HB 910 & 937 Scheduled for Hearing

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

CJD
Posts in topic: 2

Re: HB 910 & 937 Scheduled for Hearing

Post by CJD »

HB 910: Placed on General State Calendar.

Hopefully they get moving on SB17.

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RHenriksen »

CJD wrote:HB 910: Placed on General State Calendar.

What does it mean for something to be placed on the general state calendar?
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by v7a »

Daily House Calendar - Tuesday, April 14, 2015
********** GENERAL STATE CALENDAR **********
HOUSE BILLS
SECOND READING

HB 910 Phillips / Flynn / White, James / Riddle / Guillen / et al.

Relating to the authority of a person who is licensed to carry a handgun to openly carry a holstered handgun; creating a criminal offense; providing penalties; amending provisions subject to a criminal penalty.

v7a
Banned

Post by v7a »

What happens if SB17 hasn't been referred to and passed out of the House committee by Tuesday (thus preventing HB910 being substituted with SB17 on the floor)? Will the House just go ahead and vote on HB910 and then the Senate will have to take up and vote on HB910?

Topic author
Srnewby

Post by Srnewby »

v7a wrote:What happens if SB17 hasn't been referred to and passed out of the House committee by Tuesday (thus preventing HB910 being substituted with SB17 on the floor)? Will the House just go ahead and vote on HB910 and then the Senate will have to take up and vote on HB910?
Also, if SB17 doesn't get far enough in the House to be substituted for HB 910 and HB 910 passes, does HB 910 need to go through the Senate State Affairs Committee before it can be voted on on the floor of the Senate? What is the current thinking of the experts on the forum on how things will play out relative to OC based on this latest info?

v7a
Banned

Post by v7a »

Lege Lines: Guns vs. Business, Strange Bedfellows, and More
The grim reality is that gun control advocates expect that the open carry rules in Senate Bill 17 will pass, and that Speaker Joe Straus will not get in its way (in part, as a sop to gun groups for when the House kills the wildly unpopular campus carry).
Of course, that doesn't make any sense. Unlike Open Carry, Campus Carry has 47-45 favorable-unfavorable polling (UT/Texas Tribune poll). So if anything it's Campus Carry that would pass and Open Carry gets sabotaged.

(Perhaps what they really mean is wildly unpopular with Straus, as opposed to the public).

jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jerry_r60 »

RHenriksen wrote:

I believe that means it's scheduled for the full house session rather than just on a particular committee's calendar and past the calendar's committee.

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RHenriksen »

jerry_r60 wrote:
RHenriksen wrote:

I believe that means it's scheduled for the full house session rather than just on a particular committee's calendar and past the calendar's committee.
that's what I was hoping for, but don't want to assume
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

v7a wrote:What happens if SB17 hasn't been referred to and passed out of the House committee by Tuesday (thus preventing HB910 being substituted with SB17 on the floor)? Will the House just go ahead and vote on HB910 and then the Senate will have to take up and vote on HB910?
Yes, HB 910 would go to the Senate and start the process there (first reading and assignment to committee, abbreviated hearing, placement on the intent calendar, suspension of the rules, floor vote, etc).

To the best of my knowledge, the Senate (unlike the House) is still required to hold a committee hearing on a House bill for which they've already heard a similar Senate bill; however, Chairwoman Huffman has the power to make it a very short hearing.

juno106

HB 937 Call to Action

Post by juno106 »

(Perhaps what they really mean is wildly unpopular with Straus, as opposed to the public).
Seems like it is not just TX where a single politician is going to kill Campus Carry:

Fl Campus Carry Stalled In Senate Committee, Attempt To Run Out The Clock on the Bill
The Judiciary Committee Chair, Senator Miguel Diaz de la Portilla refuses to calendar the campus carry bill.

I guess that is why here in Texas, TSRA just issued this Call to Action:
"You need to be aware of a disturbing new development surrounding SB 11 and HB 937, the campus carry bills currently pending in the Texas House of Representatives. Even if you don’t have a Concealed Handgun License, even if you rarely – if ever – find yourself in a college setting, or even if this issue just hasn’t been a priority for you in the past, you should pay attention now. Because what happens with these bills could impact the future of our Second Amendment rights in the Lone Star State.

Everytown for Gun Safety is former New York City mayor and big government-loving billionaire Michael Bloomberg’s faux grassroots gun control group. Borrowing from the playbook of Battleground Texas – the unsuccessful national effort by former Obama campaign operatives to make us a “swing state” last election cycle – they are dumping resources from outside Texas into our state to launch a misinformation campaign via television ads and social media against SB 11 and HB 937.

These bills are not – as Everytown claims in their deceptive ads – about creating an army of underage students packing heat in backpacks and bringing guns to classrooms. According to the Texas Department of Public Safety, in 2014, less than 6% of the more than 246,000 CHLs issued or renewed were to individuals between the ages of 21-25. These bills are about giving adult faculty, staff and non-traditional students who are 21 years of age or older, who have passed a state and federal criminal records check, and who successfully completed classroom and range training and been issued a license by DPS, a personal protection option on the campuses where they live, work or study.

