Campus Carry revived, attached to open carry

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Ruark
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Campus Carry revived, attached to open carry

Post by Ruark »

mojo84 wrote:Buying into empty legislation that doesn't do what was promised is much of the reason we, as a country, are in the condition we are in.
Indeed, it sometimes seems like the American people collectively lose their ability to think rationally during an election. Remember "Read my lips - no new taxes"? Remember Perry's "property tax relief"? "If you like your doctor, you can keep him"? This is just more of the same. It's just a carrot on a stick to get voters. Politicians have been doing it since elections were invented.
-Ruark

TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by TXBO »

Ruark wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Buying into empty legislation that doesn't do what was promised is much of the reason we, as a country, are in the condition we are in.
Indeed, it sometimes seems like the American people collectively lose their ability to think rationally during an election. Remember "Read my lips - no new taxes"? Remember Perry's "property tax relief"? "If you like your doctor, you can keep him"? This is just more of the same. It's just a carrot on a stick to get voters. Politicians have been doing it since elections were invented.
If it's "empty legislation", that could be the problem.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 21

Post by mojo84 »

I agree and that's why I'm frustrated at Patrick for stalling everything else over such. His ego won't allow him to realize the house plan is a better plan.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ScooterSissy »

mojo84 wrote:
TXBO wrote:
v7a wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:It will be no different if HB910 is amended in the Senate -- but don't hold your breath waiting for Patrick to help.
I realize you might not be able to clarify that until after the session has ended, but I see two possible interpretations of that:

1. If the spat between House and Senate doesn't get resolved soon there won't be enough time to amend HB910 and get it through concurrence vote in the House
2. Patrick wants to pass HB910 without any amendments so that he gets credit for getting Open Carry to the governor (versus House getting credit for Open Carry AND Campus Carry)
Patrick wants a reduction in property tax.
Unfortunately, what he is pushing isn't going to work in my opinion. Rates and appraisals will be increased to offset the increased homestead exemption.

Maybe in missing something.
My understanding is that any increase in tax rates would have to be approved by 60% under the new bill. Most appraisals already increase at the max allowed by the state, so they would not be able to increase any more.

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 7

Post by LSUTiger »

safety1 wrote:Cross posted in "General CHL Discussion"

SENATE

NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING

COMMITTEE: State Affairs

TIME & DATE: 9:00 AM, Monday, May 18, 2015

PLACE: Senate Chamber
CHAIR: Senator Joan Huffman

To consider the following:

HB 910 Phillips | et al. SP: Estes
Relating to the authority of a person who is licensed to carry a handgun to openly carry a holstered handgun; creating a criminal offense; providing penalties; amending provisions subject to a criminal penalty.

FYI
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 3

Post by treadlightly »

Because of rent property, my annual property tax bill has been running about $18,000 a year, of which a large slice comes out of my 8-5 wages.

Local school district in my sparse county just passed a $15.5 million bond issue. Around $6 million was for football and contingency funds.

The lion's share of my tax bills is for school taxes, and that portion of my bill will go up by about 30%. If my shell-shocked math is with me, my next year's property tax bill will go up by about $3,000 a year, up to about $21,000. The extra three grand will be straight out of my 8-5 take home pay.

Fortunately, I already bought a P320 and a seductively sweet Kimber that will do anything I ask except miss.

Just after universal, basic rights issues, I'm all for property tax relief, just as soon as my citizenship is propped up. Campus carry, open carry, whatever can be reasonably done first, then we can talk about administrative issues like tax.

My reasoning is that if the colonists had reasoned with the British to repeal the Stamp Act, but at the cost of their militia and privately owned weapons, there would be no America.

I know. I sound like a kook. I'm harmless, I promise. Ease my property tax, ignore my gun. It will never speak unless spoken to.

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

treadlightly wrote:Because of rent property, my annual property tax bill has been running about $18,000 a year, of which a large slice comes out of my 8-5 wages.

Local school district in my sparse county just passed a $15.5 million bond issue. Around $6 million was for football and contingency funds.

The lion's share of my tax bills is for school taxes, and that portion of my bill will go up by about 30%. If my shell-shocked math is with me, my next year's property tax bill will go up by about $3,000 a year, up to about $21,000. The extra three grand will be straight out of my 8-5 take home pay.

Fortunately, I already bought a P320 and a seductively sweet Kimber that will do anything I ask except miss.

Just after universal, basic rights issues, I'm all for property tax relief, just as soon as my citizenship is propped up. Campus carry, open carry, whatever can be reasonably done first, then we can talk about administrative issues like tax.

My reasoning is that if the colonists had reasoned with the British to repeal the Stamp Act, but at the cost of their militia and privately owned weapons, there would be no America.

I know. I sound like a kook. I'm harmless, I promise. Ease my property tax, ignore my gun. It will never speak unless spoken to.
While I agree with your sentiment, I'll point out one small difference in the comparison to the colonists and your tax bill.

Your fellow citizens voted for that particular tax increase.

Truth be told, if you're like most areas, the problem wasn't with those that were for the tax increase (bond), but rather those who didn't bother to show up. That's my biggest complaint about bond issues, the second is that the city/school district can use government funds to push the issue.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Your fellow citizens voted for that particular tax increase.
Yeah. I know, but they are good people. Heck, they'd give you the shirt right off my back if you asked 'em.

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jasonw560 »

SB 11 reported favorably w/o amendments.

Movement on this one, too.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

safety1
Posts in topic: 40

Post by safety1 »

Jasonw560 wrote:SB 11 reported favorably w/o amendments.

Movement on this one, too.
wonderful :anamatedbanana
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

"Reported favorably w/o amendments"

Now to Calendars.... :roll:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

DocV
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DocV »

[youtube][/youtube]
My bet is the Senate by a nose.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oohrah »

DocV, I hope you're right, but I'm not holding my breath.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Looks like they're working late tonight.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Bladed
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Bladed »

C-dub wrote:Looks like they're working late tonight.
They'll go until at least midnight.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”