspapers'. Try something like the WSJ, or the actual written legislation that was introduced and given a number. The POTUS might in fact be opposed to assault weapons, and everyone gets an opinion. He has made no effort to initiate legislation, and in the next 4 years if he is around you can bet it is a non issue. Please take what the folks at the big lobby in DC have to say about this with a grain of salt. They are selling memberships which means bucks. If they can get people all worked up, their pockets are enriched.
Sarah Brady claims Obama pushing ‘under the radar’ gun control
Gun Rights Examiner ^ | 19 April, 2011 | David Codrea
Posted on Wed Apr 20 2011 06:54:32 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time) by marktwain

Anti-gun activist Sarah Brady claims President Barack Obama is committed to stealth gun control according to a report in The Washington Post.

Recounting a March 30 meeting between Brady, her husband Jim and White House Press secretary Jay Carney, The Post reports:

During the meeting, President Obama dropped in and, according to Sarah Brady, brought up the issue of gun control, “to fill us in that it was very much on his agenda,” she said.

“I just want you to know that we are working on it,” Brady recalled the president telling them. “We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar.”

Among the measures discussed:

[H]ow records get into the system and what can be done about firearms retailers. Her husband specifically brought up the proposed ban on large magazine clips…

While Brady reports the president “just laughed” she also expressed “absolute confidence that the president was committed to regulation.”

That Obama is coyly discussing “processes…under the radar” directly contradicts a campaign pledge further documented via an official White House memorandum:

My Administration is committed to creating an unprecedented level of openness in Government. We will work together to ensure the public trust and establish a system of transparency, public participation, and collaboration. Openness will strengthen our democracy and promote efficiency and effectiveness in Government.

There is nothing transparent, open or participatory about maneuvers to exercise control over unalienable rights. The entire purpose of being “under the radar” is to escape detection.

(Excerpt) Read more at examiner.com ...
We've also talked about it here. Just search (obama under radar) on our forum.

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=56208&p=697136&hil ... ar#p697136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We've also talked about his immigration policies.

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=55814&hilit=obama+ ... immigrants" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/ju ... immigrants" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also, don't quote examiner.com. That website is as unregulated at Wikipedia.
XDM .45 4.5
XDM 9mm Compact 3.8

Matto79

Post by Matto79 »

jimlongley wrote:
Matto79 wrote: . . . Partly due to the fact that be hasn't done anything to us (gun owners) yet. He hasn't enacted any new laws. All he's done is (and I know this next word will get jumped on) talk about greater enforcing the current gun laws we have. . . .
Well, that depends on how far back you go. He does have a track record of lying about his support for gun owners, which sure seems to be a large part of anything that he has done.

You also can know him by the company he keeps, what he says seems to me to be for political purposes and to placate the "powerful gun lobby" but those around him are most certainly anti-rights and have proved it many times.
So, how far back do you want to go? What did Illinois House Representative Obama, then US Senator Obama lie about regarding his support for gun owners? I'd like to know specifically when and what statement you are referring to so I can answer you properly.

And, with the idea of going back in time, regarding Mitt Romney, would you like to go to his 1994 Senate Campaign in which he publicly distanced himself from the NRA, or to July of 2004 when he signed the permanent assault weapons ban into law in Massachusetts? Then in 2006 he becomes a lifetime member of the NRA. Hmmm. I also see during his 2008 campaign he said if elected President, and the Assault Weapons Ban came to him, he would reaffirm it into law. That doesn't sound like something Wayne LaPierre and the NRA membership would appreciate. You can call it flip-flopping, or evolving of views, or whatever you want. But if your definition of lying is saying and doing one thing a while back, then changing your tune years later, then Mitt is a pretty heavily documented liar on this topic.
XDM .45 4.5
XDM 9mm Compact 3.8

Topic author
glockstero
Banned

Post by glockstero »

I can see why some of you who didn't take the time to learn about Obama fell for him in 2008 but after his complete failure on all objective fronts since becoming President it's beyond me why someone would vote for him a second time.

One day you will have to look into your kids or grandkids eyes and explain why they are growing up in a totally different world than you did and how YOU were partly responsible for it. I suggest you start formulating an excuse why you voted to re-elect a man who put 800,000 illegal aliens in front of them in the job search line just to be re-elected. Or why they have to learn more about tolerance a diversity in school instead of math and science. And how about why you helped re-elect a man who ran up our country's deficit more than all of the other presidents COMBINED in just 4 years.

