Update: Edged Weapons Seminar.

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 29

Update: Edged Weapons Seminar.

Post by flintknapper »

Just came from discussing this subject with my former knife instructor.

He is willing to put on a one day seminar in January at the Dojo in Nacogdoches, TX.

I will be posting more information later, but here is some of what we discussed.

Training to include:

Basic use of knife as a weapon (Offensive, Defensive).
Knife against Knife.
Empty hands against knife.
Why its important to understand knife techniques.
How to minimize injury to yourself when knives are involved.
Basic pistol disarms and retention.
Basic empty hands techniques, concepts and principles.

This seminar will be flexible enough to allow for questions and scenarios, but the bulk of the day (6-7 hrs.) will be geared toward training.

Don't expect to leave the Dojo at the end of the day...an "expert" in edged weapons. On the other hand, I can promise that you will leave having learned a great deal. Any interest in more "advanced" training can be arranged at a later date. If we have good success with this seminar, another can be scheduled to address more specific techniques.

I encourage all that can, to make the short drive to Nacogdoches. You won't be disappointed. We are just over 2 hours from North Houston, and about 3 hours or so from Dallas. Its a day trip!

Attendance: We can not give full attention to a group of more than 15. So it will be "first come, first served".

Cost: Eugene (as personal favor to me) will make this instruction available at the cost of $50.00 per person (in advance), or $65.00 at the door (class limited to 15 persons).

I will post back later... a more detailed program, and give you the qualifications of the instructor(s), etc...

I will be happy to answer all questions concerning: What you need to bring, how to dress, level of physical activity, etc...

The "Mods" may choose to make this a "sticky" until the event is complete, but thats up to them.

Flint.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

KinnyLee
Posts in topic: 9

Post by KinnyLee »

When in January? I'm pretty much down. :cool:

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jbirds1210 »

I will be there. Thank you!

Flint-Thank you so much for putting this together. This is going to be a wonderful opportuniy at a VERY reasonable price. You have gone far beyond what I could have ever hoped for. Let me know when and where payment will be accepted and it will be on the way! Thanks again.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

O.K. folks, some preliminary plans have taken shape.

The Seminar.. by necessity, must be held in January (2nd weekend) unless this is inconvenient for a large number of people, in which case we will try to move it. Also, it will be conducted on a Sunday. I know this cuts into Church time for some folks. Pray about it, and if possible please plan to attend. We need to have a minimum of 8 students, and no more than 15.

Here is Eugene's e-mail to me last night:

John,
As we discussed I will be happy to conduct a full day seminar, dealing with different aspects of the discipline. I would anticipate working on empty hands against knife, knife against knife and knife disarms. I can tailor depending on the experience, age, etc. I can also teach "flow drills" depending on experience and ability. We'll work on basic concepts and principles including economy of motion, body contouring, relaxed interceptions, targeting vital areas, joint destructions and much more. It depends completely on how fast the group can move. I have more than enough to go a full day (6 to 8 hours). I would think a fair price would be $50 prepay, $65 at the door. I can provide practice knives. Everyone should bring their personal carry knives, so I can understand what the needs are. People would need to dress in loose clothing and be ready to work. As you know, I have multiple teaching credentials in the Filipino/edged weapon arts. I also have black belts or teaching certifications in Shen Chuan, Daito Ryu Akijitsu, and Hapkido. People can learn more about me by going to:

http://www.joerlansdale.com/shenchuan/i ... uctors.htm

Let me know if you need anything further. Eugene

Map to Dojo: http://www.joerlansdale.com/shenchuan/map/Map.htm

I will contact Eugene in the coming days to secure enrollment/payment forms...as interest dictates.

If you have any questions, please post them here, PM me, or e-mail at johnmm1223@yahoo.com

I look forward to meeting you in person.

Flint.

fm2
Posts in topic: 6

Post by fm2 »

Sounds like a great time to me!

