Anyone use Ship My Gun?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 3

Anyone use Ship My Gun?

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Any good or bad experience with it? Needing to mail a gun out to Arizona and weighing my options. While I'm on the subject, any recommendations for an FFL to ship with? I went to Texas Gun Experience and they quote me something along the lines of $55 to ship it plus transfer fee I believe.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anyone use Ship My Gun?

Post by puma guy »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:40 pm Any good or bad experience with it? Needing to mail a gun out to Arizona and weighing my options. While I'm on the subject, any recommendations for an FFL to ship with? I went to Texas Gun Experience and they quote me something along the lines of $55 to ship it plus transfer fee I believe.
I don't ship guns, but several of the vendors and especially auctions I frequent use them. Shipping costs are always lower when the are the shipper.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

If you are shipping to a FFL just verify his FFL and use FedEx or UPS. No need to use anyone to ship it for you unless that is just what you want to do.

Topic author
Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Oh?? I thought I heard somewhere in the past year or so that UPS and FedEx had changed their rules about shipping guns through them. Which is why I was looking to ship through an FFL. It's been a while since I've mailed one out and in the recent past, I was using a buddy of mine who had an FFL to mail my stuff out. Unfortunately he closed out earlier this year.

If this is the case, I have a FedEx office I have used in the past in Irving to mail out guns. I'll double check with them and make sure the FFL I am mailing to will accept it from me directly. Thanks all!

NewGunGuy3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by NewGunGuy3 »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:40 pm Any good or bad experience with it? Needing to mail a gun out to Arizona and weighing my options. While I'm on the subject, any recommendations for an FFL to ship with? I went to Texas Gun Experience and they quote me something along the lines of $55 to ship it plus transfer fee I believe.
Is there a reason you're shipping rather than carrying the gun to the destination? Even if traveling by air, it's relatively simple to do. There are plenty of videos on YT which explain the process.

I purchased some Storm cases to carry handguns (double level for 4 weapons) https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/c ... orm/im2200 as well as long cases https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/c ... orm/im3300 all without foam then custom cut my foam for the rifles I was carrying (AR-style as well as bolt action precision). I bought regular padlocks (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Lock ... /202260755 in 4-packs so that I use same-keyed sets of locks on the cases. That way, i only have to carry 1 or 2 extra keys on my key ring.

Other than having to do the TSA dance on departure and waiting for luggage to come out on the arrival, and occasionally an over zealous airline check-in clerk who wants you to practically unpack everything in the case, I've had a seamless experience flying close to two dozen times with weapons for multi-day classes. I've traveled with SBRs and suppressors as well with no problems. Just make sure to do the NFA dance with the ATF form for SBR's well in advance of the trip. Sometimes they are quick to respond so carry the response. otherwise, carry your copy of the form. No one has ever checked mine but be prepared.

If I'm not buying ammo locally, I pre-ship the ammo to the hotel via UPS. Pack it well and make sure you use the correct chevron on the box. More information here: https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/shipp ... ition.page Some UPS stores will accept the box, some wont. If you're not sure, call the store and ask them if they accept boxes with the hazardous materials chevron on it. Don't tell them it's ammo. The chevron is what matters. I live pretty close to the DFW airport so I just go to the airport customer service counter and again, never had a problem. I ship a week ahead of time so it's there a couple days before I arrive, The hotel just holds it for me to claim. Other than the chevron there's nothing else on the box that indicates there's ammo, it's just heavy.

If you want to talk about the process, feel free to ping me and we can exchange contact information.

p.s. if traveling by car, which I have done once or twice, I still carry the weapon(s) in the locked cases and bring them into the hotel with me if I have to spend a night on the road.

I hope this helps.
Last edited by NewGunGuy3 on Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:05 am Oh?? I thought I heard somewhere in the past year or so that UPS and FedEx had changed their rules about shipping guns through them. Which is why I was looking to ship through an FFL. It's been a while since I've mailed one out and in the recent past, I was using a buddy of mine who had an FFL to mail my stuff out. Unfortunately he closed out earlier this year.

If this is the case, I have a FedEx office I have used in the past in Irving to mail out guns. I'll double check with them and make sure the FFL I am mailing to will accept it from me directly. Thanks all!
NewGunGuy3 is right if you are sending the gun a head for you. I missed that. I thought you were sending it for someone else to pick up. Sorry if I got you confused.

With that being said to ship a gun to someone else you have to carry it to the FedEx Hub on 5000 Hanson Drive. It is off of Beltline and 161 or which ever one is closest for you. I use the one on Hanson drive a lot. You can’t use a FedEx “drop store”. It helps if you have a copy of their FFL. Be sure to put a copy of your DL in the package.

Topic author
Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

NO! Sorry I didn't clarify that. I sold a gun to a friend of mine in Arizona so needing to ship it to him. But, I'm also looking at throwing a gun or two on Gunbroker that I haven't had much luck selling locally and wanted to get an idea on the shipping process.

That being said, thanks for the info. I don't fly to often and haven't brought a gun with me when I have. I went to Gunsite last year and thought about flying but ultimately drove as I had time to burn and wanted to spend some time making stops along the way.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”