Take the time to truly learn about Obama and who he really is and you would NEVER vote for the man.

And speaking of flip-flops here is just a partial list of Obama’s Broken Promises, Policy Reversals and Continuous Flip Flops

Running for President
The very first flip-flop that Obama committed since running for President is actually running for the office in 2008. Obama said in 2004 that he would not run for President in the next election. Based on what has happened in the last 3 years, this is one promise that most Americans would likely prefer he had kept.

Taxes & Spending
Adding Debt & Raising the Debt Ceiling
As a Senator, Obama opposed raising the debt ceiling, and said adding 4 trillion in was ”unpatriotic”. As President, he insisted the debt ceiling be raised and has added substantially more than 4 trillion to the debt.

Bush Tax Cuts
In 2008, Obama said that, as President, he would repeal the Bush tax cuts for the rich. In 2010, he extended those cuts.

Capital Gains Taxes
In 2008, Obama said that, as President, he would raise taxes on capital gains and dividends for higher-income taxpayers. He has not done so.

Raising Taxes
In 2008, Obama pledged that, ”no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes. My opponent can’t make that pledge.” However, he has raised taxes on tanning, cigarettes, and those who do not purchase health insurance (regardless of income).

Senior Income Tax
In 2008, Obama said that, as president, he would ”eliminate all income taxation of seniors making less than $50,000 per year”. He has not done so.

PAYGO
Shortlyafter entering office, Obama signed PAYGO legislation which demanded that all expenditures be paid for unless they are part of an emergency. Democrats in Congress started using the loophole to bypass the legislation almost immediately. Obama touted that a previous extension of unemployment benefits was fully paid for, but later blasted Republicans for not continuing to extend those benefits without paying for them.

Spending Freezes
In 2008, Obama derided spending freezes as ”using a hatchet where you need a scalpel” and ”unfair burden-sharing”. He said that, although it’s ”proposed periodically”, a spending freeze ”doesn’t happen”. In 2010, Obama announced support for a three-year federal spending freeze on discretionary spending not related to national security.

Earmarks
In 2008, Obama’s campaign said that, as President, he would reduce earmarks ”to less than $7.8 billion a year, the level they were at before 1994″. Earmarks for fiscal year 2010 were more than $15 billion.

Competitive Bidding on Earmarks
In 2008, Obama said that, as President, he would ”ensure that federal contracts over $25,000 are competitively bid”. He has not done so.

Tax Credits for Child Care
In 2008, Obama said that, as president, he would increase the tax credits for child care and dependent care, and make such credits refundable. He has not done so.

Killing NASA Program
“In August 2008, Senator Obama announced, as The Washington Post noted, “a detailed comprehensive space plan that includes $2 billion in new funding to reinvigorate NASA”.

But, as The Washington Post reported in March 2010, President Obama later shattered the dreams of the NASA community with a decision “to kill NASA’s Constellation program, crafted during the Bush administration with an ambitious goal of putting astronauts back on the moon by 2020.”

Foreign Policy
Iraq Timetable
Obama promised to end the war in Iraq and bring the all the troops home in 2009. He later changed his tune to say the withdrawal depends on conditions on the grounds and troops remained in Iraq past 2009.

Iraq Surge
Obama originally opposed the Iraq surge and claimed that extra troops would not do anything to quell sectarian violence. However, after the surge was clearly successful, Obama suggested that everyone knew the surge would decrease violence in Iraq.

Military Action without Congressional Approval
“President Obama has shown a striking lack of consistency with regard to the question of Congressional authorisation and the use of force. In a 2007 interview with The Boston Globe, then Senator Obama declared:

“The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation. In instances of self-defense, the President would be within his constitutional authority to act before advising Congress or seeking its consent. History has shown us time and again, however, that military action is most successful when it is authorized and supported by the Legislative branch. It is always preferable to have the informed consent of Congress prior to any military action.”

However, as President in March 2011, Barack Obama authorized military action against the Libyan regime without consulting Congress, a decision which drew heavy fire on Capitol Hill.”

