San Antonio Ranges and CHL Class

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1


Topic author
Amonix
Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:01 am

San Antonio Ranges and CHL Class

#1

Post by Amonix » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:56 pm

My Wife bought her first gun this last weekend. She has finally agreed that it is time to go get her CHL. Besides the fact that I am super excited I am still new to San Antonio and we haven't found a good range here to shoot at. Can any of our San Antonio friends point us to a good place for her to practice and maybe a good CHL instructor we can go to. We only really go shooting in El Paso or Houston when we visit family. Thanks all in advanced.
Amonix
CompTIA A+ Certified Professionaln
CIW Certified Web Foundations Associate
[Changing the world one byte at a time]

User avatar

jmorris
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:41 pm
Location: Cibolo
Contact:

Re: San Antonio Ranges and CHL Class

#2

Post by jmorris » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:58 pm

Which part of SA? There are ranges are on every side.
Jay E Morris, Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC, Cibolo, Tx
NRA Lifetime
TSRA Lifetime (as of my Jan 2019 official old fart birthday)
NRA Recruiter (link)


FCH
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:17 pm
Location: South Central Texas

Re: San Antonio Ranges and CHL Class

#3

Post by FCH » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:42 am

We like Lone Star Handgun. They have a Converse address and are located are the far south-east side. My wife and I both took our LTC classes there.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

User avatar

TexasFlash
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 291
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: San Antonio Ranges and CHL Class

#4

Post by TexasFlash » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:55 am

A Place to Shoot
South part of town; I like it because the targets are on cables so you can vary the distance you shoot; out to about 75 feet max.
Also, bullethole on the northwest side gets some of my business, and is where my wife and I got our CHL's. I've also shot at Bracken range but they are cash only and charge per gun, which can get expensive. There's a few more, but these are the only ones I have personal experience with.
Welcome to SA shooting!
Dave :txflag:

User avatar

Javier730
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1265
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:29 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: San Antonio Ranges and CHL Class

#5

Post by Javier730 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:43 am

I no longer go to A Place To Shoot because of the people that tend to go there. Every time I go there I see gangster looking people using f bombs like every other word. The range safety officer is constantly having to correct people there. The last time I went, the RSO had to yell at some woman that was there because after firing a few rounds, she turned and posed for the camera. She actually faced her loaded pistol at the camera then faced it down at an angle about a foot from her face. The RSO yelled at her never to have her firearm pointing anywhere but down range. They were not kicked out. Of all the ranges I've gone to, that one seems to attract the most shady looking people.

I will not put myself or anyone I take to the range in danger by visiting A Place To Shoot. Ever since taking my CHL, I have been going to BlackHawk.
Last edited by Javier730 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

User avatar

jmorris
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:41 pm
Location: Cibolo
Contact:

Re: San Antonio Ranges and CHL Class

#6

Post by jmorris » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:52 am

I like Bexar Community east of town off Trainer-Hale road. It's a very basic range with some overhead cover and steel tables. There are no set targets. You pick up your B27 (or 2 or 3 or....many as you like) at the counter, put the target holder(s) where you want, and proceed to shoot. There is no RSO, we all just act like adults. I've been there dozens of times and there's never been a problem. Two big advantages to me is that I can shoot my black powder pistols (many ranges don't allow it) and I can practice with my personal defense shotgun.

Now if they just had an instructor range I could reserve it'd be perfect.

Oh yes, it's $9 for one target, as many guns as you want, and as long as you want.
Jay E Morris, Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC, Cibolo, Tx
NRA Lifetime
TSRA Lifetime (as of my Jan 2019 official old fart birthday)
NRA Recruiter (link)


Topic author
Amonix
Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:01 am

Re: San Antonio Ranges and CHL Class

#7

Post by Amonix » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:38 pm

Awesome replies. We live next to the National Shooting Complex but my understanding from their site is it is not much of a place to go shooting to practice / range shoot. Also is there any community events with us from the forums for like a meet and greet? If not maybe we can meet up Monthly for a range day. :-)
Amonix
CompTIA A+ Certified Professionaln
CIW Certified Web Foundations Associate
[Changing the world one byte at a time]

User avatar

WinoVeritas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:38 pm
Location: South Central Texas

Re: San Antonio Ranges and CHL Class

#8

Post by WinoVeritas » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:13 am

Took my CHL some years back. Instructor used Bass Pro facility and indoor range. I live 6 mi. from Bracken range and will not go there, too restrictive and claustrophobic. Bullet Hole, Place to Shoot basically same. Nardis Gun Club a bit too rich for my blood. Haven't been to Lone Star's new range, but have heard good things about it. I took a defensive / shooting course and instructor used Blackhawk in Atascosa. Been going there ever since even though a 75 mile round trip and I pass near several of the ranges on the way there. Nice people; reasonable price and week days never crowded.


