Gun safe upstairs?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun safe upstairs?

Post by ELB »

Hey, not to worry as long as it passed the UL tests for fire resistance for that model safe. One of the tests is to drop the safe 30 feet onto a pile of bricks without the safe coming open.* This simulates it falling through the second story floor, right on through the first floor, and into the basement. So see, even if something bad does happen, it won't spill your guns and jewelry all over the place. Nothing to worry about! Just patch the holes and leave the safe in the basement!

:mrgreen:

*I believe the heat the safe also, before performing the test. The test is to simulate a the situation in a fire where a safe on the second floor falls through fire-weakened floors.
USAF 1982-2005

USMC-COL

Post by USMC-COL »

Plenty of good advice above. I only have a single-floor house so that was not a concern for me. However, I had an armed and locked "arms room" built into my house when the house was built (behind my laundry room) where my safe(s) went into. Bolting it to the floor is a plus.
Respectfully and Semper Fi,
F. Phil Torres
Colonel of Marines, Retired
Independent Security Contractor
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Unarmed Combat Instructor
NRA Life Member

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

When I first bought my safe, I had it put in upstairs. The guys who delivered it (lonestar gun safes in Houston) had a dolly with an extra set of wheels and a jack that let it walk itself up the stairs. The thing could spin around pretty easily also. I think they had two guys, but the 2nd guy was just making sure mats were laid down to make sure the hard floors didn't get scratched.

The big problem for me was if I wanted to move it somewhere else later.

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

I used Lonestar as well and had them bolt into a back room of the garage, Air conditioned with no windows. They will move for you if needed, I think he told me $99 but I live a long way from his shop. To change rooms probably wouldnt be much. I got the 6637 so no way to move myself.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”