TX: Harris County judge indicted by Feds

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: TX: Harris County judge indicted by Feds

Post by The Annoyed Man »

flechero wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:10 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:33 am "...a gun appeared. A shot was fired..."

Ima gonna use that defense if I’m ever indicted in a self defense shooting. I love legal precedence. Don’t you guys?
I chuckled when I read that and also thought wouldn't the prosecutor just follow up with asking who's gun it was and how it appeared? (to completely dismantle the innocence of it.)
I’m frequently surprised when attorneys aren’t disbarred for such patently false/ridiculous statements. Perhaps the State Bar is amused by such bald-faced intellectual dishonesty. Sadly, that would call into question the Bar's legitimacy.....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OneGun »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:43 pm So how much time was served? I need to know, because it may impact my decision to commit embezzlement. :mrgreen:
She served 36 days. From Law360.com
Smoots-Thomas appeared before the judge on Thursday wearing an orange jumpsuit, having served 36 days incarcerated since her arrest in August on a separate charge of firing a gun during an argument with her husband's girlfriend. She was taken into federal custody following the assault arrest, because possessing a weapon was a violation of the conditions of her bond in the federal case. Thursday's sentencing was only for the federal wire fraud charge, and the assault charge is being adjudicated in state district court.

Under federal sentencing guidelines for wire fraud, Smoots-Thomas could have served between 18 and 24 months in prison, and Assistant U.S. Attorney Ralph Edward Imperato told U.S. District Judge Lynn Hughes that the government believed a sentence within that range was appropriate but declined to suggest a specific sentence.

Read more at: https://www.law360.com/articles/1311208 ... e?copied=1
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ELB »

So she didn’t serve any time in jail for the fraud, it was for shooting off the gun.

This smells.
USAF 1982-2005

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AJSully421 »

Democrats should be disenfranchised. Look who they vote for and support! This is madness.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Return to “The Crime Blotter”