During the years in which the Legislature has debated but failed to pass campus carry legislation, there have been high-profile shootings covered by the national media at the University of Texas at Austin and bordering the Texas A&M campus in College Station. There were also stabbings at Lone Star College’s Cy-Fair campus in which more than a dozen people were wounded. These so-called 'gun-free zones' only serve to disarm law-abiding citizens and render them defenseless against violent criminals.

If Bloomberg and his gun control version of Battleground Texas succeed in defeating these bills, he will double-down and begin to lay the groundwork for future efforts to gut Texas’ carry laws and enact restrictions on private gun sales and possession of ammunition magazines, like he did in Colorado. So if you are a freedom-loving, Second Amendment supporter, these bills do impact you!

Contact House leadership as well as your lawmakers and urge them to pass SB 11/HB 937 this session. Tell them to support adult CHLs who have a 20-year record of law-abiding and responsible behavior and to stand up to New York liberal Michael Bloomberg and his anti-gun agenda in Texas."

Click here to Email House Speaker Joe Straus
You can also contact his office by telephone at: 512-463-1000.

Contact information for House Members can be found by clicking here

To find out who your State Representative is, click here.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

All along in the back if my mind I've been thinking of Joe Straus' close ties to the UT System leaders and the cronies that continue to make big bucks from the system and all the bond money. I've always thought campus carry was a long shot regardless what rating Straus had from the NRA or what he says publicly. I think this is another case of follow the money.

I hope I'm wrong but it seems more like Straus and his cronies are going to make sure campus carry and reduction in prohibited places dies before ever getting to the floor for a vote.

Where's the flaw in my thinking? I'm open to other views.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

mojo84 wrote:All along in the back if my mind I've been thinking of Joe Straus' close ties to the UT System leaders and the cronies that continue to make big bucks from the system and all the bond money. I've always thought campus carry was a long shot regardless what rating Straus had from the NRA or what he says publicly. I think this is another case of follow the money.

I hope I'm wrong but it seems more like Straus and his cronies are going to make sure campus carry and reduction in prohibited places dies before ever getting to the floor for a vote.

Where's the flaw in my thinking? I'm open to other views.
:iagree:
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

J.R.@A&M

Re: HB 937 Call to Action

Post by J.R.@A&M »

juno106 wrote:

I guess that is why here in Texas, TSRA just issued this Call to Action:
"You need to be aware of a disturbing new development surrounding SB 11 and HB 937, the campus carry bills currently pending in the Texas House of Representatives. Even if you don’t have a Concealed Handgun License, even if you rarely – if ever – find yourself in a college setting, or even if this issue just hasn’t been a priority for you in the past, you should pay attention now. Because what happens with these bills could impact the future of our Second Amendment rights in the Lone Star State.

Everytown for Gun Safety is former New York City mayor and big government-loving billionaire Michael Bloomberg’s faux grassroots gun control group. Borrowing from the playbook of Battleground Texas – the unsuccessful national effort by former Obama campaign operatives to make us a “swing state” last election cycle – they are dumping resources from outside Texas into our state to launch a misinformation campaign via television ads and social media against SB 11 and HB 937.

These bills are not – as Everytown claims in their deceptive ads – about creating an army of underage students packing heat in backpacks and bringing guns to classrooms. According to the Texas Department of Public Safety, in 2014, less than 6% of the more than 246,000 CHLs issued or renewed were to individuals between the ages of 21-25. These bills are about giving adult faculty, staff and non-traditional students who are 21 years of age or older, who have passed a state and federal criminal records check, and who successfully completed classroom and range training and been issued a license by DPS, a personal protection option on the campuses where they live, work or study.

During the years in which the Legislature has debated but failed to pass campus carry legislation, there have been high-profile shootings covered by the national media at the University of Texas at Austin and bordering the Texas A&M campus in College Station. There were also stabbings at Lone Star College’s Cy-Fair campus in which more than a dozen people were wounded. These so-called 'gun-free zones' only serve to disarm law-abiding citizens and render them defenseless against violent criminals.

If Bloomberg and his gun control version of Battleground Texas succeed in defeating these bills, he will double-down and begin to lay the groundwork for future efforts to gut Texas’ carry laws and enact restrictions on private gun sales and possession of ammunition magazines, like he did in Colorado. So if you are a freedom-loving, Second Amendment supporter, these bills do impact you!

Contact House leadership as well as your lawmakers and urge them to pass SB 11/HB 937 this session. Tell them to support adult CHLs who have a 20-year record of law-abiding and responsible behavior and to stand up to New York liberal Michael Bloomberg and his anti-gun agenda in Texas."

Click here to Email House Speaker Joe Straus
You can also contact his office by telephone at: 512-463-1000.

Contact information for House Members can be found by clicking here

To find out who your State Representative is, click here.
Faxes sent to House Calendars on behalf of HB 937. Also to my rep (who happens to be Fletcher).
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Point of order was sustained.

Ummmm.....

:shock:

What does this mean for HB910?
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”