TX: Harris County judge indicted by Feds

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 4

TX: Harris County judge indicted by Feds

Post by ELB »

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime ... 6f98eb3152

Judge Alexandra Smoots-Thomas suspended without pay after being charged with seven counts of wire fraud for embezzling campaign money for personal use: jewelry, designer purse, vacation airfare, school tuition, home mortgage.

Her attorney says:
“She’s a black female Democrat, and I think they saw this as an opportunity to get her off the bench and try to start putting Republicans back on the bench in a county where there’s none that exist," ...
USAF 1982-2005

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Re: TX: Harris County judge indicted by Feds

Post by flechero »

What a crock, her attorney should be disbarred for being incompetent. Yep, the whole world is racist now. She could have very easily just not done the things she did and been an honorable judge... I mean heck, we're regular people, and we're expected to follow the laws.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Racism is the new go-to place for just about everyone now

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TreyHouston »

carlson1 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:45 pm Racism is the new go-to place for just about everyone now
THIS is why “hate crime” has jumped to high all the sudden
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Department of Justice, U.S. Attorney’s Office, Southern District of Texas

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, Thursday, September 17, 2020

Former local judge convicted of fraud
https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdtx/pr/[abbreviated profanity deleted] ... cted-fraud
Today, [Alexandra Smoots-Thomas] pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud... Following the plea today, U.S. District Judge Lynn H. Hughes allowed Smoots-Thomas to immediately proceed to sentencing..... The court heard arguments from the government citing how Smoots-Thomas abused her position and asked for a fair sentence within the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines. Judge Hughes permitted her release following her time already served in custody. Restitution will be determined at a hearing set for Oct. 26.
Harkening back to ELB's original post and his quoting Smoots-Thomas's attorney's claim that this was nothing but a ploy by Republicans to get a Black female Democrat off the bench.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Thanks for the update!
USAF 1982-2005

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Glad to hear the update!
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Rafe wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:22 am Department of Justice, U.S. Attorney’s Office, Southern District of Texas

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, Thursday, September 17, 2020

Former local judge convicted of fraud
https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdtx/pr/[abbreviated profanity deleted] ... cted-fraud
Today, [Alexandra Smoots-Thomas] pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud... Following the plea today, U.S. District Judge Lynn H. Hughes allowed Smoots-Thomas to immediately proceed to sentencing..... The court heard arguments from the government citing how Smoots-Thomas abused her position and asked for a fair sentence within the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines. Judge Hughes permitted her release following her time already served in custody. Restitution will be determined at a hearing set for Oct. 26.
Harkening back to ELB's original post and his quoting Smoots-Thomas's attorney's claim that this was nothing but a ploy by Republicans to get a Black female Democrat off the bench.
So how much time was served? I need to know, because it may impact my decision to commit embezzlement. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:43 pm So how much time was served? I need to know, because it may impact my decision to commit embezzlement. :mrgreen:
Well, my Google Fu there is weak today. But in looking for that, I turned up this tidbit:

https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... ble-again/
A former Harris County District Judge, who was indicted on wire fraud charges last year, has been arrested again, according to court records. She is accused of assaulting her husband’s girlfriend.

Alexandra Smoots-Thomas was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon Wednesday. According to court records, she fired a shotgun in the direction of a woman outside a home in the 1400 block of Jewel Meadow Drive on Monday....

Smoots-Thomas is out on bond and not permitted to possess a weapon.
It's a good thing that our District Judges are such such fine, upstanding citizens and members of our community; absolutely above reproach.

Evidently her hearing in federal court for the wire fraud charge wasn't scheduled until November. The fact that she pleaded guilty this week may well have something to do with this assault with a deadly weapon charge. Her federal court bond may have been revoked after the shotgun arrest.

I do love the way that her attorney described the events of the ADW charge: "My client was in a car and the other woman was outside the car. I believe she was carrying a club or some sort of stick with the intent to assault my client and a gun appeared. A shot was fired but nobody was hurt."

Emphasis mine. Ya know, if those magically-appearing shotguns are for sale somewhere--you know, just wish for it and it appears out of thin air--I may be in the market. Talk about concealed carry!
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

carlson1 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:45 pm Racism is the new go-to place for just about everyone now
Seems so. The dipocraps, looters, arsonists, rapists and murderers are creating racists where there were none.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Oldgringo wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:18 pm
Seems so. The dipocraps, looters, arsonists, rapists and murderers are creating racists where there were none.
Since racism has been so bad in this country I just wonder why the “first black President” didn’t work in it while in office? Why didn’t he have “the racist statues” removed?

And since they are so bent and determined to take our old patriots down I just thought I would post a picture of General Robert E. Lee on his horse, Traveler.

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Somehow I’m not surprised.
USAF 1982-2005

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Rafe wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:07 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:43 pm So how much time was served? I need to know, because it may impact my decision to commit embezzlement. :mrgreen:
Well, my Google Fu there is weak today. But in looking for that, I turned up this tidbit:

https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... ble-again/
A former Harris County District Judge, who was indicted on wire fraud charges last year, has been arrested again, according to court records. She is accused of assaulting her husband’s girlfriend.

Alexandra Smoots-Thomas was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon Wednesday. According to court records, she fired a shotgun in the direction of a woman outside a home in the 1400 block of Jewel Meadow Drive on Monday....

Smoots-Thomas is out on bond and not permitted to possess a weapon.
It's a good thing that our District Judges are such such fine, upstanding citizens and members of our community; absolutely above reproach.

Evidently her hearing in federal court for the wire fraud charge wasn't scheduled until November. The fact that she pleaded guilty this week may well have something to do with this assault with a deadly weapon charge. Her federal court bond may have been revoked after the shotgun arrest.

I do love the way that her attorney described the events of the ADW charge: "My client was in a car and the other woman was outside the car. I believe she was carrying a club or some sort of stick with the intent to assault my client and a gun appeared. A shot was fired but nobody was hurt."

Emphasis mine. Ya know, if those magically-appearing shotguns are for sale somewhere--you know, just wish for it and it appears out of thin air--I may be in the market. Talk about concealed carry!
Must've come from the Lady of the Lake.

Or the Legend of Zelda "It's dangerous to go after his ho alone, take this!"
Psalm 91:2

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

"...a gun appeared. A shot was fired..."

Ima gonna use that defense if I’m ever indicted in a self defense shooting. I love legal precedence. Don’t you guys?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flechero

Post by flechero »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:33 am "...a gun appeared. A shot was fired..."

Ima gonna use that defense if I’m ever indicted in a self defense shooting. I love legal precedence. Don’t you guys?
I chuckled when I read that and also thought wouldn't the prosecutor just follow up with asking who's gun it was and how it appeared? (to completely dismantle the innocence of it.)

Return to “The Crime Blotter”