Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
nitrogen
Posts in topic: 1

Weird "NO FIREARMS" sign at Bratonia Park, Princeton

Post by nitrogen »

Saw this sign over by the drone/RC area at Bratonia Park in Princeton:

I was open carrying at the time, and just put my stuff in my backpack "just in case."

I dont see any reason why this sign is legit, or would apply to a CHL or other license to carry, but due to the proximity to Lake Lavon, I figure i'd ask, in case it was some kind of weird edge case I dont know abut.

http://www.collincountytx.gov/parks/Pages/bratonia.aspx
http://www.rrcc.org/
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Weird "NO FIREARMS" sign at Bratonia Park, Princeton

Post by Pawpaw »

Looking at this COE map of Lake Lavon, the park is COE property, so carry is not allowed. Having a CHL/LTC doesn't matter.
Last edited by Pawpaw on Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

loktite

Post by loktite »

Pawpaw wrote:Looking at this [url=chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/lavon/ ... 0Final.pdf]COE map of Lake Lavon[/url], the park is COE property, so carry is not allowed. Having a CHL/LTC doesn't matter.
link didn't copy correctly (at least for non Chrome users)

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/lavon/ ... 0Final.pdf
NRA Endowment Member

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

loktite wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:Looking at this [url=chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/lavon/ ... 0Final.pdf]COE map of Lake Lavon[/url], the park is COE property, so carry is not allowed. Having a CHL/LTC doesn't matter.
link didn't copy correctly (at least for non Chrome users)

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/lavon/ ... 0Final.pdf
Thanks, I fixed it in my original post.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Just wondering, but is COE property typically posted as such? I don't know that I've ever been somewhere that was, but I guess I might have done so without knowing it if they don't have signs or anything. Is the only way to know by looking it up online?
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

LucasMcCain wrote:Just wondering, but is COE property typically posted as such? I don't know that I've ever been somewhere that was, but I guess I might have done so without knowing it if they don't have signs or anything. Is the only way to know by looking it up online?
JMHO - I've never seen signs too. I think it needs to be posted. I understand it's our responsibility to know where we can/cannot carry. But we can't know the boundaries without looking directly at a map.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

psijac

Post by psijac »

It's weird that drones have reached enough popularity to warrent it's own park. What next a robotic dog?
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

Solaris
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Solaris »

nitrogen wrote:Saw this sign over by the drone/RC area at Bratonia Park in Princeton:

I was open carrying at the time, and just put my stuff in my backpack "just in case."

I dont see any reason why this sign is legit, or would apply to a CHL or other license to carry, but due to the proximity to Lake Lavon, I figure i'd ask, in case it was some kind of weird edge case I dont know abut.
Why would it not be legit? Property owners can ban guns if they want - alcohol and fireworks too. Some exceptions might apply such as handguns by LTC or guns by LEOs, but in general it is a legit sign if you are not one of the exceptions.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Solaris wrote:
nitrogen wrote:Saw this sign over by the drone/RC area at Bratonia Park in Princeton:

Why would it not be legit? Property owners can ban guns if they want - alcohol and fireworks too. Some exceptions might apply such as handguns by LTC or guns by LEOs, but in general it is a legit sign if you are not one of the exceptions.
Private property owners can, but Texas government (state, county, local, etc.) cannot, with few exceptions. Other than the idea that this is COE land, carry would be 100% legal there, irrespective of any sign they put up.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

Vol Texan wrote:
Solaris wrote:

Private property owners can, but Texas government (state, county, local, etc.) cannot, with few exceptions. Other than the idea that this is COE land, carry would be 100% legal there, irrespective of any sign they put up.

There are no laws that prevent federal, state, county, local, etc., from putting up that sign and it being 100% enforceable if you are not one of the exceptions I alluded to.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Solaris wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:
Solaris wrote:

There are no laws that prevent federal, state, county, local, etc., from putting up that sign and it being 100% enforceable if you are not one of the exceptions I alluded to.
If state/local put up the signs it would violate state preemption of firearms laws, so they could not make it a criminal offense. It also arguably doesn't meet the requirements of 30.05 trespass law to bar your entry generally.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

ScottDLS wrote: If state/local put up the signs it would violate state preemption of firearms laws, so they could not make it a criminal offense.
No it would not violate that, as the law specifically allows it. Google-Fu FTW once again.

Sec. 229.001. FIREARMS; AIR GUNS; KNIVES; EXPLOSIVES. (a) Notwithstanding any other law, including Section 43.002 of this code and Chapter 251, Agriculture Code, a municipality may not adopt regulations relating to:
(1) the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, air guns, knives, ammunition, or firearm or air gun supplies; or
(2) the discharge of a firearm or air gun at a sport shooting range.
(b) Subsection (a) does not affect the authority a municipality has under another law to:
(6) regulate the carrying of a firearm or air gun by a person other than a person licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, at a:
(A) public park;

So as I wrote, unless you are one of the exceptions, the sign is enforceable.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Solaris wrote:
ScottDLS wrote: If state/local put up the signs it would violate state preemption of firearms laws, so they could not make it a criminal offense.
No it would not violate that, as the law specifically allows it. Google-Fu FTW once again.

Sec. 229.001. FIREARMS; AIR GUNS; KNIVES; EXPLOSIVES. (a) Notwithstanding any other law, including Section 43.002 of this code and Chapter 251, Agriculture Code, a municipality may not adopt regulations relating to:
(1) the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, air guns, knives, ammunition, or firearm or air gun supplies; or
(b) Subsection (a) does not affect the authority a municipality has under another law to:
(6) regulate the carrying of a firearm or air gun by a person other than a person licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, at a:
(A) public park;

Only a 30.06 or 30.07 or a sign trying to prohibit concealed carry by a license holder would violate the rule.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

LucasMcCain wrote:Just wondering, but is COE property typically posted as such? I don't know that I've ever been somewhere that was, but I guess I might have done so without knowing it if they don't have signs or anything. Is the only way to know by looking it up online?
To my knowledge, there are no specific signage requirements for COE land. For example, there are huge areas of COE land on the west side of Houston, both north and south of I-10, and in addition to streets large and small there are walking and biking trails that cross into and out of the COE land without signs demarcating the property.

Doubly confusing is that much of this land is also designated as Harris County parkland, specifically Bear Creek Park and George Bush Park. You would correctly think that LTC/CHL carry could not legally be prohibited in a municipal or county park, but in this case the land is owned by the ACOE, not the county.

American Shooting Center in George Bush Park even sits on COE land (with street names like "Shooting Center Drive" and "Sporting Clay Loop") which is legal if the ACOE specifically allows it. So, AFAIK, it isn't always easy to know when you cross onto COE property, and whether or not it's legal to have a firearm with you when you do.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Solaris wrote:

(A) public park;

Yes. I see you are correct, although interestingly if you have a LTC, they couldn't prevent you from carrying an air gun or other firearm including a long gun....that is all assuming this wasn't ACOE land, which it is.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”