Dropping Missile Defenses in Poland to appease Russia
“In his Prague speech in April 2009, President Obama pledged to move forward with the Bush-era plans for Third Site missile defences in Poland and the Czech Republic…

Just six months later however, the Obama administration surrendered to Russian demands, and dramatically dropped plans for Third Site.”

There has been speculation that Obama’s recent Hot-Mic comments to Russia’s president about flexibility after the election signal further concessions in this area.

Israel
While giving a speech in front of the Pro-Israel group AIPAC in 2008, Obama proclaimed that Jerusalem must remain the undivided capital of Israel. However, a few days later his advisers were clarifying that he no longer believes that and the division of Jerusalem is actually an issue to be addressed in negotiations.

Obama repeated the same strategy in 2012 when he promised to “have Israel’s back” on Iran in his 2012 AIPAC speech and backtracked a few days later.

Letting Sudan off the hook for the Darfur genocide
“In 2004, Senator Obama was a prominent supporter of a “humanitarian intervention” to halt state-sponsored mass killing in Darfur, declaring in a speech that ‘we cannot, in good conscience, stand by and let the genocide continue.’ He advocated tough UN sanctions against the brutal regime of Omar Hassan al-Bashir, which “should freeze the assets of the Sudanese government, its leaders and business affiliates; outlaw arms sales and transfers to Sudan; and prohibit the purchase of Chinese oil.”

However, as president, Obama dramatically changed his tune, extending the hand of friendship to Bashir, despite the fact the Sudanese government and its proxy Janjaweed Arab militias had butchered hundreds of thousands of people”.

Abandoning Mubarak in Egypt after calling him a “stalwart ally”
“Big picture foreign policy strategy has not been a forté of this administration, as demonstrated by its inconsistent policy on Egypt and the Middle East. In an interview with the BBC’s Justin Webb in June 2009, when asked if he viewed President Mubarak as an authoritarian ruler, President Obama declared:

No, I tend not to use labels for folks. I haven’t met him; I’ve spoken to him on the phone. He has been a stalwart ally, in many respects, to the United States. He has sustained peace with Israel, which is a very difficult thing to do in that region, but he has never resorted to unnecessary demagoguing of the issue and has tried to maintain that relationship. So I think he has been a force for stability and good in the region.

20 months later, the White House emphatically called for Mubarak to go”.

Cuba Embargo
Obama opposed the embargo in 2004, but later supported it when speaking in front of a Cuban audience during his run for president. It is still in place today.

Recognizing Armenian Genocide
In 2008, Obama said he would recognize the Armenian Genocide once he is president. He has not done so.

Meeting with Iran Without Preconditions
Obama tried to distance himself from the position that he would meet with Iran without preconditions during the 2008 campaign by claiming there would be “preparations”, before returning to his original position.

Iran Threat
Obama has never had a consistent position on Iran, but one particular shift over a two day period in 2008 is the greatest example of Obama’s waffling on the issue. On one day Obama suggested that Iran does not “pose a serious threat to us”, but the very next day he was describing Iran as a “grave threat”.

Designating Revolutionary Guard as a Terrorist Group
In September 2007, Obama voted against the Kyl-Lieberman bill which would designate the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps as a terrorist organization. Obama attacked Hillary Clinton for voting for the bill, but later claimed that he supported labeling the Iran Revolutionary Guard Corps a terrorist organization. Obama explained his vote against the bill using a variety of different reasons at different times.

NAFTA
During the 2008 campaign Obama was very critical of NAFTA, but later referred to his own rhetoric as “overheated and amplified.”

Meeting with Chavez
While running for office, Obama stated that he would meet with Hugo Chavez and discuss his support for FARC on one day and then said governments supporting FARC should be isolated the next.

Annual “State of the World” Address
In 2008, Obama said that, as president, he would ”give an annual State of the World address to the American people in which I lay out our national security policy”. He has never given any such address.

Promised to Improve America’s Image
A key foreign policy theme of the Obama presidential election campaign was the notion that President Bush had damaged America’s image on the world stage, with his supposedly ‘cowboy’ policies. In the words of a campaign document, “Barack Obama and Joe Biden will restore America’s standing in the world by providing a new American leadership to meet the challenges of a new century”.

