Sen. Huffines is killing HB910

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

juno106
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Sen. Huffines is killing HB910

Post by juno106 »

I appreciate all of your hard work and effort, and understand there are things which you can not fully discuss in the open.

My understanding, and even though I was at the capitol on an almost daily basis last week I certainly can be mistaken, is that the ONLY reason SB11 was not ALSO attached to HB910, was that the House was going to honor a commitment to pass SB11 as a standalone.

If there is/was any fear that the House will reneg, and refuse to pass SB11, then an argument could be made that the mistake was in not allowing SB11 to also be attached as an amendment to HB910, and forcing a recorded vote of just who was for and against the combined HB910/SB11 Bill.

I could be very wrong, but my impression is that an amended HB910 with both the Huffines and SB11 amendments would have passed the full Senate, and a concurrence vote from the House.

Charles L. Cotton wrote:You are assuming that the Dutton amendment had no impact on the support of HB910 with that provision. I can't say more at this point, but it doesn't take much reading between the lines to get the picture. It's understandable that people would make this assumption, but that doesn't change the facts.

The Huffines amendment has put two Bills in jeopardy.

Chas.

Tracker
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Tracker »

If Huffines was acting as a periha why hold the other reps accountable and kill one or the other of both bills?

Kkpsiknl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kkpsiknl »

On a side note, I visited the Capitol for the first time today after receiving my chl. Man is it great not to wait in line. Show license, swipe license, go right in.

safety1
Posts in topic: 44

Post by safety1 »

Tracker wrote:If Huffines was acting as a periha why hold the other reps accountable and kill one or the other of both bills?
Let's hope they don't kill either bill over it, but on that thought. Why not pass them and if the amendment proves problematic remove it in the
future. We always talk about taking baby steps so lets take this giant step, if it don't work...remove it!
I don't have statists nor can I quote other state law but I'm sure other states have already dealt with a Huffines like amend.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 29

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

juno106 wrote:My understanding, and even though I was at the capitol on an almost daily basis last week I certainly can be mistaken, is that the ONLY reason SB11 was not ALSO attached to HB910, was that the House was going to honor a commitment to pass SB11 as a standalone.
You are absolutely right.

Chas.

safety1

Post by safety1 »

safety1 wrote:
Tracker wrote:If Huffines was acting as a periha why hold the other reps accountable and kill one or the other of both bills?
Let's hope they don't kill either bill over it, but on that thought. Why not pass them and if the amendment proves problematic remove it in the
future. We always talk about taking baby steps so lets take this giant step, if it don't work...remove it!
I don't have statists nor can I quote other state law but I'm sure other states have already dealt with a Huffines like amend.

Charles, could we see the legislators willing to take this step and if it becomes a issue, remove it later....for the sake of the progress we have made.
Since the 4th amend. already provides some of the protections the that have been unnecessarily added with the Dutton amend.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 31

Post by TXBO »

The main problem with Huffines/Dutton amendment is that some in power view it as precedent to other profiling legislation.

safety1

Post by safety1 »

TXBO wrote:The main problem with Huffines/Dutton amendment is that some in power view it as precedent to other profiling legislation.
I thought was already had laws regarding profiling? What in particular are you thinking that may come to pass as a result
NRA - Life Member

safety1

Post by safety1 »

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_2818 ... nt-banning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting!

The bill is headed back to the House, where its original author on Sunday said he will concur with the changes made in the Senate. Many Republicans are afraid of primary challenges from their right, so they seem likely to go along with Rep. Larry Phillips, R-Sherman, the author of House Bill 910 .
NRA - Life Member

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

safety1 wrote:
TXBO wrote:The main problem with Huffines/Dutton amendment is that some in power view it as precedent to other profiling legislation.
I thought was already had laws regarding profiling? What in particular are you thinking that may come to pass as a result
It's not what I think. Some feel it will open Pandora's box to future profiling legislation. That's all I've heard.

gljjt
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gljjt »

I am completely confused. Can someone summarize what is required to get HB910 passed, from its current status, and a guess as to how likely that is to happen.

Thanks!!!

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

safety1 wrote:http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_2818 ... nt-banning

Interesting!

The bill is headed back to the House, where its original author on Sunday said he will concur with the changes made in the Senate. Many Republicans are afraid of primary challenges from their right, so they seem likely to go along with Rep. Larry Phillips, R-Sherman, the author of House Bill 910 .
I have tremendous respect for Rep. Phillips. Had he felt that Dutton would jeopardize 910, I'm certain he would have moved to table and the body would vote with him.

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

The Senate and the House can grump all they want about Huffine and his inept stubborness, but if OC and Campus Carry don't pass, the blame will be on Republicans, particularly Republican leadership, not just one Senator. They have had plenty of time this session to pass both of these bills, they trumpeted support early on, passed nearly identical bills...then let them sit while they squabbled. The reason we are up against the end-of-session wall now is not because of Dutton or Huffines.

And this over an amendment that basically just restated a constitutional principle, as the Senate Committee own analysis stated! The report justified removing the Dutton amendment by saying the language was redundant and therefore didn't matter -- which also means that leaving it in doesn't matter either! Or did the committee lie?

Grisham et al claimed early on that many of the Republicans in both chambers were squishy on the 2A -- it sounds like there is a good chance they will prove him right, and this is a stick that he will beat them with long and loud. (BTW, this is not something I look forward too, I did not support OCT and OCTCs antics).

Republican legislators better realize, they all own this, however it turns out. It doesn't matter how many other lesser gun bills pass, OC and Campus Carry are the battle flags, and if they fall it is a major defeat for 2A supporters and a major win for MDA and their ilk.
USAF 1982-2005

safety1

Post by safety1 »

gljjt wrote:I am completely confused. Can someone summarize what is required to get HB910 passed, from its current status, and a guess as to how likely that is to happen.

Thanks!!!
A concurrence vote in the House. Up or down vote, yay or nay. Then to the Govs. desk.
If the House does not concur, it would go to a Conference Committee.

Depends who you ask on the "how likely" part.
There is a wide variety of opinions right here on the forum.
NRA - Life Member

safety1

Post by safety1 »

ELB wrote:The Senate and the House can grump all they want about Huffine and his inept stubborness, but if OC and Campus Carry don't pass, the blame will be on Republicans, particularly Republican leadership, not just one Senator. They have had plenty of time this session to pass both of these bills, they trumpeted support early on, passed nearly identical bills...then let them sit while they squabbled. The reason we are up against the end-of-session wall now is not because of Dutton or Huffines.

And this over an amendment that basically just restated a constitutional principle, as the Senate Committee own analysis stated! The report justified removing the Dutton amendment by saying the language was redundant and therefore didn't matter -- which also means that leaving it in doesn't matter either! Or did the committee lie?

Grisham et al claimed early on that many of the Republicans in both chambers were squishy on the 2A -- it sounds like there is a good chance they will prove him right, and this is a stick that he will beat them with long and loud. (BTW, this is not something I look forward too, I did not support OCT and OCTCs antics).

Republican legislators better realize, they all own this, however it turns out. It doesn't matter how many other lesser gun bills pass, OC and Campus Carry are the battle flags, and if they fall it is a major defeat for 2A supporters and a major win for MDA and their ilk.
:iagree: 100%, I to do not support OCT & OCTCs antics.....and you are right the Republicans own this.
NRA - Life Member

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”