HB308

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 21

Re: HB308

Post by RoyGBiv »

Liberty wrote:While we tend to focus on the OC bill and the value, or the lack of it as you will. Its worthwhile to note that Campus carry if we get it through will be a major breakthrough, in furthering the cause of 308. I think that allowing campus carry and with the public observing that there has been no blood flowing on the classroom desktops. will make a bill like 308 might become an easier sell. next term. The university Bureaucrats. were a powerful force to overcome. Now beaten we can move on to the bigger goals.

Campus carry is a huge accomplishment, and will save lives. even if it is a baby step. It is a step forward. 10 years ago I would have thought this would be an impossible achievment. Today its within reach. Thanks to Charles and a few others on this forum who have done a tremendous amount of work
Thanks for the reminder. :txflag:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jerry_r60 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
ELB wrote:I think he saying that HB308 is far more important and far-reaching in extending 2A rights than HB910, but the frenzy around open carry has elevated the glamorous but relatively minor progress over the substantive.
Very well said. Yes, I want HB910 or SB17 to pass, but the cost was very high. I'll be glad to see open-carry off the radar so we can push for HB308-type legislation. I'm working on a two-year campaign to get it passed in 2017. I don't want to die or retire from politics with this unfinished.

Chas.
Is there no value at this point in calling the Homeland committee asking them advance HB308?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

jerry_r60 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
ELB wrote:I think he saying that HB308 is far more important and far-reaching in extending 2A rights than HB910, but the frenzy around open carry has elevated the glamorous but relatively minor progress over the substantive.
Very well said. Yes, I want HB910 or SB17 to pass, but the cost was very high. I'll be glad to see open-carry off the radar so we can push for HB308-type legislation. I'm working on a two-year campaign to get it passed in 2017. I don't want to die or retire from politics with this unfinished.

Chas.
Is there no value at this point in calling the Homeland committee asking them advance HB308?
I don't think so. That's why I haven't put out a call-to-action. I trying to evaluate its chances now and I may issue a CTA if it looks the least bit promising.

Thanks,
Chas.

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by der Teufel »

Well, I went ahead a few days ago and sent an email to Rep. Larry Phillips, chairman of the Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee which (I believe) is currently holding HB308. I figure it may not do any good, but I reckoned that a polite note would do no harm, either. I thanked him for his authorship of HB910 (open carry) and his support of HB937 (campus carry), and encouraged him to allow HB308 to progress.

Perhaps (probably) to no avail, but it took only a few minutes of my time and cost me nothing.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 21

Post by RoyGBiv »

RoyGBiv wrote:FWIW, I sent the Gov and my House rep an email asking them to get behind HB 308.

Stole some of Charles' language about "OC will be nice, but 308 will save lives."
FWIW... Received the following from the Gov. office yesterday.
Good to know that at least my opinion was tallied.
Thank you for contacting the Office of the Governor. We understand you support expanding the list of places concealed handgun license (CHL) holders are allowed to carry their firearms.

Governor Abbott is a strong supporter of our Second Amendment rights. The governor looks forward to watching bills on this subject work their way through the Texas Legislature, and he will sign legislation that reaches his desk for approval that expands Second Amendment rights in Texas.

If you haven’t already, you may want to contact your state legislators to ensure your perspective is taken into account as the 84th Legislative Session progresses. You can reach them by calling the Capitol Switchboard at (512) 463-4630 or visiting the Texas Legislature’s website.

Please let us know if we can assist you in the future.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

cowhow
Posts in topic: 10

Post by cowhow »

RoyGBiv wrote:FWIW, I sent the Gov and my House rep an email asking them to get behind HB 308.

Stole some of Charles' language about "OC will be nice, but 308 will save lives."
That's a good idea. I did contact Collier and Burton earlier, but not the Gov. It's still a mystery to me why every CHL holder in Texas isn't beating down doors to get this bill passed. The sense I get is that not every CHL holder will use OC but we would all benefit from HB308. I realize it may have some sticking points for some, but there's no discussion or measurable movement of any kind at working toward a compromise to get it out of committee.

joelamosobadiah

Post by joelamosobadiah »

cowhow wrote:

That's a good idea. I did contact Collier and Burton earlier, but not the Gov. It's still a mystery to me why every CHL holder in Texas isn't beating down doors to get this bill passed. The sense I get is that not every CHL holder will use OC but we would all benefit from HB308. I realize it may have some sticking points for some, but there's no discussion or measurable movement of any kind at working toward a compromise to get it out of committee.
Without championing by groups like NRA or TSRA, etc., I doubt anybody that isn't on this forum or follows TFC would even know about the bill. It's definitely the best firearms bill in the works. Especially since I work in places I can't carry that this bill would clear up!

