McAllen: U.S. Customs agent arrested after bar shooting

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 7

McAllen: U.S. Customs agent arrested after bar shooting

Post by seamusTX »

http://www.kwtx.com/news/headlines/1003 ... ml?ref=574" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://blogs.star-telegram.com/crime_ti ... t-bar.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 5AFG1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Genius. :banghead:

- Jim

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 4

Re: McAllen: U.S. Customs agent arrested after bar shooting

Post by baldeagle »

The AP article adds some interesting detail that is missing from the other two.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Well, now we get to line up and take sides on who may have been justified, the bar owner who is legally allowed to pack to maintain order in his establishment, or the "customer" who got into an "altercation" in a bar.

- Jim

jester
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jester »

The part that seems undisputed is he went to his truck and instead of leaving, he grabbed a gun and escalated the altercation.
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I don't suppose testosterone was involved.

- Jim

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

seamusTX wrote:Well, now we get to line up and take sides on who may have been justified, the bar owner who is legally allowed to pack to maintain order in his establishment, or the "customer" who got into an "altercation" in a bar.

- Jim
Well, I think the customs agent was clearly in the wrong. However, he may get away with it because the owner pointed a gun at him (according to him.) He at least has a plausible argument (possibly) that he was defending himself. If I were the DA, I would try the guy and let a jury decide if his escalation led to the death, which would make him guilty of manslaughter, I would think.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Alcohol and gunpowder can produce a potion most vile. Of course, being born with less than a full deck doesn't help matters either.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

baldeagle wrote: He at least has a plausible argument (possibly) that he was defending himself. If I were the DA, I would try the guy and let a jury decide if his escalation led to the death, which would make him guilty of manslaughter, I would think.
Plausible defense? How so? He was thrown out and his life was in no danger. All he had to do was leave. He came back with a gun. That's not self-defense. If you or I did that we'd go to prison.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

As usual all we have is initial media reports. The AP story makes the situation more complicated then it originally seemed. Note that none of the stories says the office went to his truck, got his gun and went back into the bar, but rather that the fight continued outside after he was ejected and the bar owner came outside. More information is needed. Just out of curiosity does the bar owner still have the right to carry a weopan once he is outside the bar? This may depend if he was still on premises he owned (which again we dont know).

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

The licensed premises of a bar often include the parking lot.

Whether the bar owner was legally entitled to carry on the exact square foot of ground he was standing on is irrelevant. It would be a misdemeanor if he were in the wrong.

Maybe the open carry advocates can explain how someone who "sees a gun" is entitled to shoot the person with the gun. That could get messy if it were a widespread practice.

- Jim

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

seamusTX wrote:The licensed premises of a bar often include the parking lot.

Whether the bar owner was legally entitled to carry on the exact square foot of ground he was standing on is irrelevant. It would be a misdemeanor if he were in the wrong.

Maybe the open carry advocates can explain how someone who "sees a gun" is entitled to shoot the person with the gun. That could get messy if it were a widespread practice.

- Jim
Well, logic would dictate that “seeing a gun” in a holster would not be justification to shoot. If the gun is in the persons hand pointed at the ground that would still not be justification to shoot. Raising the gun in your direction or pointing it at you would be justification to shoot.

Just my opinion. And I am not an open carry advocate.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Raising the gun in your direction or pointing it at you would be justification to shoot.
I agree that self-defense would be justified in response to an unprovoked act. However, in this case, it seems that the aforementioned customs agent "asked for it" by being confrontational in the bar and then "taking it outside."

- Jim

i8godzilla
Posts in topic: 2

Post by i8godzilla »

More information in the story:

http://www.krgv.com/news/local/story/Mo ... fNOEg.cspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do not think it looks very good for Jose Elizondo (the customs officer).
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

seamusTX wrote:I don't suppose testosterone was involved. - Jim
IMO, this is the main reason for existence of the 51% Sign.
This can be represented by the algebraic expressions:
Testosterone + Ethanol = Trouble
Testosterone + Ethanol + Guns = Big Trouble
NRA Endowment Member

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

I want to be clear. I do not think what the customs agent did was right. In fact, I think he is the reason the bar owner is dead (not for the obvious reason that he's the one who shot him but because he may have precipitated the incident and pushed it to the point that the bar owner's death occurred.) I was just speculating that he may have a legal window to slip through that will keep him from being convicted. I think his case will come down to the jury and what they think of him and his actions. If he was in the middle of the fight, that's different than if he was trying to separate his brother from the others. The articles don't say, so that testimony will be critical to the outcome.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”