How to Visit the Legislature this session?

This sub-forum will open on Sept. 1, 2018

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

How to Visit the Legislature this session?

Post by oohrah »

Now that I'm retired, I have the free time and I thought I would try and visit the legislature while it was in session this spring. Since I've never done this before, I was looking for some help on planning my visit:

1. Are there better times to go than others? I presume there is a calendar posted somewhere that shows what will be going on.

2. Best spots for handicapped parking? I'm not in a chair (yet) but I can't walk very far.

3. Can you just drop by your Reps office, or do they expect you to make an appointment?

4. I've read that if you are carrying when visiting the Capitol, you bypass the metal detectors. Does this apply when the lege is in session also?

Appreciate the help, and any personal experiences you'd like to share.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

ELB

Re: How to Visit the Legislature this session?

Post by ELB »

https://capitol.texas.gov/Home.aspx

This site is the Leg's website for keeping track of their doin's. If you dig around you will find calendars for when various committees meet and such. It's not completely illuminating, but it is a start.

You should call your local representative's and senator's offices and ask them for some pointers.
USAF 1982-2005

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

oohrah wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:17 am Now that I'm retired, I have the free time and I thought I would try and visit the legislature while it was in session this spring. Since I've never done this before, I was looking for some help on planning my visit:

1. Are there better times to go than others? I presume there is a calendar posted somewhere that shows what will be going on.
My Response: there are sometimes protests. There are also other groups, some of them large about which there is no advanced notice. It can be hit or miss.
2. Best spots for handicapped parking? I'm not in a chair (yet) but I can't walk very far.
Cannot help. The parking garage is a long way from the building and uphill as you go in. I don't know about closer in handicap parking
3. Can you just drop by your Reps office, or do they expect you to make an appointment?
I'm part of a group that regularly visits Reps offices. Some are more prepared for that than others. My own rep is pretty non-responsive and his staff is not very knowledgeable. I've gone in with a specific list of bills that I knew about and not a single person in the office could tell me anything. It isn't clear to me which are paid staff and which may be interns.
4. I've read that if you are carrying when visiting the Capitol, you bypass the metal detectors. Does this apply when the lege is in session also?
I've been in the House when it was in session and was carrying. There is a separate line to get in, clearly marked. You give the DPS officer your LTC, it is scanned to make sure it is current and you are on your way. I was with a female friend the last visit and she stood in a long line for her bag check while I breezed through. There were rumors of people getting LTCs just to pass the entrance lines.
During my last visit, I was a part of a fair sized group there on Tax Day. We were far outnumbered by a couple of other groups. I'm a lot more worried about wearing some of the things that I wear to be part of my groups and having to walk through others who might find them offensive than anything else. Just wearing civilian clothes without a message and staying clear of the bigger groups should make a visit go smoothly
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

oohrah wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:17 am 4. I've read that if you are carrying when visiting the Capitol, you bypass the metal detectors. Does this apply when the lege is in session also?

Yes. The last time I went while they were in session, you just go to the line for ltc holders and hand them your ltc.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”