Action Needed: Employer Parking Lots

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Keith B
Posts in topic: 18

Re: Action Needed: Employer Parking Lots

Post by Keith B »

stompme wrote:My best resolution to this conversation is to use stealth window tint from 3m as the law will require, and use a dag-um sun shade......Resolved! Of course if you work for the Bureau of Engraving and Printing...might want to re-think this.
Not always an option. Many employers have written in their guidelines that your vehicle is subject to search when on their property. If you refuse to allow search, then you can be terminated. So, we need SB 321 / HB 681 to get to the House floor for vote and passed.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RandyM
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RandyM »

Keith B wrote:
stompme wrote:My best resolution to this conversation is to use stealth window tint from 3m as the law will require, and use a dag-um sun shade......Resolved! Of course if you work for the Bureau of Engraving and Printing...might want to re-think this.
Not always an option. Many employers have written in their guidelines that your vehicle is subject to search when on their property. If you refuse to allow search, then you can be terminated. So, we need SB 321 / HB 681 to get to the House floor for vote and passed.

Agreed

RandyM

Post by RandyM »

I thought we were a pro-gun state?
Well good for them.

Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels signed a new gun law in Indiana Monday, banning employers from asking whether employees have weapons in their vehicles

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/InTheNe ... ?ID=15039&

GEM-Texas
Posts in topic: 5

Post by GEM-Texas »

We are a pro-business state - as they have the cash. What a surprise.

Gyrogearhead
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Gyrogearhead »

GEM-Texas wrote:We are a pro-business state - as they have the cash. What a surprise.
Yeah, It's the "Golden Rule" all over again (Who ever has the gold makes the rules.) :mad5

Gerry
"With atomic weapons, as in many other things, knowing what to do isn't nearly so important as knowing what NOT to do." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer, 1946

Wisdom comes from reading the instructions. Experience comes from not reading them!

ac-mech

Post by ac-mech »

please don't tell me this bill is dead......

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Maxwell »

I work for a large company in Houston that has about 7000 employees here. Estimated at 20% CHL that's lot of guns in the parking lot against California head quarter's company policy! We need this bill to pass!
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

ac-mech wrote:please don't tell me this bill is dead......
Not at all.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

On the Texas Legislature web site HB681 is listed as "Relating to the forfeiture of good conduct time from inmates who file frivolous applications for writ of habeas corpus."
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/billlookup ... Bill=HB681" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone know what happened here?

SB 321 still appears to be the Parking lot bill, but has not passed the House vote yet.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Maxwell wrote:On the Texas Legislature web site HB681 is listed as "Relating to the forfeiture of good conduct time from inmates who file frivolous applications for writ of habeas corpus."
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/billlookup ... Bill=HB681" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone know what happened here?

SB 321 still appears to be the Parking lot bill, but has not passed the House vote yet.
Your link on 681 is to a past session (79R). Make sure you are on 82R. Here is the link for that bill number in the current session http://www.legis.state.tx.us/billlookup ... Bill=HB681" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Thanks Keith. Looks like the Senate bill is further along but the text seems identical in the two bills. Hopefully one will pass...

Max

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

I'm all for the Parking Lot bill; however if passed will continue my policy "concealed is concealed". My company has provisions that they are entitled to search your car at any time and refusal is termination. While I suspect this is illegal remember if they feel they have problems with you they can always terminate you "at will" for any reason or no reason. standing on your legal right to keep a gun in your car does not work when you can be terminated for "at will". The bill is not a lot of protection.
I do not carry at work or in the car as I need my job to buy more guns. :???:
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 24

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

kjolly wrote:I'm all for the Parking Lot bill; however if passed will continue my policy "concealed is concealed". My company has provisions that they are entitled to search your car at any time and refusal is termination. While I suspect this is illegal remember if they feel they have problems with you they can always terminate you "at will" for any reason or no reason. standing on your legal right to keep a gun in your car does not work when you can be terminated for "at will". The bill is not a lot of protection.
I do not carry at work or in the car as I need my job to buy more guns. :???:
While Texas is an employment-at-will State, there are limits to an employer's ability to legally terminate or discipline an employee. An employer cannot violate federal or state law that protects certain classes of person. If the employer parking lot bill passes in its current form, then it will provide a lot of protection to employees.

Some will argue that an employer will fire you anyway an claim another reason. This is called terminating under pretext and it can happen now when race, age, nationality, or other factors are illegally used in the termination decision. It will get the employer sued and they will lose, unless they are very very good at covering their tracts. Most aren't.

Chas.

Paragrouper

Post by Paragrouper »

This is now on the House Calendar for 2 May!I received an alert from the TSRA to contact my representative and ask them to oppose any harmful amendments. I have already done so.

Start dialing folks. Lets push this one through!
DCC
"Beware the fury of of the patient man." ~John Dryden

kyreb

Post by kyreb »

Faxed a letter to my guy this morning. Man, I hope this thing gets through this time.
NRA Endowment Member
Unrepentant Hobbyist

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”