SB 17 about to go to the Senate Floor - Amendments?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

joe817
Posts in topic: 21

Re: SB 17 about to go to the Senate Floor - Amendments?

Post by joe817 »

Ruark wrote:
joe817 wrote:My screen froze at 1:26:51. (sigh). Even tried rebooting. Anyone else having screen freezes?
Mine kept freezing in Firefox and Chrome, but it works fine in Internet Explorer. I never use IE, normally, but sometimes it's a good standby.
Thanks for the tip! Gonna try that. :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

mojo84
Posts in topic: 13

Post by mojo84 »

Glad they got that piece of important business to recognize Viva San Antonio taken care of so Henry Cisneros could get some more face time.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

It's a noble endeavor to honor and/or recognize everything under the sun. It sure takes up precious Senate time. Could this be some sort of "backdoor veiled attempt at a filibuster" to prevent needed legislation presented and debated on the floor?
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I think it's as simple as over inflated egos grandstanding and kissing up.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Another long productive day completed by the Texas State senate.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

mojo84 wrote:Another long productive day completed by the Texas State senate.
:iagree: Much to do about nothing. Maybe tomorrow. Same bat time....same bat channel. :totap:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Ruark
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Ruark »

Wow. Why can't I get a job like that?
-Ruark

mr1337
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mr1337 »

Ruark wrote:Wow. Why can't I get a job like that?
Depends. How rich are you?
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

ELB
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ELB »

Lighten up. The less time they spend passing actual laws (as opposed to recognition fluff or nothing at all), the better off we will be, generally speaking.

I'll wager that most of the work of the legislature is done in informal groups and face-to-face in the offices and hallways, and in the 18 months or so between legislatures. What happens on the floor is the end result of that. By the end of the legislature, they will be going far in to the night, and it won't look like so much fun then.

Mostly unrelated thought: Would be interesting to have a Special Session devoted just to repealing laws, no new stuff allowed. That would be interesting.
USAF 1982-2005

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by treadlightly »

Mostly unrelated thought: Would be interesting to have a Special Session devoted just to repealing laws, no new stuff allowed. That would be interesting.
I refer to the prescience and common sense of the eminent Professor De La Paz, who once said, "Let the legislators pass laws only with a two-thirds majority... while the repealers are able to cancel any law through a mere one-third minority. Preposterous? Think about it. If a bill is so poor that it cannot command two-thirds of your consents, is it not likely that it would make a poor law? And if a law is disliked by as many as one-third is it not likely that you would be better off without it?"

The key, of course, would not be to pass laws allowing freedom, but to repeal laws prohibiting it.

De La Paz was a fair dinkum thinker, as was his brother-in-arms, Mycroft.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Ruark »

Here we go again. Holy Hannah, how many of these freaking "resolutions" are there? And what's more, nobody's even listening to them! I feel sorry for some of those groups being honored with special recognition that drove all the way across Texas in this weather, only to be ignored - people standing around talking right in front of them (what few that were there), etc.

They're supposed to get to SB17 today:

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 150225.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Never mind. Whitmire moved to adjourn until 2pm Monday. Enough "work" for today. :banghead:
-Ruark

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Hopefully they are nearing the end of the recognition/acknowledging/congratulating/celebrating/welcoming, etc,etc,etc ad nauseum events and get on to "legislation". :totap:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

ronin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ronin »

joe817 wrote:It's a noble endeavor to honor and/or recognize everything under the sun. It sure takes up precious Senate time. Could this be some sort of "backdoor veiled attempt at a filibuster" to prevent needed legislation presented and debated on the floor?
At the end of the session when the liars say "there wasn't time" to pass this bill or that bill, don't be fooled. Think back and remember the truth, especially when you get to vote on their next career moove. :txflag:

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”