NRA Instructor Courses...

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
chefkristian
Posts in topic: 2

NRA Instructor Courses...

Post by chefkristian »

Why are there none closer to Austin? I really want to take some of the NRA Certified Instructor courses (basic pistol mostly), but the closest ones are in San Antonio, and I don't want to have to pay the extra $$ for a hotel room...
NRA Member
TSRA Member
7-24-10 CHL Class
7-28-10 Online Application & hand delivered paperwork
9-03-10 PIH! 38 days...

jester
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NRA Instructor Courses...

Post by jester »

Have you looked at KR Training?
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

Topic author
chefkristian

Post by chefkristian »

jester wrote:Have you looked at KR Training?
They are actually a little further away from me than San Antonio... 100 miles (Bryan, Texas) vs. 85 miles (San Antonio)
NRA Member
TSRA Member
7-24-10 CHL Class
7-28-10 Online Application & hand delivered paperwork
9-03-10 PIH! 38 days...

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

The trick is that instructor courses must be taught by an NRA Training Counselor, and those are far fewer between than certified instructors.

I'd recommend searching regularly for instructor courses that interest you at http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx. Most listings include email addresses, and if/when you find courses that are at least nominally close to Austin (e.g., San Antonio, Gatesville), I'd drop the Training Counselor an email and ask about any future classes near Austin.

If you can help arrange a venue and promote the class, a Counselor may well be willing to travel to you and teach the courses in Austin.

BTW, the NRA Basic Instructor Training (commonly referred to as "BIT") is a prerequisite for any firearms trainer certification like Basic Pistol Instructor or Basic Rifle Instructor. That's a one-day course needing seven classroom hours, so you might decide you could drive to San Antonio for that one. The Pistol instructor class requires a minimum of 10 hours, so is almost always spread out over two days.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

TraCoun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TraCoun »

Skiprr wrote: If you can help arrange a venue and promote the class, a Counselor may well be willing to travel to you and teach the courses in Austin.

BTW, the NRA Basic Instructor Training (commonly referred to as "BIT") is a prerequisite for any firearms trainer certification like Basic Pistol Instructor or Basic Rifle Instructor. That's a one-day course needing seven classroom hours, so you might decide you could drive to San Antonio for that one. The Pistol instructor class requires a minimum of 10 hours, so is almost always spread out over two days.
I am a Training Counselor and am willing to travel to do instructor classes. PM me for more info and discussion.

The Pistol Instructor class can be done in one day - that's what most of mine are.

I am in Friendswood (a bit south of Houston). Some folks have built their family vacations around my classes, bringing family down to the Houston/Galveston area for attractions (Space Center Houston, Moody Gardens, etc.) while they come to class. Just a thought.

Thanx,
TraCoun

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

And a +1 for TraCoun's courses!
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “General”