Jump in crime in Houston

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
cubbyjg
Posts in topic: 2

Jump in crime in Houston

Post by cubbyjg »

This new is probably not new for many of us unfortunately that live in the suburbs of Houston. Be safe out there, stay alert and armed. :txflag:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met ... 99558.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hook'em Horns!
Class of 2007

“I am actually for gun control. Use both hands." - Gov. Rick Perry

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Jump in crime in Houston

Post by Oldgringo »

It's Bush's fault. :smilelol5:

Capt Roy

Post by Capt Roy »

I think hard times contribute to this..
Capt Roy
"If it doesn't work, read the instructions. If it still doesn't work, follow them!"
CHL Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor and Range Safety Officer

Grammy

Post by Grammy »

Oldgringo wrote:It's Bush's fault. :smilelol5:
It has to be, what else could it be... :biggrinjester:
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always depend on the support of Paul.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Moved this to the new forum "Crime Blotter".
Couple O jokes are OK but lets get it back on topic please. :tiphat:
LT
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 3

Post by OldCannon »

Capt Roy wrote:I think hard times contribute to this..
Recent trends say otherwise: http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/325361
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Cobra Medic

Post by Cobra Medic »

Poor breeding is more to blame than poor economy.
This will only hurt a little. What comes next, more so.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

One of the more interesting comments from the article was that about arresting one person and solving a crime wave. Several other statistics would be interesting to see:
- unsolved crime rate - does it vary with the increase or is it a large part of the increase?
- of those who are apprehended, how many are long history recidivists? It appears that, in the Dallas area that I know about, revolving door justice is in full swing and there is little consequence for many who are caught. It would be even more disconcerting to understand that there is a whole new group of criminals being created. I do understand that desperation in hard times may drive some to attempt property crimes but the corresponding increase in violent crimes probably has a different origin.

This is very interesting in light of the saturation of the Texas CHLs in many of the same areas. I read somewhere recently that 3 out of 5 BGs were more afraid of armed citizens than they are the police. Apparently the number of armed citizens in the area is not yet high enough to be a deterrent. We need to fix that.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

shootthesheet

Post by shootthesheet »

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/201 ... _nopd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I was looking for something that would show similar statistics in the Dallas area suburbs. I didn't find what I wanted but I did find this.

http://www.crimereports.com/map/index/? ... omlevel=14

One of the areas where there was a trend counter to the National reduction was League City. I thought the map of that area was interesting.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Poor breeding is more to blame than poor economy.
... along with no/lacking moral and ethics education and role models, declining nuclear families per capita, and few opportunities to understand the concept of natural consequences to our actions (since legal consequences are too often little more than an inconvenience).

Russ
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

esxmarkc

Post by esxmarkc »

Given the demographics of the problem.... I believe the answer lies right here:
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/08/29/9 ... d-new.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By July 2009, New Orleans' population had rebounded to 354,850, or 78 percent of the pre-storm total. The metro area (1,189,981) has recovered 91 percent of its pre-Katrina level.
I'll give you one guess where all those people without well-rooted families, homes, and jobs ended up.

Hint:
Pearland, League City, Baytown, Texas City, Dickinson, La Marque, Katy, Richmond, Santa Fe, Liberty, Brazoria, Montgomery and Houston
Keeping the king of England out of your face since 12/05/2009

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 3

Post by OldCannon »

Really sad.

I lived in that area (on Knoll Forest Dr) for about 5 years when I was working at NASA from 90-94. Was a nice neighborhood. A shame that it's gone so bad now. My son told me he drove by that area a couple years ago and felt like he needed an armored van to get through there safely.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Topic author
cubbyjg

Post by cubbyjg »

I share similar feelings as well. I was born and raised in Pasadena and it was a great place. Never had any issues, and the people were great. Now when i go there, i hardly recognize it and i hear all the horror stories of how it has gotten bad. My friend teaches at our old high school and there are days where she is worried about getting hurt. Such a shame
Hook'em Horns!
Class of 2007

“I am actually for gun control. Use both hands." - Gov. Rick Perry

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

chasfm11 wrote:This is very interesting in light of the saturation of the Texas CHLs in many of the same areas. I read somewhere recently that 3 out of 5 BGs were more afraid of armed citizens than they are the police.
Care to find the source on that? I'm not doubting it (if I were a BG, I'd be more scared of armed victims... they're already on the scene, and they're not bound by PD policies & regulations), but it'd be nice to be able to tell people where they can find the stats themselves if they don't believe me.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”