As President, however, Obama has done exactly the opposite, insulting key allies such as Great Britain, Israel and Poland, projecting weak leadership, and undermining the standing of the United States as the world’s only superpower. As I’ve noted before:

“No American president in modern times has invested less effort in maintaining US alliances than Barack Obama. Whether it is siding with Marxists in Honduras against pro-American forces, condemning Israel, throwing the Poles and Czechs under the bus, or trashing the Anglo-American Special Relationship, the Obama administration has gone out of its way to kick its allies in the teeth while kowtowing to America’s enemies. For a president who boasted in his election campaign of restoring America’s “standing” in the world, Obama has done a spectacularly bad job of preserving friendships with Washington’s closest friends.”

Energy
Gas Prices
Obama, along with many other leading Democrats, blamed George W. Bush for high gas prices when he was President. Yet now that prices have reached near record highs under his administration, Obama is claiming that he has no control of those prices. Furthermore, Obama has previously said he supports a gradual shift to higher gas prices, but now laughs off the claim that he is rooting for higher prices to reduce dependency.

Cap and Trade
In 2008, Obama said that, as president, he would “set a hard cap on all carbon emissions at a level that scientists say is necessary to curb global warming – an 80% reduction by 2050″. No cap and trade legislation has been passed.

Selling Oil from Strategic Reserve
In July 2007, Obama rejected selling oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, which he said should be “reserved for a genuine emergency.” A month later, Obama said, “We should sell 70 million barrels of oil from our Strategic Petroleum Reserve for less expensive crude, which in the past has lowered gas prices within two weeks”, even though gas prices were higher in July 2007 than in August 2007.

Keystone XL
Obama touted the possibility of a pipeline during his 2008 campaign, but rejected rapid approval of the Keystone XL pipeline this year.

Nuclear Power
Obama told a group of Democratic Governors in June of 2008 that he was open to expanding nuclear power after having previously opposed it.

Immigration & Healthcare
Immigration Reform
In 2008, Obama said that, as President, he would introduce comprehensive immigration reform legislation in his first year. He did not. He has now made the same promise for the first year of his second term.

Health Care Mandate
Obama was against the individual mandate before it became a central part of his signature legislation.

Single Payer Health Care
In 2003, as an Illinois state senator, Obama said, ”I happen to be a proponent of a single-payer universal health care program.” In 2009, Obama said, ”I have not said that I was a single-payer supporter.”

Keeping Your Insurance
Leading up to the passage of Obamacare, Obama promised Americans that they would be able to keep their current insurance plan if they like it. Further analysis by the CBO has revealed that Obamacare would cause many seniors to have their Medicare Advantage coverage cut in half and millions to be dropped from their employer-provided insurance.

Cost of Obamacare
Obama promised that he would “not sign [a healthcare bill] if it adds one dime to the deficit, now or in the future, period.” Yet, a new analysis determines that his bill will add quite a bit to future deficits.

Insuring All Americans
Obama outlined three goals for his health care legislation. Lowering the cost curve and insuring all Americans were two of the three. It has now been determined that Obamacare will add to the deficit and 25 million Americans will remain uninsured.

Reconciliation
In 2010, Obama signed into law health care reform that was passed via reconciliation, contrary to his 2007 insistence that health care reform should not be passed by a bare ”50 plus one majority”, and his 2005 rejection of the ‘nuclear option’ in the Senate.

Televising Healthcare Negotiations
In 2008, Obama said, when it came to crafting health care reform, ”we’ll have the negotiations televised on C-SPAN.” Many crucial negotiations pertaining to health care reform were not televised.

Taxing Health Benefits
In 2008, Obama criticized his presidential opponent, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ), saying, ”for the first time in American history, he wants to tax your health benefits.” In 2010, Obama signed into law health care reform legislation that puts a 40% tax on some health insurance policies.

Importing Cheaper Drugs
In 2008, Obama said that, as President, his health care reform would allow Americans to import cheaper prescription drugs. The health care reform he signed into law does not allow this.

Cracking Down on Employers of Illegal Immigrants
Obama opposed cracking down on employers of illegal immigrants before running for President, but supported it during his run.

Defense
Closing Guantanamo
In 2008, Obama’s campaign said that, as president, he would ”close the detention facility at Guantanamo.” And, in January 2009, Obama signed an executive order calling for the Guantanamo Bay facility to be closed. It remains open.

