SB 718 Introduced. Relating to firearm purchase permit.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
K5GU
Posts in topic: 17

SB 718 Introduced. Relating to firearm purchase permit.

Post by K5GU »

A new bill to create more work for the Texas DPS. Referred to State Affairs on 03-02-2015.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=SB718" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life is good.

jmra
Posts in topic: 9

Re: SB 718 Introduced. Relating to firearm purchase permit.

Post by jmra »

What a total waste of time and effort.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

jmra wrote:What a total waste of time and effort.
The State Affairs meeting and discussion on this one should be 'entertaining' at least. I'm not sure what the intent of a new 'firearms purchaser's permit' for a handgun is other than maybe in the unlikely case an unlicensed carry bill gets enacted the permit would act similar to showing the FFL your CHL license, which currently speeds up the purchase process.
Life is good.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

Maybe they should ask Michigan why it recently enacted a law that repeals the whole handgun registration/permit process as they realized after 40 or 50 years that it was a total waste of time and money.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

Right. I don't think we need registration, which can develop into an expensive and mismanaged administrative nightmare. But I do think the purchase of any firearm or lethal weapon needs at least a criminal background check. I would also like to see more (enhanced) firearm management education for firearm owners to attempt to lower the chance of accidental discharges, but I guess that's for another thread?
Life is good.

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by steveincowtown »

K5GU wrote:Right. I don't think we need registration, which can develop into an expensive and mismanaged administrative nightmare. But I do think the purchase of any firearm or lethal weapon needs at least a criminal background check. I would also like to see more (enhanced) firearm management education for firearm owners to attempt to lower the chance of accidental discharges, but I guess that's for another thread?
Why stop at universal background checks for guns? What about chainsaws?
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

K5GU wrote:Right. I don't think we need registration, which can develop into an expensive and mismanaged administrative nightmare. But I do think the purchase of any firearm or lethal weapon needs at least a criminal background check. I would also like to see more (enhanced) firearm management education for firearm owners to attempt to lower the chance of accidental discharges, but I guess that's for another thread?
Bull! Making things more and more inconvenient for law abiding citizens has never worked and never will. Making me go through a background check will have exactly zero effect on a criminal getting a gun. It won't even slow him down, but he might laugh as more and more money is wasted on such stupid efforts.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

jmra

Post by jmra »

Pawpaw wrote:
Bull! Making things more and more inconvenient for law abiding citizens has never worked and never will. Making me go through a background check will have exactly zero effect on a criminal getting a gun. It won't even slow him down, but he might laugh as more and more money is wasted on such stupid efforts.
:iagree:
Background checks only affect the actions of law abiding citizens.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

Pawpaw wrote:
Okay. So you don't believe there should be a background check when you purchase and then carry a handgun?
Life is good.

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

steveincowtown wrote:
Why stop at universal background checks for guns? What about chainsaws?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we already have background checks for purchasing and/or carrying handguns. I'd have to check the chainsaw forums before commenting. :???:
Life is good.

jmra

Post by jmra »

K5GU wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
Okay. So you don't believe there should be a background check when you purchase and then carry a handgun?
Of course I don't believe that law abiding citizens should have to undergo background checks. Why should I?
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

K5GU wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
Nope. None. Nada. Zip.

From the founding of this country until 198-something, there were no restrictions AT ALL to buying a weapon. Background checks have done nothing to enhance security or safety in all the decades they have been law.

Gun control and background checks are not the answer. LtCol. Jeff Cooper knew what is needed:
Attachments
if-violent-crime-is-to-be-curbed-it-is-only-the-intended-victim-who-can-do-it.jpg
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 1

Post by treadlightly »

Words fail me.

I saw this purchase-license gem on returning home from a gun show. At the entrance of the gun show had been a tent marked "check all guns here."

"Last time I went to a gun show was a while back, and I'm not well informed on etiquette. By check "all" guns, do you include lawfully concealed handguns?"

"No problem, sir, just keep it concealed."

"My pleasure, and I appreciate your hospitality."

I have to say that gave me a rather nice feeling. Trusted on face value, something that reminded me of days when a clear eye and a firm handshake was a bond not to be disputed by finagling or whining.

And now I see some ninny wants to extend background checks to before the fact. Great. Get somebody converted to a fine sport and the first thing they have to do is go through weeks of delay.

And, worse, my sweetheart wants a .38 snubby. She shall have the weapon of her desires, but I'm not really a fan of .38 snubbies. They are fine protection and she would be well served by a gun that doesn't have a rough slide to challenge the delicate regal grip. It would conceal well for her.

But .38 snubbies are legal in California. I hate buying guns that are legal in California.

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

jmra wrote:
K5GU wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
Of course I don't believe that law abiding citizens should have to undergo background checks. Why should I?
Maybe I'm dumber than I should be and with all due respect, what other method could there be to determine if we are law-abiding citizens? This of course is in the context of a legitimate purchase from a federally regulated FFL, which is in place today.
Last edited by K5GU on Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is good.

jmra

Post by jmra »

K5GU wrote:
jmra wrote:
K5GU wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
Maybe I'm dumber than I should be and with all due respect, what other method could there be to determine if we are law-abiding citizens?
We are innocent until proven guilty. We as law abiding citizens shouldn't have to prove anything in order to exercise our God given right.
As for criminals carrying guns, when they are caught they should be removed from society for a very long time instead of being back on the street in a few months if that long.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”