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

cowhow wrote:

A major reason is that Charles keeps us informed when it's helpful to start making calls. He gives us a "call to action". This bill is very important to him and he knows the inside workings in Austin and what's going on. I asked him if it would help for us to start making calls and he said if/when the time comes, he'll put out a call to action.

mr1337
Posts in topic: 14

Post by mr1337 »

jerry_r60 wrote:A major reason is that Charles keeps us informed when it's helpful to start making calls. He gives us a "call to action". This bill is very important to him and he knows the inside workings in Austin and what's going on. I asked him if it would help for us to start making calls and he said if/when the time comes, he'll put out a call to action.
Aye, I was thinking about that this morning as well after seeing some of the comments, but I figured that Charles would let us know if and when we need to act, in order to be most effective.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

joelamosobadiah

mr1337 wrote:
jerry_r60 wrote:A major reason is that Charles keeps us informed when it's helpful to start making calls. He gives us a "call to action". This bill is very important to him and he knows the inside workings in Austin and what's going on. I asked him if it would help for us to start making calls and he said if/when the time comes, he'll put out a call to action.
Aye, I was thinking about that this morning as well after seeing some of the comments, but I figured that Charles would let us know if and when we need to act, in order to be most effective.
Judging from Charles' comments and reading between the lines a little if/when campus carry and open carry are moved through the process sufficiently to push this without distracting or taking political capital from the other bills, this will be pushed if it can be. We have seen this formula in past sessions with late pushes when other initiatives are finished.

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by v7a »

Did anyone watch the committee hearing today? Any interesting testimony?

joelamosobadiah

v7a wrote:Did anyone watch the committee hearing today? Any interesting testimony?
That shows it was left pending a month ago... Did they have more testimony today?

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by v7a »

joelamosobadiah wrote:
v7a wrote:Did anyone watch the committee hearing today? Any interesting testimony?
That shows it was left pending a month ago... Did they have more testimony today?
Oops. I saw a comment somewhere earlier claiming it was heard in committee today. I checked the bill page and saw the date 24 :woohoo and completely overlooked the month :(

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NotRPB »

HB 308 Committee Substitute
voted out of Homeland Security & Public Safety committee this morning 6 to 3

SEVERAL Other Firearms/Gun/House of Worship bills voted out of committee this morning
Either sent to floor or Calendars Committee

#txlege
https://twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q=txlege&src=savs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@_PatJohnson_ 9m9 minutes ago
#TXLEGE Difference in #Texas and #Paris we had guns #JeSuisCharlie #JeSuisGarland #Gunrights #SelfDefense #Rights

‏@_PatJohnson_ 13m13 minutes ago
#TXLEGE IF NOTHING ELSE. ELIMINATE DEFENSELESS VICTIM ZONES learn from last week,takes a gun to stop a bad gunman #SelfDefense #CampusCarry

Thank you

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RHenriksen »

Wow, that's great news! Which other bills?
NotRPB wrote:HB 308 Committee Substitute
voted out of Homeland Security & Public Safety committee this morning 6 to 3

SEVERAL Other Firearms/Gun/House of Worship bills voted out of committee this morning
Either sent to floor or Calendars Committee

#txlege
https://twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q=txlege&src=savs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@_PatJohnson_ 9m9 minutes ago
#TXLEGE Difference in #Texas and #Paris we had guns #JeSuisCharlie #JeSuisGarland #Gunrights #SelfDefense #Rights

‏@_PatJohnson_ 13m13 minutes ago
#TXLEGE IF NOTHING ELSE. ELIMINATE DEFENSELESS VICTIM ZONES learn from last week,takes a gun to stop a bad gunman #SelfDefense #CampusCarry

Thank you
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”