Does your Carry/Defense Semi-Auto Function Flawlessly?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Double Naught Spy
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Does your Carry/Defense Semi-Auto Function Flawlessly?

Post by Double Naught Spy »

4 months out and we have 16 folks who have expressed interest in participating, but we still have slots available!

Topic author
JohnKSa
Posts in topic: 8

Post by JohnKSa »

Results are in!

The only gun to finish the match malfunction free was a G17 purchased used by the current owner.

Rather than cross-post a bunch of information, I'm just going to provide a link to the results. I will be updating the results as I continue to sift through the data collected at the match, so you'll want to check back from time to time.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/sho ... p?t=324738

The guns that finished 1 and 2 in the match were the two cheapest guns shot that day. They were both purchased used.

Data collection was a bit more focused this year and that yielded some useful results. Information relating to equipment selection, chamber empty carry and slide-release vs. slingshot for loading the first round.
Do you know about the TEXAS State Rifle Association?

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Greybeard »

Good info. Thanks for posting.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Furyataurus
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Furyataurus »

Is there going to be a 2010 shoot????

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

I don't understand the point of this. If you have a CHL you should have a working knowledge of your firearm and its reliability with the ammo that it will shoot. Relying on some sort of test is irrelevant.

Furyataurus

Post by Furyataurus »

It's more like a competition really. Whose gun can last the longest without having any problems. If there's going to be one next year I need to start saving up ammo now and set it aside and NOT use it!!!!!! :smilelol5: Some people think "their" brand is THE BEST, this competition is your chance to prove it. The data they collect is interesting as well.

Topic author
JohnKSa

Post by JohnKSa »

Is there going to be a 2010 shoot????
At this time, the plan is to continue having these matches annually.
I don't understand the point of this. If you have a CHL you should have a working knowledge of your firearm and its reliability with the ammo that it will shoot. Relying on some sort of test is irrelevant.
Did you read the results in the link I posted?

The point is less about the SPECIFIC guns and ammunition used in the match and more about semi-automatic pistol function issues in general.

It's true that I've learned things about each of the two guns I've shot in these matches so far, but I've also learned some very general lessons about semi-automatic pistols from the overall results. Those lessons are more useful than the specific things I discovered about my own pistols.

dac1842

Post by dac1842 »

IF I have had to use 1000 rounds in a firefight I would have already either called 911 or Ellington Field for an airstrike.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

frazzled wrote:I don't understand the point of this. If you have a CHL you should have a working knowledge of your firearm and its reliability with the ammo that it will shoot. Relying on some sort of test is irrelevant.
What is the point of any competition Whether it be WWE, MLB or the Houston Rockets?
It is just about the competition, or maybe just a little bit the bragging rights.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
JohnKSa

Post by JohnKSa »

IF I have had to use 1000 rounds in a firefight I would have already either called 911 or Ellington Field for an airstrike.
The point isn't that anyone expects to shoot 1000 rounds in an SD/HD situation, the point is that this is a way to show up minor issues that might not otherwise be noted at all.

A typical malfunction rate for a good quality gun with factory magazines and ammunition is perhaps 3 rounds in 1000. If you get to the range once or twice a month to shoot 50-100 rounds and have a couple of guns, you might note a malfunction once or twice in a YEAR. At that sort of "rate", unless you keep very stringent records you probably won't even take notice of the malfunction.

A lot of people assume that shooting 1000 rounds without cleaning will somehow cause the situation to be more stressing. In the general case that is not true--in fact, in both matches so far, the number of malfunctions per stage has DECREASED over the course of the match. In other words, as the guns get MORE rounds through them and get more fouling buildup, they get MORE reliable in general. I suspect at some point that would cease to be true, but up to 1000 rounds, it doesn't seem to be an issue.

The point of shooting a LOT of rounds in a relatively short time while stringent records are being kept is that you can show up issues that might otherwise go unnoticed. The bigger point is that the information is useful to other people who actually take the time to look at the results instead of just dismissing it out of hand. ;-)

AEA

Post by AEA »

All of my 1911's (EB - Kobra Carry, Wilson - Protector and Colt LW Commander) function flawlessly when firing the 24 rounds I have in 3 mags. They work fine for what I use them for, SD. ;-)
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”