Military tribunals for terror suspects
In the 2008 campaign, Obama said that, as president, he would end the use of military commissions with respect to terrorism suspects and detainees. However, they are still in use.

Rendition of Terror Suspects
“In a 2007 Foreign Affairs article, Senator Obama gave a strong indication that he would end the Bush administration practice of rendition of terror suspects:

“To build a better, freer world, we must first behave in ways that reflect the decency and aspirations of the American people… This means ending the practices of shipping away prisoners in the dead of night to be tortured in far-off countries, of detaining thousands without charge or trial, of maintaining a network of secret prisons to jail people beyond the reach of the law.”

But, as The New York Times reported in August 2009, the Obama administration’s Interrogation and Transfer Task Force announced that it would retain renditions, but with what The Times referred to as “more oversight.’”

Photos of Detainee Abuse
In April 2009, the Obama administration said it planned to release photos depicting abuse of detainees being held by the U.S. overseas. The administration then reversed its decision, and said it would resist court rulings demanding the release of such photos.

Patriot Act
Obama said he would repeal the Patriot Act in a 2003 questionnaire, but later voted to renew it in the Senate.

FISA
In 2007, Obama pleased liberal advocates by promising to filibuster any bill that gave amnesty to telecommunication companies that were assisting authorities with wiretapping activities. Obama voted for a bill that did just that in July of 2008.

Killing Osama Bin Laden
Obama highlighted the importance of killing Osama Bin Laden while running for president and after OBL was killed in Pakistan, but made the claim that it was no longer “essential” when he first got into office.

Other
Public Financing
Obama promised to seek public financing for his presidential campaign in 2008, but ended up rejecting public financing.

2008 Debates
In May 2008, Obama said he would meet McCain ”anywhere, anytime to have a debate about our respective policies in Iraq, Iran, the Middle East or around the world”. But he rejected town hall debates proposed by the McCain campaign.

Voting Along Party Lines
In 2010, Obama decried Senate candidate Scott Brown’s (R-MA) record of voting with Republicans 96% of the time, saying it showed Brown was not ”independent.” When he himself was in the Senate, Obama voted with Democrats 96% of the time.

Minimum Wage
In 2008, Obama said that, as president, he would raise the minimum wage to $9.50 an hour, up from the current $7.25 an hour. It has not been raised.

Civility
“After the shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) and several others (six people were killed), Obama said, ”at a time when we are far too eager to lay the blame for all that ails the world at the feet of those who happen to think differently than we do — it’s important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we’re talking with each other in a way that heals, not in a way that wounds”. Yet Obama has frequently described Republicans as Social Darwinists. He has said that the difference between Democrats and Republicans is that Democrats ”have a sense of neighborliness and a sense of community, and we are willing to look out for one another and help people who are vulnerable and help people who are down on their luck”.

In his book, “The Audacity of Hope”, Obama lamented the description of abortion opponents as”right-wing ideologues who want to take away a woman’s right to choose”. Obama said the”standard boilerplate” rhetoric had been written — not by himself — but by someone on his U.S. Senate campaign staff, and he had the ”offending words” removed from his website. In recent months, however, Obama has described Republican opponents of abortion as seeking to ”turn back the clock”, ”prevent millions of women from getting basic health care that they desperately need”, and ”stirring up fights over a woman’s right to make her own health care choices”.

Despite advocating civility and civil debate, Obama has appointed Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-FL) to chair the DNC, even though she has frequently resorted to name-calling (e.g., here, here,here, here, and here). Rather than chastising her for her incivility, Obama has praised her.

After James “Jimmy” Hoffa, Jr., launched this invective at the Tea Party – ”President Obama, this is your army. We are ready to march. Let’s take these son of a bitches out and give America back to an America where we belong” – during an event at which Obama was about to speak, the Obama administration refused to denounce Hoffa’s offensive (and violent) rhetoric, saying they would not act as the ”speech police”. Days later, Obama’s presidential campaign launched AttackWatch.com, a website dedicated to policing the speech of Republicans and denouncing them when they say unfair things about Obama.”