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

flintknapper wrote:The Seminar.. by necessity, must be held in January (2nd weekend) unless this is inconvenient for a large number of people, in which case we will try to move it.
Perfect!! I'm 99% in and may also have another guy going. Let me know when and where to send the $$ :cool:

Thanks Flint!! :grin:

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jbirds1210 »

I am sure a car pool can be worked out for folks traveling from the Houston area. I would be happy to throw gas money into a pot for the driver.

I would also be happy to take my wife's car (she doesn't know this yet) with the understanding that someone needs to print directions and understand how to get there! LOL :grin: If there is a way to get lost, I will definitely find it! Take care.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

jbirds1210 wrote:I am sure a car pool can be worked out for folks traveling from the Houston area. I would be happy to throw gas money into a pot for the driver.

I would also be happy to take my wife's car (she doesn't know this yet) with the understanding that someone needs to print directions and understand how to get there! LOL :grin: If there is a way to get lost, I will definitely find it! Take care.
Jason
We can take the GPS to go Piloting again. :cool:

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Hey guys,

No need to be concerned about getting lost. The Dojo is very easy to find, and the way to Nacogdoches (from Houston) is straight up 59 until you get here.

I know you will all enjoy the seminar. The atmosphere will be informal, and the training will be tailored to your needs. There will be something for all age groups and physical abilities.

Eugene is a unique instructor, I don't know of anyone that has trained with him for a day...that didn't feel as if they had known him for years.

I will be in contact with him about getting applications to everyone interested, or perhaps posting a down-loadable version here. I am sure he will not want any prepaid fees until a week or two before the seminar.

Hopefully the tentative date (the second Sunday in January) will work out for most people. That should give everyone a chance to settle down from the rigors of the holidays. That date can be moved if necessary, but the quicker we get a response from members (or friends) the faster we can determine if that would be needed.

As an aside, Eugene is also a CHL holder, an active IDPA/IPSC shooter. So, he is familiar with Concealed Carry and defensive shooting principles. We can easily work some basic handgun disarms and retention skills into the curriculum. I hope that some of the Ladies will take advantage of this offer, as it will consist of much more than just knife skills.

Please feel free to post your questions/concerns/comments here.

I look forward to meeting you all in January.

Flint.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longtooth »

I know Eugene & have shot w/ him. Flint is a very good friend. For any ladies interested, you can be sure both are gentlemen & will treat you w/ the greatest respect.

These two guy are good w/ their hands & can really move. Hate it has to be on Sunday. :cry:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

yerasimos
Posts in topic: 2

Post by yerasimos »

Count me in.

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Great!

Lets keep 'em coming.

Do not hesitate to attend this seminar just because you have had no prior experience/training. It will be tailored to your needs.

Just as in shooting: No one there will be the best or worst we've ever seen. :smile:

This will be a good opportunity to learn both offensive and defensive skills using a tool that can be legally carried many places.

fm2
Posts in topic: 6

Post by fm2 »

Will we cover fixed blade and folder options? Folder deployment? What ranges will we work on, ie ranged-grounded?

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

fm2 wrote:Will we cover fixed blade and folder options? Folder deployment? What ranges will we work on, ie ranged-grounded?

Yes, we will discuss practical ways to carry, how to deploy (tip up, tip down) etc...

Most techniques used for fixed blade can transition to folder, but the folding knife will be the main focus. We will no doubt cover the 12 angles of attack, different ranges, grips, parries, trapping, passing, vital target areas, etc...

How "involved" we get will depend on how fast the group can learn. Bring your personal folder and we will train you around it. A person who carries a 2" blade will naturally have different needs than someone with a 5" blade, and if you carry a Karambit...the whole thing changes.

We will do our best to address the differences in techniques for various blade lengths, but since this is a one day class...we want to get the fundamentals on everyone first. We can handle anything from raw beginners to "Guro's".

cyphur
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cyphur »

I would love to go but unfortunately the 4 hour drive is prohibitive.

Return to “General”