Holster Question (SERPA)

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
James88
Posts in topic: 2

Holster Question (SERPA)

Post by James88 »

What do you guys think about the Serpa level 2 holsters? I'm thinking that it could be a pretty solid OC and winter-time CC holster, but I was wondering if anyone has any specific experience (good or bad) with them.

I'm looking at this one:

http://amzn.to/1Spxn82

Any advice would be appreciated!

casp625
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Holster Question (SERPA)

Post by casp625 »

James88 wrote:What do you guys think about the Serpa level 2 holsters? I'm thinking that it could be a pretty solid OC and winter-time CC holster, but I was wondering if anyone has any specific experience (good or bad) with them.

I'm looking at this one:

I don't like the concept of using my trigger finger to disengage the locking system. Personally, I have a Safariland with ALS that disengage with your thumb.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I've used the Serpas for at least a decade without any issues. I'm not running through the sand or getting them dirty and they've worked flawlessly. I've also used them in IDPA matches without any issues. However, I can definitely see how the trigger finger activation of the lever could be an issue. Training and practice with an EMPTY gun is absolutely a must and even more important with this type of holster for that very reason.

Now, I've been ade a recent convert to the Safariland ALS holsters. I recently bought a 7TS for a Glock 21SF with a TLR-1 light mounted. It's a great holster and a great locking mechanism that is activated with the thumb. When they have a 7TS for the Glock 30 I will get one. The motion of activating the locking mechanism with the thumb feels like a more natural action than the one with the finger as on the Serpas.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

I have one but I stopped using it after I got custom kydex holster with TLR-2/4 attached.
It is good holster, solid, Pistol stay put with the right gun belt. Train, train your draw until it becomes 2nd nature for your strong arm. If you do not practice, it would slow down the draw and may introduce issues under stress
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

I used them quite a bit. I prefer the Safariland.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

I have a few of the Serpa's. While I have never had a problem there are various video's posted of ND's with these holsters and many tactical instructors / classes around the DFW area seem to no longer permit their use in training. Just a heads up that if you buy it, you may not get to train with it.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Tracker

Post by Tracker »

casp625 wrote:
James88 wrote:What do you guys think about the Serpa level 2 holsters? I'm thinking that it could be a pretty solid OC and winter-time CC holster, but I was wondering if anyone has any specific experience (good or bad) with them.

I'm looking at this one:

I don't like the concept of using my trigger finger to disengage the locking system. Personally, I have a Safariland with ALS that disengage with your thumb.
I've never had an issue with my SERPA and don't get why people are shooting themselves with them. In drawing the gun my finger is always above the trigger guard. I've since switched to the Safariland ALS and I like this holster much more. I've always thought the obvious release made it known to the BG who would pull the gun from behind could realize he needed to depress the release. The Safariland thumb release is pretty much hidden. The paddle is stiffer making it more comfortable.

Jketchum

Post by Jketchum »

I have one for my g32, I don't see a problem with it, when I depress the button and draw the gun my finger is above the trigger along the frame.

I'm not the biggest paddle holster fan, so I bought the belt attachment.

Good holster to add to the holster drawer.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

SERPAs are OK and inexpensive. However, due to negligent discharges by some individuals who did not religiously use a finger in the straight indexed position to release the lock, many trainers will not allow the use of SERPA and similar holsters in their classes. For these reasons, holsters using a release that does not involve the trigger finger are a better option. Safariland's ALS (thumb) and GLS (middle finger taking the grip) are two other designs that work well with simple, almost automatic ease and none of the downsides of trigger finger involvement.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

If Safariland makes a 7377 for your pistol, then you should buy one. If they do not, get a pistol that they do make one for.

I have several of Safariland's new 7ts holsters, and they are absolutely perfect; a far cry from their older kydex and suede offerings that were pretty good themselves.

I'm about to go mow the lawn with a G17 in a 7377.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

I'm not going to post the whole story again since I'm on my phone, but suffice it to say that I will NEVER use a Serpa holster again if I have a choice in the matter.

I was once one of those who sneered at the people who had problems with them. I changed my mind in a hurry when I had my own experience with them.

As I've said before, (extreme example) you can design a holster that requires you to pull the trigger halfway back to release the retention mechanism and then blame any resulting NDs on a "lack of training" or "improper use". That doesn't make it any less of a stupid design; and IMHO, the Serpa is a stupid design.

Not to mention the cheap and weak construction and the high potential for the release mechanism to get jammed with grit.

There are FAR better alternatives from a host of manufacturers. G-Code, Safariland and others come to mind.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Gunsite says they aren't allowed, that's good enough for me.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Thanks for mentioning G-code. I will look into those products
Beiruty,

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Middle Age Russ wrote:SERPAs are OK and inexpensive. However, due to negligent discharges by some individuals who did not religiously use a finger in the straight indexed position to release the lock, many trainers will not allow the use of SERPA and similar holsters in their classes. For these reasons, holsters using a release that does not involve the trigger finger are a better option. Safariland's ALS (thumb) and GLS (middle finger taking the grip) are two other designs that work well with simple, almost automatic ease and none of the downsides of trigger finger involvement.
Thumb activating is the safest method.
Beiruty,

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”