HB910/SB17 standoff

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

safety1
Posts in topic: 15

Re: HB910/SB17 standoff

Post by safety1 »

Ruark wrote:Two things:

1. If this is getting to be like two brats fighting on the playground, maybe it's time for Abbott to step in. I've read that he prefers to let the legislature work, and not meddle excessively with things, but if it gets to a certain point, he might need to come in and break some jaws.

2. Hopefully, it will be clearly communicated to Mutt and Jeff that whatever they decide, it will NOT be forgotten at election time.

At this point, should we still wait for a CTA, or should we saddle up and ride in?
I'm wondering on the CTA also, are we already to late. TSRA already posted urgent msg, giving links to
call. Idk :confused5
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

safety1

Post by safety1 »

Cross posted in "General CHL Discussion"

SENATE

NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING

COMMITTEE: State Affairs

TIME & DATE: 9:00 AM, Monday, May 18, 2015

PLACE: Senate Chamber
CHAIR: Senator Joan Huffman

To consider the following:

HB 910 Phillips | et al. SP: Estes
Relating to the authority of a person who is licensed to carry a handgun to openly carry a holstered handgun; creating a criminal offense; providing penalties; amending provisions subject to a criminal penalty.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

safety1

Post by safety1 »

Thought I heard them say SB17 will be herd in committee on Monday afternoon. Anyone else catch that?
NRA - Life Member

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by joe817 »

safety1 wrote:Thought I heard them say SB17 will be herd in committee on Monday afternoon. Anyone else catch that?
I can find nothing on Texas Legislature Online that says that SB 17 is scheduled to be heard by Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee, where it's been referred to, and been there since May 5. In fact, I can't see that they are scheduled to meet at all next week.

BUT.....HB 910 IS scheduled on the Senate State Affairs Committee for Monday, May 18. And it's a public meeting.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 809001.HTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

safety1

Post by safety1 »

joe817 wrote:
safety1 wrote:Thought I heard them say SB17 will be herd in committee on Monday afternoon. Anyone else catch that?
I can find nothing on Texas Legislature Online that says that SB 17 is scheduled to be heard by Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee, where it's been referred to, and been there since May 5. In fact, I can't see that they are scheduled to meet at all next week.

BUT.....HB 910 IS scheduled on the Senate State Affairs Committee for Monday, May 18. And it's a public meeting.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 809001.HTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It was in an announcement on the floor, I'm not sure if that was that they said or not....but I thought I heard SB17.
NRA - Life Member

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by joe817 »

safety1 wrote:It was in an announcement on the floor, I'm not sure if that was that they said or not....but I thought I heard SB17.
Well I sure hope you did! And I think anything is possible now that time's running out. I wouldn't be at all surprised if UN-annouced meetings were taking place.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by NotRPB »

cross post

‏Per> @chucklindell now50 seconds ago

#HB910 will be substituted to REMOVE House amendment banning police stops solely to check CHL for open carry, @EstesForTexas says. #txlege

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mojo84 »

NotRPB wrote:cross post

#HB910 will be substituted to REMOVE House amendment banning police stops solely to check CHL for open carry, @EstesForTexas says. #txlege

That's just a feel good step to get things moving and so the anti gun progressives can say they had some effect to protect their poor constituents by allowing the police to check on those bad gun open carriers. Appealing to the low information voters again.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

safety1

Post by safety1 »

NotRPB wrote:cross post

Figured this was coming...and I'm ok with it. if you are not doing anything wrong, what does it matter?
NRA - Life Member

mikeloc
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mikeloc »

I'm not okay with it. This is not a police state.

safety1

Post by safety1 »

Deleted
Last edited by safety1 on Mon May 18, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA - Life Member

safety1

Post by safety1 »

If this happens, does HB910 go back to the House for a simple concurrence vote, up/down...bam,done off to Gov. Abbott's desk??
NRA - Life Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

safety1 wrote:
mikeloc wrote:I'm not okay with it. This is not a police state.
:iagree:
Then tell Stickland and OCT thanks for publicly claiming the Dutton/Rinaldi Amendment essentially created unlicensed open-carry.

Stripping that amendment will have no impact on policing. Either the 5th Circuit will adopt the Black decision or it will not. That's what will make the determination. Even then, it's very easy to add one more fact to the scenario to get beyond the prohibition on detaining someone solely because they are openly carrying a handgun.

[venting]Folks, there was a strong push for some legal of retention holster and that was avoided. The was a far less likely push for some type of visible CHL identification, and that too was avoided. I would have hoped that, by now, the all-or-nothing approach would have been recognized for what it is -- a pipe dream. I will renew my question from two years ago, "was the push for open-carry really worth it?" My answer is a resounding NO! It was far too expensive. It will have been a symbolic victory with very little practical application for all but the tiny percentage of gun owners. The battle cost us other bills that impact countless Texans, including some that were not even filed.[/venting]

Chas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I wish OCT hadn't blocked me. I could have some fun with this.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”