UPDATE: 1/10/13

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Ziran
Posts in topic: 1

Re: UPDATE: 1/10/13

Post by Ziran »

I am not for this bill in any way (Its just another pointless feel good measure that chips away at our rights) but this could simply be stated that if you have TX driver license then you have to have TX CHL.

hpcatx
Posts in topic: 3

Post by hpcatx »

JALLEN wrote:What is the cost to register a new car purchased in Texas?

The last time I bought a new car, the sales tax and registration was almost $5,000. The sales tax would be higher now.
I believe that it's 6.5% tax on a new car purchase in Texas, plus an administrative fee for the registration. When I recently re-registered a vehicle in Louisiana from Texas, I was credited the 6.5% tax, had to pay the difference with local tax, and then had to pay the LA administrative fee. I would think going to Texas would be similar.

On topic, I don't oppose requiring Texas residents to know TX law and hold a TX CHL (not withstanding the extraneous arguments of Constitutional carry, etc.), but I think a grace period has to be written into the statue for new residents to allow for the course and application times.
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

Since both DLs and CHLs are issued by DPS, couldn't there be an option to use fingerprints on file when you got or renewed your DL to be used for the CHL? Why does DPS need two sets of the same prints?
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sjfcontrol »

Jasonw560 wrote:Since both DLs and CHLs are issued by DPS, couldn't there be an option to use fingerprints on file when you got or renewed your DL to be used for the CHL? Why does DPS need two sets of the same prints?
Is DPS requiring fingerprints for drivers licenses now? :headscratch
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

Maybe its just me, but getting a CHL in Texas is a straightforward process compared to what I have been through here, and not expensive. Of course, I get the 50% off as a senior and a vet. The big stumbling point is the class, in Texas, which I've not been able to schedule thus far. Maybe it is just being a lawyer but I am looking forward to knowing the laws there so I can operate within them with confidence.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

apostate

Post by apostate »

sjfcontrol wrote:
Jasonw560 wrote:Since both DLs and CHLs are issued by DPS, couldn't there be an option to use fingerprints on file when you got or renewed your DL to be used for the CHL? Why does DPS need two sets of the same prints?
Is DPS requiring fingerprints for drivers licenses now? :headscratch
Thumbs only IIRC.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”