Who's been to Gunsite?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 3

Who's been to Gunsite?

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

So I've got a 250 class scheduled for the end of July and looking for some feedback on what to bring and also where to stay locally.

Not my first training class so I have some ideas on what to bring, but want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything (especially from someone has already attended a class there). Like I have knee pads, but are elbow pads really necessary? Also a friend of mine suggested bringing a shooting mat for laying on the ground. Thoughts?

Also looking for ideas on where to stay within 30 minutes of the range. Thought about camping at the range but not sure what to expect. I've seen some suggestions on what I would consider a "hostel" near the range. Essentially sharing a house but having your own bed. Not sure how I feel about that but would be cool to be sharing a space with someone taking the class. Maybe considering a rental house depending on cost. More than likely getting a room at a hotel. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for help and suggestions!

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Who's been to Gunsite?

Post by troglodyte »

I went a few years ago and took the Church Defense class (modified 250).

As for gear:
-Take a loader like a Maglula UpLula...unless you have bionic thumbs.
-Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen
-Tinted glasses for the range. Clear glasses for the Fun House and Play House.
-A good hat that works with your ear pro.
-Comfortable shoes(boots) that have good traction. You'll be moving a bit on dirt and small rocks and clearing the Donga.
-I found a bandana was also nice to keep the sun off your neck, and if it's hot, to dampen.
-Drinks and snacks. They provide water but I added some powdered sports drink every third bottle or so. It was not hot while we were there (snow one the ground the first couple of days) but dehydration was still possible.
-Pack a sack lunch. The box lunches are expensive and didn't look that good. A third party provides them so it may have changed.
-Bring a backup gun in case yours takes a dump.
-Extra mags +1 more. I carried two mag holsters and then tucked two more in my cargo pockets. There was one point I wasn't sure I was going to have enough. They stress tactical reloads often.
-I could have used some knee pads on the Urban Scrambler but didn't wear them. It wasn't bad. Never saw a need for elbow pads but our course was a little different so the 250 may need them.
-Meds, Ibuprofen, nail clippers, anything that you might need if you get a boo-boo on the range. They have first aid kits but it was nice to be able to trim a chipped nail without concerning the instructors.

Camping:
The RV camp is every bit as good as a KOA. No shop but the bathrooms are nice and full-hook ups. They also have a small laundry. Take your own detergent but if you forget someone probably left some. There is also a small range in case you find time to practice a little more. They suggest that you go to the bathhouse/laundry armed as there have been cat sightings. If you have a trailer I would stay on-site. By the end of the day, a 45 minute drive into Prescott just makes the day longer. And the next morning comes too fast.

Hotels: There are several at Prescott (about 35-45 minutes) and on the way to Gunsite. From the looks that the instructors gave when the place right out of the Gunsite gate came up I think I would avoid it.

The people are about the best you can find.

I am itching to get back to Gunsite. They say it changes you and it does.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Topic author
Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Thanks for the insight! Most of the gear I have but do need to add some sun blocking stuff like sun screen and some sort of neck gator and maybe some white long sleeve shirts to keep the sun off of my arms. Also Gator Aid/Sport Drinks. I normally just drink water but not sure what the weather is like in Arizona and at that altitude. I've taken a few summer shooting classes here in Texas and they always wear me out.

No travel trailer, just a tent. I think I'm going to pass on camping this time. Still looking at places to stay.
Last edited by Jose_in_Dallas on Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 2

Post by troglodyte »

While I do believe they allow tent camping you will definitely want a hotel room. You’ll want a nice bed and AC after a full day.

I believe there is a Days Inn in Chino Valley, just a few minutes away. You might call the Gunsite office and see if they have any suggestions. They are very helpful.

You might want to throw in an extra pair of boots and socks just in case it happens to rain. The range can get muddy.

If you’re staying off-site I’d probably throw a change of clothes in the vehicle just in case. Rain gear is probably not going to be needed but you never know. I wasn’t expecting to stand in 8” of snow, then mud when it melted, on the line.

During the day, listen and do. They have great instructors that know what they’re talking about. If you follow what they ask you will be better.

Every night, do your homework, clean your gun, stay hydrated, and get rest. It is a great week but it can wear you out. I thought I had plans of driving into town a few nights and seeing the sights. I made it to Prescott one night, mainly just to buy another pair of boots for the mud. I was just too tired.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little bit envious.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Topic author
Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Forgot to mention earlier that Gunsite actually has a list of recommended/suggested places to stay.

https://www.gunsite.com/about-us/lodgin ... e-academy/

I'm probably leaning towards the Days Inn out of convenience and familiarity (staying in a hotel). I would stay in a rental house if I can find some good feedback and it's close/cheaper.

As far as clothing and footwear, I've got a couple of pairs of hiking shoes/boots that I bring as well as some regular walking shoes. Having got caught in a change of weather, I usually bring a rain jacket as well and some warm layering clothing just in case.

I've taken multiple two day classes and one three day classes (Thunder Ranch in Texas a couple of years back). Really looking forward to 5 days of firearms immersion.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”