This sub-forum will open on Sept. 1, 2018

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

HB 1471 - School Volunteer Security Program

Post by Papa_Tiger »

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... ill=HB1471

Allows schools to create a volunteer security program in which eligible veterans and retired law enforcement officers may provide volunteer security to the school. Volunteers may carry a handgun while performing their duties and are immune to civil liability to the same extent a school employee is. Volunteers are not subject to the rules governing private security.

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB 1471 - School Volunteer Security Program

Post by troglodyte »

Why just retired veterans and LEOs? The only eligibility is that they are veterans or LEOs. Hmmpphh. While I don't disagree with the idea, I'm not impressed with the execution. If we have to have something like this, open it up to any LTC that the school approves.

Ideally, open the campus to all LTCs but I do see the good reason for civil liability immunity and PSB exclusion if they are acting on behalf of the school.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”