RARE colt 1911A1 - SOLD

Items listed for over one month, or that were sold are listed here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Matto79
Posts in topic: 1

Re: RARE colt 1911A1

Post by Matto79 »

That's still a sweet gun. Even though its made in 1918, to be functional in 2012 is outstanding. Shooting that really must be like going back in time. I understand selling it if you need the money, but I'd hang on to it. That gun is a time machine!
XDM .45 4.5
XDM 9mm Compact 3.8
Kimber Ultra Carry II .45

Thoughts on CHL Carry - I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it!

Topic author
schufflerbot
Posts in topic: 9

Post by schufflerbot »

Matto79 wrote:That's still a sweet gun. Even though its made in 1918, to be functional in 2012 is outstanding. Shooting that really must be like going back in time. I understand selling it if you need the money, but I'd hang on to it. That gun is a time machine!
i have not fired it, still kind of up in the air about that... some folks on other forums are telling me to cerakote it and shoot it on veterans / memorial day... others are telling me to never put a round through it or touch the finish...

i wasn't planning on getting this thing... a guy i was trading with wanted to sweeten a deal i wasn't really keen on and threw this in to reel me in. i took a little risk in that i had no idea what to look for on a weapon this old but it turned out beautifully.

i've got it up for sale right now but every time i hold it i consider keeping it... maybe make an awesome case for it and mount it on the wall.

JeepGuy79

Post by JeepGuy79 »

That is a nice gun! I have a remington rand 1911 marked united states property. I got it direct from the guy it was issued to in WW2. They let him keep it and the browning hi-power he took off the nazi he killed with it (that I also have). Man I wish these old service pistols could talk.

You sure you want to sell that thing? They are pretty cool pieces of history.

MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MoJo »

schufflerbot wrote:every time i hold it i consider keeping it... maybe make an awesome case for it and mount it on the wall.
Now you're talking!
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

Would you consider a trade for 1 complete left arm including all joints, hand and fingers???? Who can't use another hand..

Lucky you!

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

MoJo wrote:Doc is correct about the date the gun was made. Any 1911 made in 1918 is a 1911 not an A1. The A1 mods were put into place in 1924. Your gun has a 1911 frame and slide an A1 trigger and mainspring housing and probably an A1 grip safety. The mods were probably done as arsenal overhauls sometime between WWI and WWII or right after WWII. There were a ton of former service 1911 pistols sold by the DCM (now CMP) after WWII and before the GCA of 1968. In about 1960 a service grade pistol sold for about 30 bucks.
And doing the handy-dandy inflation calculator shows that $30 in 1960 is about $230 now...so, even then it was a great buy...a cheap 1911 goes for around $500 bucks these days...all in all, a good purchase back then and a good deal today, as well. :thumbs2:

Topic author
schufflerbot

Re: RARE colt 1911A1 - WTT for two guns!

Post by schufflerbot »

Bump, now looking for trades only. cash is boring.

SCone

Post by SCone »

Do you have detailed pics of all the markings?

Topic author
schufflerbot

Post by schufflerbot »

SCone wrote:Do you have detailed pics of all the markings?
yep, they're on page 1. just scroll down, let me know if you want to see more.

SCone

Post by SCone »

Are there any markings under the firing pin stop on the slide? Any arsenal rebuild markings? Barrel appears to be a Springfield from WWII. The mainspring housing & trigger seem to date about the same.

Overall it looks like a good shooter, but without detailed photos to verify it's history, that all it will ever be.

Topic author
schufflerbot

Post by schufflerbot »

SCone wrote:Are there any markings under the firing pin stop on the slide? Any arsenal rebuild markings? Barrel appears to be a Springfield from WWII. The mainspring housing & trigger seem to date about the same.

Overall it looks like a good shooter, but without detailed photos to verify it's history, that all it will ever be.
nothing that i can see under the pin stop, the gentleman who first looked at the pistol for me went through and explained what all the stamps and markings meant... wish i'd have recorded that conversation or something, because i don't remember the details beyond what i've posted in here. i heard the value range and got so excited that i'd traded up that i kind of spaced out, lol.

Return to “Closed Items”