Questioning Patriotism
“In 2008, Obama said, ”I will never question the patriotism of others in this campaign. And I will not stand idly by when I hear others question mine. [...] Patriotism can never be defined as loyalty to any particular leader, or government, or policy.” However, in that same year, he called the Bush administration’s decision to raise the debt ceiling ”unpatriotic”. [Obama] has accused Republicans of putting party before country, and he has stood idly by as others in his party — e.g., Rep. Linda Sanchez (D-CA) — have said Republicans are ”not patriotic.’”

Presidential Commissions
In 2008, Obama derided presidential commissions as ”Washington-speak” for ”we’ll get back to you later.” In 2010, he appointed the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform to look for solutions to the debt crisis. The commission did not have the votes to submit their plan to Congress, and Obama has not championed their proposals.

Furthermore, in 2008, Obama said that, as president, he would create a national commission to look at whether programs such as Social Security Disability Insurance, Supplementary Security Income, Medicare and Medicaid create an incentive for people to not work. He has yet to do so.

Public Posting of Bills Before Passage
In 2008, Obama’s campaign said that, as president, he would ”not sign any nonemergency bill without giving the American public an opportunity to review and comment on the White House Web site for five days”. He has since signed non-emergency bills without the five-day public review period.

White House Fleet
In 2008, Obama said that, as president, he would convert the White House fleet of cars to plug-in hybrid and electric vehicles. He has not done so.

Gay Marriage
Obama’s position on this issue is constantly changing. President Obama openly opposed gay marriage during the 2008 election. Obama also supported states deciding the issue at that point. However, later on Obama opposed California’s ban on gay marriage and has said his views on the issue are “evolving.”

Super PACs
Obama opposed use and coordination of Super PAC’s following the Citizens United decisions, but recently changed course and signaled approval of Super PAC’s that are supporting his re-election effort.

D.C. Handgun Ban
Obama supported the D.C. hand gun ban before agreeing with the Supreme Court decision that it “went beyond constitutional limits.”

School Voucher Program
Barack Obama suggested he would support a D.C. voucher program before opposing it and eventually cutting funding to it.

Decriminalizing Marijuana
Obama told students in 2004 he supported decriminalizing marijuana usage, but opposed it during his run for president. He has yet to take significant steps to decriminalize marijuana as President.

Union Support
“In January [2008], the Obama campaign described union contributions to the campaigns of Clinton and John Edwards as ‘special interest’ money. Obama changed his tune as he began gathering his own union endorsements. Since gaining his own union support, Obama refers respectfully to unions as the representatives of ‘working people’ and says he is ‘thrilled’ by their support.”

Abortion
Obama disagreed with the Supreme Court decision upholding a ban on partial birth abortion and had a 100% NARAL rating in 2006, 2007 and 2008, but while being interviewed by a Christian magazine Obama said that “mental distress” should not count as a “health of the mother” exception to a ban.

Wearing a U.S. Flag Pin
Obama refused to wear a flag pin during the 2008 primaries because he considered them a substitute for “true patriotism”, but he started wearing it again once the primaries were over.

Welfare Reform
Obama called Bill Clinton’s 1996 Welfare Reform legislation “disturbing” at the time it was passed, but he celebrated the reforms and what they resulted in once running for president.

Jeremiah Wright
When videos of the controversial remarks of Obama’s long time pastor and mentor, Reverand Jeremiah Wright, first appeared, the President said he can no more disown Wright than his white grandmother. Once it became even clearer that Wright was an extreme individual, Obama did disown and disassociate himself from Wright.

Accepting Donations from Lobbyists
Obama had a campaign pledge to not accept political contributions from lobbyists, yet Obama accepted money from registered airline lobbyist Ron Klein.

No Lobbyists
President Obama promised and made a campaign issue of not have a revolving door of lobbyists joining and leaving his administration, but has consistently violated this pledge by providing waivers to circumvent this promise.

PolitiFact has a few more broken promises here.

