HB681/SB321 Parking Lots Bill is on the Floor

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Kythas
Posts in topic: 3

Re: HB681/SB321 Parking Lots Bill is on the Floor

Post by Kythas »

Note, also, not everybody is included in this bill.

School district employees will still be prohibited from keeping a gun in their vehicle while at work.

If you're employed in the petro-chemical industry, you must have a CHL to keep your firearm in your vehicle and you are limited to only keeping a handgun in it.

If you service oil/gas wells, you may not keep a firearm in your vehicle.

None of these exemptions make any sense to me, especially the school district employee exemption. I'll refer you to the Pearl High School shooting on Oct 1, 1997, when the assistant principal, Joel Myrick, subdued the shooter and held him for police after retrieving a .45 from his parked vehicle.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

kragluver
Posts in topic: 1

Post by kragluver »

School district employees will still be prohibited from keeping a gun in their vehicle while at work.
This would not apply to school district employees who also hold a CHL though would it?

I'm also interested in how the new parking lot bill would apply to employees who work on fedral property (or if it would...).

The Krag rifle is the Swiss watch of MILSURPS.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Keith B »

kragluver wrote:
This would not apply to school district employees who also hold a CHL though would it?

I'm also interested in how the new parking lot bill would apply to employees who work on fedral property (or if it would...).
Federal property is still off-limits. This bill does not override that.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Here is what I posted yesterday.

Chas.
Charles L. Cotton wrote:SB321 passed to third reading tomorrow and that's a formality. Then the Senate will either concur with the two amendments Rep. Kleinschmidt put on the bill, or refuse to concur and the Bill will go to a Senate/House conference committee. From there a compromise would be presented to both the House and Senate for an up or down vote with no opportunity to amend.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

It looks like people (opponents?) are going to offer amendments even on third reading. This should be a formality, but I guess opponents aren't going to give up even facing a 100 vote majority.

Chas.

jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jerry_r60 »

Once this does make it back to the senate, does it have to again make it out of a scheduling committee? Is that a concern?

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

kragluver wrote:

I believe even school district employees with a CHL would be exempt from this, but we'll have to see the wording of the bill after it's passed to make sure.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

boomstick
Posts in topic: 4

Post by boomstick »

SB 321 is being debated on floor at this time
SSGT, USAF Security Police (1975-1981)
NORAD Cheyenne Mountain, Osan AB Korea, Ellsworth AFB S.D.
TX CHL/LTC Instructor (2011-2017)
NRA Pistol Instructor (2015-2017)

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Jasonw560 »

I always miss the good stuff. :grumble
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

Kythas wrote: Received this in my email this morning:
The legislation has always stalled in House Calendar's committee. In addition to the hard work of Rep. Tim Kleinschmidt (R-Lexington), special thanks must go to Calendars Committee chairman, Rep. Todd Hunter (R-Corpus Christi) and Speaker Joe Straus.
If Hunter and Strauss get to take the credit for this one, that means they need to take the fall for Campus Carry that's still pigeonholed in Calendars.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Jasonw560 »

Hoi Polloi wrote:
Kythas wrote: Received this in my email this morning:
The legislation has always stalled in House Calendar's committee. In addition to the hard work of Rep. Tim Kleinschmidt (R-Lexington), special thanks must go to Calendars Committee chairman, Rep. Todd Hunter (R-Corpus Christi) and Speaker Joe Straus.
If Hunter and Strauss get to take the credit for this one, that means they need to take the fall for Campus Carry that's still pigeonholed in Calendars.
:iagree:
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

A-R
Posts in topic: 23

Post by A-R »

boomstick wrote:SB 321 is being debated on floor at this time
What happened? I just turned on video feed and "Chuy" was pushing some joint resolution commending some businesswoman from south America or something - couldn't stomach hearing his voice anymore, so turned it off :grumble

ac-mech
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ac-mech »

another amendment?

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 6

Post by hirundo82 »

austinrealtor wrote:What happened? I just turned on video feed and "Chuy" was pushing some joint resolution commending some businesswoman from south America or something - couldn't stomach hearing his voice anymore, so turned it off :grumble
Wrong feed--that's the Senate; SB321 is on the floor of the House.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

TrueFlog
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TrueFlog »

Eiland is speaking again about the fact that contractors are not covered. He seems to understand that this bill is the best we can do. I think he's just trying to cover himself with his constituents - showing he made an effort to get contractors included. He and Kleinschmidt agree the best approach is to pass this bill, then amend it next session to cover contractors.

Record vote... Passed 117-29!
Last edited by TrueFlog on Wed May 04, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”