Topic author
Amonix
Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:01 am

Re: San Antonio Ranges and CHL Class

#9

Post by Amonix » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:24 pm

These are awesome. I am thinking of trying Lonstar Handgun. It's going to be a drive but the pictures make it look like a pretty good place. Plus the suggestion is nice. We are going this Saturday to get the wife her fingerprints done and then time to go practice. Thank you all for your help. I may have to check out Blackhawk and Bullet Hole next though. Can never have too much range time. Gotta get the AR ready for range time too.
Amonix
CompTIA A+ Certified Professionaln
CIW Certified Web Foundations Associate
[Changing the world one byte at a time]

User avatar

longhorn86
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:49 pm
Location: Schertz, TX

Re: San Antonio Ranges and CHL Class

#10

Post by longhorn86 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:00 pm

Amonix wrote:These are awesome. I am thinking of trying Lonstar Handgun. It's going to be a drive but the pictures make it look like a pretty good place. Plus the suggestion is nice. We are going this Saturday to get the wife her fingerprints done and then time to go practice. Thank you all for your help. I may have to check out Blackhawk and Bullet Hole next though. Can never have too much range time. Gotta get the AR ready for range time too.
Lonestar is a good range. Good people and I took my CHL class with them before they opened their range. It's all steel targets and they encourage you to pick up your brass if you want. It was my go to place until I joined McQueeny Gun Club because I am done with sweating while shooting in the summertime!
NRA Life Member


FCH
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:17 pm
Location: South Central Texas

Re: San Antonio Ranges and CHL Class

#11

Post by FCH » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:28 pm

longhorn86 wrote:... It's all steel targets ...
LoneStar does have paper target in their private bays for an additional charge.
NRA Member
TSRA Member


Topic author
Amonix
Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:01 am

Re: San Antonio Ranges and CHL Class

#12

Post by Amonix » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:01 pm

longhorn86 wrote:
Amonix wrote:These are awesome. I am thinking of trying Lonstar Handgun. It's going to be a drive but the pictures make it look like a pretty good place. Plus the suggestion is nice. We are going this Saturday to get the wife her fingerprints done and then time to go practice. Thank you all for your help. I may have to check out Blackhawk and Bullet Hole next though. Can never have too much range time. Gotta get the AR ready for range time too.
Lonestar is a good range. Good people and I took my CHL class with them before they opened their range. It's all steel targets and they encourage you to pick up your brass if you want. It was my go to place until I joined McQueeny Gun Club because I am done with sweating while shooting in the summertime!
So I was looking at McQueeny tonight since it is an indoor range. Wow it is an hour away. Hmm. Looks nice though.
Amonix
CompTIA A+ Certified Professionaln
CIW Certified Web Foundations Associate
[Changing the world one byte at a time]

User avatar

longhorn86
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:49 pm
Location: Schertz, TX

Re: San Antonio Ranges and CHL Class

#13

Post by longhorn86 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:07 am

Amonix wrote:
longhorn86 wrote:
Amonix wrote:These are awesome. I am thinking of trying Lonstar Handgun. It's going to be a drive but the pictures make it look like a pretty good place. Plus the suggestion is nice. We are going this Saturday to get the wife her fingerprints done and then time to go practice. Thank you all for your help. I may have to check out Blackhawk and Bullet Hole next though. Can never have too much range time. Gotta get the AR ready for range time too.
Lonestar is a good range. Good people and I took my CHL class with them before they opened their range. It's all steel targets and they encourage you to pick up your brass if you want. It was my go to place until I joined McQueeny Gun Club because I am done with sweating while shooting in the summertime!
So I was looking at McQueeny tonight since it is an indoor range. Wow it is an hour away. Hmm. Looks nice though.

It is a bit of a drive, even for me (about 25 minutes). Well worth it, top notch facility.
NRA Life Member

User avatar

JALLEN
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3081
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 4:11 pm
Location: Comal County

Re: San Antonio Ranges and CHL Class

#14

Post by JALLEN » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:34 pm

McQueeney is very nice, modern, clean etc.

Is there an indoor range 50 yards or more in San Antonio area?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.


Soap
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:57 pm

Re: San Antonio Ranges and CHL Class

#15

Post by Soap » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:26 am

jmorris wrote:I like Bexar Community east of town off Trainer-Hale road. It's a very basic range with some overhead cover and steel tables. There are no set targets. You pick up your B27 (or 2 or 3 or....many as you like) at the counter, put the target holder(s) where you want, and proceed to shoot. There is no RSO, we all just act like adults. I've been there dozens of times and there's never been a problem. Two big advantages to me is that I can shoot my black powder pistols (many ranges don't allow it) and I can practice with my personal defense shotgun.

Now if they just had an instructor range I could reserve it'd be perfect.

Oh yes, it's $9 for one target, as many guns as you want, and as long as you want.
So I guess you have to get everyone to stop shooting to put a target up?

Post Reply

Return to “Shooting Ranges”