All of the statements above have been fact-checked, but I need to give credit to several sites for being the source of many of the points on this list: Audacity of Hypocrisy, Telegraph, Director Blue, Yahoo Voices

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dragonfighter »

glockstero wrote:I can see why some of you who didn't take the time to learn about Obama fell for him in 2008 but after his complete failure on all objective fronts since becoming President it's beyond me why someone would vote for him a second time. <SNIP>
Went for the nuclear option I see. :mrgreen:
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Dragonfighter wrote:
glockstero wrote:I can see why some of you who didn't take the time to learn about Obama fell for him in 2008 but after his complete failure on all objective fronts since becoming President it's beyond me why someone would vote for him a second time. <SNIP>
Went for the nuclear option I see. :mrgreen:
Nuking from orbit is the only way to be sure.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Matto79 wrote:
jimlongley wrote:

So, how far back do you want to go? What did Illinois House Representative Obama, then US Senator Obama lie about regarding his support for gun owners? I'd like to know specifically when and what statement you are referring to so I can answer you properly.
When was he ever an "Illinois House Representative"? Don't you think you should have your facts straight before you make this sort of argument? Bambam stood in front of a meeting of members of the Illinois State Rifle Association and lied about his support for gun owners back when he was running for Illinois State Senate, making him for once, and for all, a liar. Everything after that is equally suspect.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Slowplay
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Slowplay »

Matto79 wrote:Moreover, try searching the forum for comments regarding condemnation or punishment or hatred of James Holmes and Wade Michael Page. You won't find any, at least I didn't. That's a problem. Its people like these two sick and deranged men, who actually bought hand guns and an AR15 legally and proceeded to go on shooting rampages, that have caused us gun owners to have this discussion right now. These killers screwed us! They bought their guns the same way we did, except where we are responsible and hopefully good Christian people, these men are/were evil with like intentions of doing harm. You wan't to be mad at a President who hasn't messed with our gun rights? Fine.
Would judgment and hatred of people be something that good Christian people do? Or, would be appropriate to rely on a (hopefully) effective criminal justice system?

Responsible folks want to be in a position to defend themselves against evil. Apparently, you're okay if certain rights are diminished because 'you already got yours.'
Matto79 wrote:I do wish Mitt would release those tax returns though. I personally would like to know his worth, and what made in salary dating back to the early Bain days. Hiding his taxes only adds fuel to the fire. If he has nothing to hide, just release them. Nearly every president and candidate has before him, including his Dad.
Why do you care what his "worth" is or what he made in salary? Besides regurgitating the dems talking points, what difference does it make? Do you believe he's a criminal and/or he didn't earn it? Should all that money be redistributed to favored voting blocks and appropriated for payback to big donors/bundlers? Unbelievable... :banghead: Sure, Romney should release all those years of his tax returns (btw, not legally required) when Obama releases his full college records - transparency for all!
NRA Benefactor Member
"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance..."
- John Philpot Curran

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

Matto, "This will sound ignorant, but oh well. I already have one. Got the only one I want/need. If he's successful, I guess I bought mine in time. (Sorry for how ignorant that sounds, really)"

I agree with you Mato, it does not only sound ignorant it is ignorance in its purest sense and that is exactly what is wrong with this country and the liberal way of thinking. It is all about you I see, you have yours so who cares about anybody else or future generations.

You are more than welcome to use Romney and the AWB that he signed, it would have been passed and become law either way because the Dem's in Mass would have easily overridden his veto and he knew that, sometimes politicians pick their battles. Personally I wish he had vetoed the bill as it now has come back to haunt him a bit, still in my opinion I will take Romney over Obama anyday, at least he has some experience for the job he is seeking versus Obama's on the job training program that he has failed at.........
Salty1

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I think the current administration's hand in Fast and Furious is nefarious enough to be righteously concerned. Holder is falling on his sword to keep the blowback off of Obama.

Comments to a San Francisco crowd about bitter people clinging to their guns and religion.

Behind the scenes discussions with the Brady Bunch regarding work towards gun control.

And now, between the Wisconsin and Colorado shootings, we are starting to see bills proposing the restriction of guns. As of today, those would only be kept in check by the House IMO. If they were to reach Obama's desk, he'd sign them in a heartbeat otherwise he'd completely annihilate his base.

Many fears about his gun control agend have not materialized because there hasn't been the proper environment for them to incubate.

These days, who do I think would be more likely to sign bills restricting guns or ammunition? Obama. Though he won't push for them actively like he has the Affordable care act or jobs bills, that doesn't mean he wouldn't sign them with a big flouish and all of the gun grabbers applauding wildly behind him.

Romney, the slimy politician that he himself is, has a different base to be beholden to than he did in Massachusetts. He is a politician, not an idealogue.
Psalm 91:2

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”