New gun. Am I being picky?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 4

New gun. Am I being picky?

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Maybe not exactly a "new" gun. But I had a custom slide made for my Glock 43x frame I bought earlier in the year. Got a street comp installed on a threaded barrel and an RDS milled into the slide with a Holosun mounted to it. After 3 months waiting for it to be completed, I took it to the range for the first time last week and it was consistently shooting to the right. Being my first red dot gun, I forgot to bring a tool to adjust it. Iron sights were dead on though.

So I emailed the company that I bought the setup with and they said that due to the ammo shortage, they only function test the gun and do not sight it in. I was a little upset about that but took it at face value and figured I would just get some additional trigger time with the gun sighting it in.

I go to clean the gun up a couple of days later and found that the red dot is loose. Emailed them again and was told that the screws from Holosun come with loctite on them already so they do not use/do anything additional.

Am I wrong to expect this to work a little better? Or am I just being picky?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New gun. Am I being picky?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I’d expect it to work.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

madwildcat

Post by madwildcat »

Given the likely amount spent getting this setup, I agree with TAM, it should just work.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I agree with the others. It should work properly and not be loose. That being said. When something like that happens to me, I lose trust in the people doing the work. If it is something you can correct yourself, I would do that before waiting another three months for them to fix it.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Just take the dot off and re-mount it with blue loc tite on the screws and the torque the screws to the correct torque spec. Sight it in and Problem solved.

strogg

Post by strogg »

So... You paid good money for a lot of work, then got everything done perfectly except for them forgetting to co-witness your RDS with the irons, then they didn't tighten the screws on the RDS? That seems wrong. The only circumstance I can think of that being somewhat excusable is if you ordered prefabbed parts through them, and they offered to put it together for you no charge since you bought all the parts there. That is, you paid all parts, no labor.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

I would also expect it to be correct but if the sight was tightened correctly according to the instructions, I would blame the manufacturer plus the installers.

That being said, I never trust the locking compound pre-applied to threads. I always add my own as too many times, the screws, bolts, or threaded inserts become loose with the pre-applied compound.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

jason812 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:31 am I never trust the locking compound pre-applied to threads. I always add my own as too many times, the screws, bolts, or threaded inserts become loose with the pre-applied compound.
I have had the same issue. I also apply my own.

DEB

Post by DEB »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:43 am
jason812 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:31 am I never trust the locking compound pre-applied to threads. I always add my own as too many times, the screws, bolts, or threaded inserts become loose with the pre-applied compound.
I have had the same issue. I also apply my own.
:iagree: I had a 1SG that brought me into his office when I was promoted to SGT. He told me that there were 4 words I needed to know to be a success in the US Army. I asked him what those 4 words were and he answered, "Trust Not, Want Not". Then he told me to get my tail out of his office and get to work. He was a 3 War Veteran, WW2, Korea and Vietnam. So, I took those words to heart.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

flechero

Post by flechero »

I'd be a bit disappointed in the work/price paid, but all things considered... your solutions are quick, easy and inexpensive. Fix it, call it a win and enjoy the "new" gun!! (letting the anger fester may unconsciously bias you against that gun)

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I'd regard those as jobs that I can and should accomplish. My one gripe would be if the loctite prevents you from loosening and re-tightening the screw. I expect to sight my guns in myself using my loads/intended factory ammo.

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

I wouldn't expect it to be zeroed unless they explicitly stated that it was part of their service.

I'd be a little annoyed about the screws backing out, but I'd also just re-loctite them and torque them down again.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Topic author
Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Thanks everybody for the input. Although I am disappointed about the red dot not being sighted in, the lack of ammo availability seemed like a week excuse. I went ahead and took the gun to a local gunsmith I know to look at it as I didn't have a means of torqueing it down properly. He is concerned that it's stripped as the screw started spinning. Going to see if it holds but I'm letting the company that did the work know about this to cover my ass in case this fails. Taking it to the range again this week to run a couple of hundred rounds through it and see if it's holding.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:52 am I went ahead and took the gun to a local gunsmith I know to look at it as I didn't have a means of torqueing it down properly. He is concerned that it's stripped as the screw started spinning.
That's a whole different issue, entirely. I'd be looking for either a proper repair or the reimbursement for same.

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

flechero wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:18 am
Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:52 am I went ahead and took the gun to a local gunsmith I know to look at it as I didn't have a means of torqueing it down properly. He is concerned that it's stripped as the screw started spinning.
That's a whole different issue, entirely. I'd be looking for either a proper repair or the reimbursement for same.

Yeah, that would change things entirely for me.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”